What type of leathers, 1 or 2 piece? - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
What type of leathers, 1 or 2 piece?

Hi guys,

So I have had my Brutale for a couple of years now, and I am sorry to say that I still don't own a proper set of leathers. Currently my riding gear consists of the following:-

Icon Basehawk Jacket
Furygan Kevlar Jeans
Icon 1000 boots

So far this has served my needs as I don't ride a lot and the journeys I do are short and not what you would call spirited. However recently I have found myself going on longer faster runs and I feel a little exposed, and with a 6 day tour round S Ireland coming up this year I am looking to get a proper set of leather.

Currently I am looking at nearly new used gear as being on fixed term employment and a 2yr old daughter, funds are tight.

So the main reason for this post is to work out of a 1 or 2 piece suit is best. I am not a racer, and dont intend to go to the track in the near future. I have spotted a set of AGV Sport SP6 leathers on ebay for £119, both as 1 Piece suit and a 2Piece Suit. Just not sure wich would be the best bet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AGVSPORT-...AAAOSwkChaorKP

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AGVSPORT-...kAAOSw~l5aoqnJ

I also clocked a nice MV AGUSTA Jacket that I like, Not sure its Genuine MV but looks smart and has CE armour in it.

2004 Matt Black/Grey Brutale 750s

Last edited by silentservice703; 04-23-2018 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Typo in title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:43 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
For just recreational riding I prefer a 2 piece suit. Make sure the jacket zips to the pants all the way round, not just a short tab at the back. It's nice to be able to shed the jacket while stopping for a meal or just to walk around. Can't do that in a one piece.

I own both. Alpinstar and a Lookwell MV one piece are for track use. I have a Lookwell MV 2-piece suit for everything else.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:49 PM
cus

2piece for me too and ditto on the zipping . Its a whole lot easier to take a crap with two piece leathers and walking around sightseeing or whatever when it is warm is easier too cause you can ditch the jacket
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:05 PM

New Site Garage
It gets warm in Tassie?

Cheers

Deano
nigelrb and nigelrb like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:09 PM
cus

Ha, when I go to the north island it gets warm. Another advantage of two piece for the road is you generally get more pockets, good for storing all your speeding tickets
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
It seems that you guys are confirming what I was already thinking, thanks. Looks like the 2 piece is the way to go for what I do.

2004 Matt Black/Grey Brutale 750s
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:14 PM
cus

A jacket with a removable liner makes it more versatile for when itís a bit chilly given our climates are similar I get a lot more use out of mine cause of this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:24 PM

New Site Garage
I went with a 1 piece I found on craigslist. Fits great, works great (I had a low side in it, slid over 25 feet, felt nothing).
In hindsight, a 2 piece would've been more ideal. For road riding, especially on hotter days, shedding the top part is an exercise I could do without. And I have one of those double zipper suits, which is easier than single.

The 1 piece suits look cooler, and indulged my fantasy of looking like a MotoGP racer, but don't really offer much more benefit.

Nighthawk 650 '83 prune/gunk
FZR 600 '93 red/white
F4 750 '03 red/silver
F3 800 '16 ABS red/silver
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:06 PM

New Site Garage
Road riding and a couple of twisties WITHOUT a trackday definitly go for a 2 piece suit. Make sure the jacket/pants zip together.
However if you're interested in doing some trackdays in the future definitly get a 1 piece suit. There are incidents that the zipper comes lose in a slide. Thats why alot of tracks demand 1 piece suit.

1 piece is always the best for safety.
I'd go for a 1 piece suit with a good undersuit so taking the leather suit off is no problem if you have to take a pits stop

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Black_Gold_Saw; 04-23-2018 at 05:15 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:44 PM

New Site Garage
Something that I try and make sure on is that the inseam of the pants has leather and not fabric. It allows me to have better grip on the tank. Most people I ride with use tank grips with kevlar pants. I prefer leather on paint... don't care that much about the paint but do not like tank pads/grips for the look. I'm sure leather and tank grips are the best in terms of grip.

I have one and two pieces. I got the two piece for summer and being able to shed the top off. In reality I just keep the top on anyway. The other things to consider is perforated leather or not. I actually use the not perforated when it gets cold and hot. I also shut all my vents... otherwise when it gets over 98 degrees F(and it does especially near the pavement) its like a hair dryer so sealing yourself off works better.

2014 MV Agusta F3 800 ABS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode