Advice on new bike purchase - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Advice on new bike purchase

Quick history. I started with a GSXR 1100, to an R6, to a 916, to an RC51, and finally a Gix 1k. I sold my Gix a few years ago and have been jonsin' to another bike. Right now I'm torn between a Ducati 1098 and MV 1000R 1+1.

1) The Duc is a hold over 08 which I can buy for 14k OTD.

2) The MV is a hold over 07 with 2 miles on it. I can pick it up for around 14,500 OTD.

The MV dealer is a couple hundred miles away from me so this will factor into my decision. I know this is an MV forum so I expect a little bias , but I also figure the members that frequent these boards are straight shooters who tell it like it is. With my job I don't have a lot of time to hit the track so 90% of my riding will be in the twisties (one plus for living in MT).

1) Are the MV's a fairly reliable bike or do they require a lot of maintenance?

2)How is their resale value?

3)Anyone here have a chance to compare both?

I appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Banned

go for the Duc dude

im pissed and pissed of with MV

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by F41NXS View Post
go for the Duc dude

im pissed and pissed of with MV

Thanks for your candidness. Exactly what issues have you had with it?
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Banned

shit poor customer service from 2003 to 2009 and shit poor spares

MV are shit in my eyes

nice bikes shit poor in everything else

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
That sucks to hear. You think when you spend that much money you would expect some level of customer service. Though I've heard Ducati isn't the greatest either.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Banned

Perhaps it may be the area you live in, check dealerships but also be aware dealers also require the spares

as I say nice bicycles shit poor everything else, Italian

go on, have another month off, enjoy your vacations as we await spares

mr MV.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:24 PM

Well my experience with MV has been fairly good so far if you don't count the release of the 312R less than a year after the release of the 1000R which essentially scuttled their value. As far as maintenance goes, I think you will find it pretty similar to a Ducati although I don't think a conventional valve train requires as much maintenance or is as critical as the Desmodronic system. Maintenance is pretty straightforward and easily done yourself if you have a decent set of tools and some mechanical ability. There will be a few specialty tools which you will need to get.

As far as the bike, I have had no major issues. I have had one warranty repair for the forks which had the coating wear off. MV replaced it without any hassle at all. Parts where in stock and took about a week to get them to the dealer. I was without my bike for two days only to get the work done and would have had the bike back sooner if i wasn't working anyway.

As for the bike itself, I like it more each time I ride it. it isn't without its quirks though and it will require a little fiddling to get right. if you owned an RC51 I am sure you must have fiddled with it a bit to get it good. The 1000r suffers from some emissions related fueling problems, mainly being lean at the bottom half of the RPM range. I think that you might be able to dial it out with the idle trim adjustment (Done electronically) or you can buy the race ECU or there is an aftermarket ECU available from one of the British members X-81 which sounds like a good option, though a bit pricey. Suspension is set up pretty harsh from the factory but can be dialed in pretty decent using the clickers. Everything else is top notch on the bike. As far as comparing it to Ducati it is a bit of a different animal. The 1098's had their fair share of problems, including fueling which may have been resolved at this point. Ducati does offer some intangibles, i.e. Ducati Island at the races, and has a much bigger following. If that is the experience you are looking for you may be better going with the Ducati, right now MV is failing with that aspect of the ownership experience.
I don't regret my purchase, I love the bike, but I do recognize it also isn't perfect so don't expect it to be and you won't be disappointed.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:08 AM

sigh. If you have posted this a month ago, my answer would be totally different. Personally, I think a F4R is a better bike over the 1098 but I think you should go with the 1098 because of the lack of dealer in your area. Unless you don't mind renting a uHaul and trailing the bike for major services.

Reliability. I think the biggest issues with the F41000 is they tend to run hot (like most modern liter bikes) and the radiator are susceptible to cracking due to flexing. MV has an updated radiator with "beefier" mounts but I'm not sure if the F4R have them. Recent 312R do.

In terms of resale value, I think you're better off with the F4R. It was a $22K bike that you're now getting for $14.5! The 1098 was a $15K bike that you're now getting for $14K.

I've had a 1098 and a F4S and liked the handling on the F4S better. Brakes on the F4R and 1098 should be the same. As for power delivery, it's the 4 cylinder vs. V-twin debate that, looking at the bikes you've had, I'm pretty sure you're familiar with.

Reason, I mentioned my answer would be different is about a month ago my F4S had it's second cracked radiator. It was out of warranty but MV Agusta USA agreed to cover it under a goodwill warranty (THAT'S GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE). The problem is my bike was in the shop for almost a month with no ETA on when the radiator would arrive. So, I ended up trading my F4S for an 1198.

If you when with the F4R, you'd be covered under warranty and if not, you could probably get the radiator repair through a competent local shop. So, that's another option if you still decide to go with an F4R.

On a side note, I think you can get a 312R for about $18K or less. I was offered $20K OTD for three local CA dealers (and factor our tax is 9.25&#37. So, I don't know if a 2008 312 would be of interest to you. More power, better fueling, and most likely the updated radiator.

Last edited by Allan Gibbs; 05-17-2009 at 12:15 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:30 AM

go with the mv. owner of the local mv/ducati dealer specifically told me the mv is a better bike in fit and finish. better craftsmenship. hand made in much much lower quantities.

watch both "twist the throttle" specials on discovery (mv and ducati) and then make up your mind!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
sigh. If you have posted this a month ago, my answer would be totally different. Personally, I think a F4R is a better bike over the 1098 but I think you should go with the 1098 because of the lack of dealer in your area. Unless you don't mind renting a uHaul and trailing the bike for major services.

Reliability. I think the biggest issues with the F41000 is they tend to run hot (like most modern liter bikes) and the radiator are susceptible to cracking due to flexing. MV has an updated radiator with "beefier" mounts but I'm not sure if the F4R have them. Recent 312R do.

In terms of resale value, I think you're better off with the F4R. It was a $22K bike that you're now getting for $14.5! The 1098 was a $15K bike that you're now getting for $14K.

I've had a 1098 and a F4S and liked the handling on the F4S better. Brakes on the F4R and 1098 should be the same. As for power delivery, it's the 4 cylinder vs. V-twin debate that, looking at the bikes you've had, I'm pretty sure you're familiar with.

Reason, I mentioned my answer would be different is about a month ago my F4S had it's second cracked radiator. It was out of warranty but MV Agusta USA agreed to cover it under a goodwill warranty (THAT'S GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE). The problem is my bike was in the shop for almost a month with no ETA on when the radiator would arrive. So, I ended up trading my F4S for an 1198.

If you when with the F4R, you'd be covered under warranty and if not, you could probably get the radiator repair through a competent local shop. So, that's another option if you still decide to go with an F4R.

On a side note, I think you can get a 312R for about $18K or less. I was offered $20K OTD for three local CA dealers (and factor our tax is 9.25%). So, I don't know if a 2008 312 would be of interest to you. More power, better fueling, and most likely the updated radiator.
i forget, what year was your f4?

mine's an 06--should i begin asking about the radiator? no issues that i know of yet...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode