Pirelli Diablo Superbike Slick Tyre Shredding - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Pirelli Diablo Superbike Slick Tyre Shredding

Normally for racing and trackdays, i have used the Pirelli Supercorsa Pro Sc2/3 combination on my bikes, but this year i thought i'd try the Pirelli Diablo Superbike slicks, to see if i could feel any diff on traction etc...

What i didnt expect was the tyres being shredded very very quickly ..as the older version slick was similiar compound to the supercorsa pro but without a tread pattern

Settings:-
Cold pressures - front 30 psi, rear 28psi and tyre warmers used after each session

I have been told, that these slicks are definetaly diff to the Supercorsa's and if used for trackdays, should have at least 31psi in the rear , as at 28psi they are to soft, as trackday use does not get them hot enough .... so they tear/shred..

I thought i was pushing the rear, but obviously not enough, i also tried to dial in a bit more compression, whcih seemed to help for a while, but after a few heat cycles, they started tearing/shredding up again

Has anybody else come accross this using these tyres..???

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:12 AM
The Machinist

That pressure seems really high to me especially if they're cold temps. I run those pressures on warm tires at 170 degrees (with sc2/3), and slicks should be even less than that.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
i was thinking the same thing. i have power races (not slicks) and i run the rear at the recommended 24 cold and 28 front. I have a brochure for Pirelli's at home that list some of the recommended pressures that i will check and repost.

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Guys , when i was racing pirelli supercorsa's sc2 front 30psi and sc3 rear 28psi was the normal thing in the paddock .. so i followed these for 2 years racing..

But with these slicks, its seems you have to keep them hot and they dont like many heat cycles... so if i'm not pushing them hard enough or long enough, they dont get upto the correct working temp, and shear/tear .. so buy putting the rear to 31psi, this enables the tyre to get to the working temp faster, with less effort .. if u understand my meaning..

This was from a recommended suspension company MCT in the uk, that are at least equivalent to K-Tec

http://www.mctechnics.co.uk/home.htm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 04:11 PM
The Machinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Guys , when i was racing pirelli supercorsa's sc2 front 30psi and sc3 rear 28psi was the normal thing in the paddock .. so i followed these for 2 years racing..

But with these slicks, its seems you have to keep them hot and they dont like many heat cycles... so if i'm not pushing them hard enough or long enough, they dont get upto the correct working temp, and shear/tear .. so buy putting the rear to 31psi, this enables the tyre to get to the working temp faster, with less effort .. if u understand my meaning..

This was from a recommended suspension company MCT in the uk, that are at least equivalent to K-Tec

http://www.mctechnics.co.uk/home.htm

I was going to say that but didn't want to sound mean.

But the tire isn't designed to run at those pressures. What were the pressures when the tire was warm?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Harris View Post
I was going to say that but didn't want to sound mean.

But the tire isn't designed to run at those pressures. What were the pressures when the tire was warm?
lol..

I didnt check them when warm.. but will next saturday as i'm at snetterton ..

i didnt have the problem at Jerez though and i know portamao park algar is a rough surface, also the new slick i put on, was okay during the morning, and then iafter a session in the afternoon, i didnt put the warmers on.. so it could have been mising that cycle that caused it..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
Here is that info on Pirelli's if anyone is still interested. Note that these are all hot temps from the comments on the right side. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Pirelli Tire Info.PDF (460.7 KB, 286 views)

Motorcycle Art!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneggs&ham View Post
Here is that info on Pirelli's if anyone is still interested. Note that these are all hot temps from the comments on the right side. Hope this helps.
Good man .. ;-) many thanks..

Amazing how its says for the Diablo Superbike slick

"- Tire warmers not required but strongly recommended"

And amazed that HOT temp for the rear is 28psi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
I know. i would think for slicks they would say they are necessary. I think they are just trying to sell tires. Most people would buy the tires first, then realize they must have tire warmers for slick...but who knows, glad i could help.

They might already have them, but i wish all tire makers would have a cheat sheet like this one.

Motorcycle Art!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneggs&ham View Post
I know. i would think for slicks they would say they are necessary. I think they are just trying to sell tires. Most people would buy the tires first, then realize they must have tire warmers for slick...but who knows, glad i could help.

They might already have them, but i wish all tire makers would have a cheat sheet like this one.
I wonder what pressure COLD equates to 28psi HOT ?? 22psi ?? lol..

Can u imagine riding out the pit garage on 22psi without using warmers.. hahahah

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode