MV needs a little more thinking like this... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

MV needs a little more thinking like this...

Ducati shows up at the Sea Otter Classic - one of the US's biggest bicycle events with a fleet of demo Hypermotards. Want people to spend in a down economy? Think outside of the box, promote and show a rabid audience the fun of powered two wheelers. I know a TON of guys that are into bikes and BIKES.

Seems HD is making some small steps in terms of distro. Let's hope their marketing dept knows how to juice a brand that so badly needs it.

http://seaotter.mtbr.com/2009/04/28/...#comment-30499
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 03:19 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Anyone who bought HOG at $10 or better a few months ago might agree that HD knows what they are doing.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Anyone who bought HOG at $10 or better a few months ago might agree that HD knows what they are doing.

Actions speak louder than words. I don't think HD's stock rise has as much to do with belief in the co as much as it does with the fact that most stocks were oversold. The market has been rising despite bad news simply because it's become status quo (stress test results being delayed, FedEx and Apple laying off employees, next wave of home defaults ready to happen later this year).

Ducati and HD have both built a lifestyle image for their consumers. HD has done it ad nauseum by licensing everything from Ford trucks to baby clothes. Ducati's done a good job of taking a page from the HD playbook with an extensive line of clothing and Tumi bags. But now that people can't (and won't) tap into their HELOCs, they better find new buyers with some cash. It may seem like a joke, but cyclists are every bit as rabid about their sport and many are very well healed. In fact, it's a PERFECT extension because many bikes now push the $10K envelope and the best components come from Italy so the passion for Italian design and craftmanship is already established.

All I'm saying is that I hope as they get their ducks in a row, they make an aggressive push for brand recognition. Maybe some of the exclusivity we all enjoy will be lost, but I'm willing to trade that for the health of the company and (selfishly) the ability to order a part and not have it take 3 months if I'm lucky.

Last edited by burgesscb; 05-01-2009 at 04:29 PM.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgesscb View Post
Actions speak louder than words. I don't think HD's stock rise has as much to do with belief in the co as much as it does with the fact that most stocks were oversold. The market has been rising despite bad news simply because it's become status quo (stress test results being delayed, FedEx and Apple laying off employees, next wave of home defaults ready to happen later this year).

Ducati and HD have both built a lifestyle image for their consumers. HD has done it ad nauseum by licensing everything from Ford trucks to baby clothes. Ducati's done a good job of taking a page from the HD playbook with an extensive line of clothing and Tumi bags. But now that people can't (and won't) tap into their HELOCs, they better find new buyers with some cash. It may seem like a joke, but cyclists are every bit as rabid about their sport and many are very well healed. In fact, it's a PERFECT extension because many bikes now push the $10K envelope and the best components come from Italy so the passion for Italian design and craftmanship is already established.

All I'm saying is that I hope as they get their ducks in a row, they make an aggressive push for brand recognition. Maybe some of the exclusivity we all enjoy will be lost, but I'm willing to trade that for the health of the company and (selfishly) the ability to order a part and not have it take 3 months if I'm lucky.

WELL SAID my friend!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 11:13 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
The fact that the broad averages are up 30% from the march lows while HD is up 100% is due to more than it being oversold, imho. I don't think things are as bad as everyone thought.

Put me in the camp that believes they know EXACTLY what they are doing. I don't know what they will do for the brand, but they are going to do what makes money for HD.

I've heard from various members that post here that parts supply has improved. A lot. That's a start. As far as what their plan is for MV, who knows?

I'll take a guess that they are going to make the name as recognizable as Ducati and at some point in the future MV will be offering more than two models. (Naked and Sport)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 02:27 PM

There'll be MV trikes and MV golf carts and MV dirt bikes and MV sauce pans and MV pet stores. It's gonna be great.

Time is a delusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstoppable View Post
..... and MV pet stores. It's gonna be great.
....selling lizards to the F4 guys.......

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 10:29 PM

mmmmmm... lizards!!!!!

Happiness is Red and Silver.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
....selling lizards to the F4 guys.......
And pussies for the bruties?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstoppable View Post
There'll be MV trikes and MV golf carts and MV dirt bikes and MV sauce pans and MV pet stores. It's gonna be great.
Yes, but when your MV lizard dies, you'll have to wait more than 30 days for the replacement.

No, seriously, I heard MV is positioning itself to make a really strong comeback.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode