Considering an F3 800 - MVAgusta.net
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By Bruce Taylor
  • 6 Post By sonusfabiker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Considering an F3 800

Even though I have only had my TV ( 2016 model) for a few days I am already considering scooping up a leftover 2014 F3 800.

I am completely smitten with the design and execution of MV bikes. I want them as much to ogle the beauty as to ride.

Is there any known reason to stay away from this particular year?

It is a brand new bike and it will come with a full 2 year warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 08:41 AM

New Site Garage
Sprag cluch problem? Early models had major issues with that.
Since you're getting 2 years of warranty any issue will be fixed for free.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:22 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Taylor
Owned three F3's over the last five years, 675, 800 and then the RC, each covering in the region of 10,000 miles

Sprag clutch and exhaust valve issues with the last two, but all dealt with under warranty, so it has not been a real problem.

If you are not riding it, you can always sit and look at it, there is nothing better

About to switch to a Dragster RR, I hope it's not a mistake
Attached Images

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 12:55 PM

I've had a 675 an 800 also , and as you just the starter span and exhaust valve on the 2012 675 apart from that no real proplems
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 12:56 PM

nuisance predictive keypad, should be sprag !
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 01:03 PM

New Site Garage
Sorry for hijacking your thread;

What is the difference between F3 800RC -17(euro3) and F3 800RC -18(euro4)??

I’m right in the middle of closing a deal on the F3RC, but can’t really decide which year model to go with.
The -18 doesn’t look as great as the -17, but if they’ve made some improvements on the -18 then maybe it’s better to buy that one.

Thanks.

1120 F4RC -2017 MOTUL. Euro 3. The last of the best of the best!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 05:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Taylor
Take at this website which has all the information:

MV AGUSTA F3 675 RC & F3 800 RC - Model Year 2018 | MV Agusta

And of course there is an increase in cost.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasF4 View Post
Sorry for hijacking your thread;

What is the difference between F3 800RC -17(euro3) and F3 800RC -18(euro4)??

Iím right in the middle of closing a deal on the F3RC, but canít really decide which year model to go with.
The -18 doesnít look as great as the -17, but if theyíve made some improvements on the -18 then maybe itís better to buy that one.

Thanks.

I hear they have extended the warranty an extra year on the Euro4 bikes, I've also read a couple articles that max power was down a touch.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 07:59 AM

I just purchased a brand new 2016 F3 800. As soon as I could, I had a local MV mechanic run the latest software update. Turns out the latest update not only fixes the fueling, but he swears it solves the sprag issue.

My layman's interpretation of his explanation - which others here may be able to explain more technically, and correct my butchering of the story - was that the earlier software was mistiming the ignition (on startup) in a way that effectively caused the engine to fight the starter motor. The poor sprag clutch was the piece in the middle getting pummeled. This was why no other solutions reliably solved the problem.

According to him, there is nothing wrong with the F3 sprag itself. It was always a bad software issue. So APPARENTLY the latest 2017 software should fix any potential sprag problem on a 2014 bike.

It certainly changed the sound of the startup straight away. It went from sounding somewhat laboured to sounding free and fast. The mechanic pointed it out and he was right. You can hear the difference.

Of course, there may still be carryover problems for people who get the update after their sprag has already been nearly cooked. But for a brand new bike, it is HOPEFULLY the end of that problem. And the update made a massively needed improvement to the fueling too. The bike no longer feels like it has Tourette's Syndrome when riding at a constant speed down a straight road. ;-)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonusfabiker View Post
I just purchased a brand new 2016 F3 800. As soon as I could, I had a local MV mechanic run the latest software update. Turns out the latest update not only fixes the fueling, but he swears it solves the sprag issue.

My layman's interpretation of his explanation - which others here may be able to explain more technically, and correct my butchering of the story - was that the earlier software was mistiming the ignition (on startup) in a way that effectively caused the engine to fight the starter motor. The poor sprag clutch was the piece in the middle getting pummeled. This was why no other solutions reliably solved the problem.

According to him, there is nothing wrong with the F3 sprag itself. It was always a bad software issue. So APPARENTLY the latest 2017 software should fix any potential sprag problem on a 2014 bike.

It certainly changed the sound of the startup straight away. It went from sounding somewhat laboured to sounding free and fast. The mechanic pointed it out and he was right. You can hear the difference.

Of course, there may still be carryover problems for people who get the update after their sprag has already been nearly cooked. But for a brand new bike, it is HOPEFULLY the end of that problem. And the update made a massively needed improvement to the fueling too. The bike no longer feels like it has Tourette's Syndrome when riding at a constant speed down a straight road. ;-)
Can attest to the starting issue. I recently had my ECU updated for the first time since 2015 and it starts up infinitely better. Sounds less labored and fires much quicker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode