tyre help please lads - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

tyre help please lads

the michelin power one site tells me I need 120/60 tyres on the front of my 2004 f4 750, can this be right? every other MV on the site is recommended to take a 120/70. Almost every post here recommends 120/70 or 120/65 when you can get it. One post I can see mentions a 120/60 and they compensated with a 190/50 rear. anyone have any thoughts on this before I get my new tyres on in a few hours?

In a way the 60 would be great as it would stop rubbing off the front fender!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

anyone have any thoughts on this? i'm heading up there now and a bit uneasy about the 120/60
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 05:43 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I think they are wrong. My bikes have either 120/65 or 120/70.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 07:57 AM

It's been a while but I thought some of the early bikes came with a 60 series front tire? Then MV went to some 65 series front tires. I do remember when Pilot Power was introduced there were still a few street bikes out there with 60 and 65 series front tires as it seem to be 'in style.'. I do remember having these on the truck (I use to work for Michelin two wheel) for the Pilot Power launch in Las Vegas specifically for MV and Kawa but don't recall what other brands at the time. If the bike came with a 60 or 65 series front tire from factory that's more than likely what they (chose you tire supplier) will recommmend. Just remember when you change the front tire diameter you also affect the trail and front ride height which then affects the rear. My experience is most people are 'more comfortable' on a 70 series aspect ratio than the shorter aspect ratios. I persoanlly prefer the 70 series front for street and the occasional track day.

Regards
Bib_Tyre
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 08:12 AM

MV went from a 65 on the 750s to a 70 on the 1000s. Michelin is wrong.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 08:24 AM

When I went on the Michelin Power One web site and I came up with 120/70-17. I'm not saying who's right or wrong, I'm just saying I got a different answer than Helvitica. As a side bar, having lived in France and worked with the French for many years, I can tell you they're never wrong in thier own minds. This is part of the culture which is hard to understand if you haven't lived there. I have many good friends there and appreciate the difference in the cultures. I do miss the wine, food, and chesse that's for sure.

Cheers
Bib_Tyre
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bib_Tyre View Post
When I went on the Michelin Power One web site and I came up with 120/70-17.
@ bib_tyre: was that for a 750?

Well it's academic now as my supplier didn't have 60's in stock! 70 it is. My bike had 190/50's on the rear but I went back to stock for better turn-in. So I'm now running 120/70 - 180/55 Michelin Power One (38psi rear, 36psi front for road - 31 rear, 28 front for track) and they feel really good so far, even though I've only done 30 miles. they heat up very quickly (15 Celsius and sunny here in Ireland today). they turn in quick and feel very stable in corners. I have a track day booked in may and I will report then what I feel about them.

I will say they are a tight fit, but they are slightly better than the dunlop 208RR's I just removed, which would actually rub off the fender not even under braking. There was a square of glue left on the front from the michelin sticker which was picking up stones and rubbing off the fender - you wouldn't believe the size of stones it was picking up, boulders! So that sounded a bit wrong for the first few miles but it's worn off now. The confidence just from knowing this tyre was made only a few weeks ago compared to 4 years ago is great. All in they cost 270 + vat.

Loving my MV, Happy days!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 08:23 AM

Helvetica and everyone,

Any update here? As new tires come out, I am struggling to find the 120 / 70 series that will fit the old 750's. I have seen the MV FAQ listing what fits and what doesn't (circa 2006 tires) but curious as to the Michelin Power One's that you have put on, as well as the Bridgestone BT-003RS and the Dunlop Q2's...Anybody have any luck with the newer 120 / 70's on the 750 without modding the bike?

Thanks

Last edited by rickhoss; 12-21-2009 at 11:46 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhoss View Post
Anybody have any luck with the newer 120 / 70's on the 750 without modding the bike?
Last time I changed tyres I was lookin for a good all rounder (good grip plus long life). Picked up a set of Metzeler Sportec M3's. Really happy with them so far, good feel through the twisties etc. I'm running 120/70 front and 190/50 rear.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the reply--primarily looking for a track day tire with the odd street ride thrown in. In the US, the BT-003RS's and Q2's all have great specials on them, as well as the Michelin Power Ones (unfortunately can't find the supercorsas on sale). Any other people riding the above mentioned tires on the 750?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode