rearsets: folding or solid? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

rearsets: folding or solid?

at full lean, i have scraped my boots one more than one occasion. the idea of solid rearsets ever grabbing pavement and upsetting the bike is not a pleasant thought. also, i've had a friend have a lowside and the footpeg went into his leg. wonder if that would have happened with folding pegs.

i know some like the solids for the rigidity and they can act as an extra "slider". some like folding for safety at full lean (doesn't yamaha have those little pegs at the bottom of their footpegs for lean warning?) just wondering what the collective thinks about either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:19 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Solid rear sets and curb feelers.

CAG
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 AM
The Dude

footpeg through the leg sounds pretty unpleasant.

but i thought that the solid peg would also save your leg from getting crushed underneath as well....

i'm nowhere near scraping anything, much less a footpeg. people can get a sportbike footpeg down? Never thought much about it, but certainly if you can touch a footpeg, solid is not so nice....

CAG: What's a 'curb feeler' ?

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:43 AM
CAG

Curb feelers or curb finders are springs or wires installed on a vehicle which act as "whiskers" to warn drivers that they are too close to the curb or other obstruction.
The devices are fitted low on the body, close to the wheels. As the vehicle approaches the curb, the protruding 'feelers' act as whiskers and scrape against the curb, making a noise and alerting the driver in time to avoid damaging the wheels or hubcaps. The feelers are manufactured to be flexible and do not easily break.

It was a feeble attempt at humor.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:45 AM
CAG

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Curb feelers or curb finders are springs or wires installed on a vehicle which act as "whiskers" to warn drivers that they are too close to the curb or other obstruction.
The devices are fitted low on the body, close to the wheels. As the vehicle approaches the curb, the protruding 'feelers' act as whiskers and scrape against the curb, making a noise and alerting the driver in time to avoid damaging the wheels or hubcaps. The feelers are manufactured to be flexible and do not easily break.

It was a feeble attempt at humor.
Actually a Ducati friend has something like that fitted on his bike.. a metal plate exact positioned to scrape the tarmac and make a sound just before his "lowsiding-right-now-position" Works for him it seems!

Hey Carl, could you check out my question here:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22553

/Thomas
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:12 PM

My curb feelers are made out of plastic, and attached to my knees =)

Solid pegs. Really, if you're scraping your pegs, their either adjusted too low, or you're going down anyways.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
Fred, after my crash, i am all about solid, it would have saved me some money and not scratched up my tank and airbox. And at the rate you are going, you shouldn't have to worry about that for a while! hahah

CAG, i thought the curbfeeler was a pretty good addition, made me laugh

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

well, if i were you i would swap those rearsets for training wheels. just bend'em up to desired lean warning. you'll probably hit them long before you get a knee down.

if i can't get comfortable on the sets i have now, then i will need some new ones. just didn't know if i wanted to give up the folding component. why would the factory made fold ups standard? wouldn't solid be cheaper to make anyway?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:03 PM

Fold ups are a governmental safety requirement from around 1971, Just like having all shift levers on the left and the shift pattern standard. Solid pegs always make me nervous. But I understand why they are liked for the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by style_one View Post
well, if i were you i would swap those rearsets for training wheels. just bend'em up to desired lean warning. you'll probably hit them long before you get a knee down.

if i can't get comfortable on the sets i have now, then i will need some new ones. just didn't know if i wanted to give up the folding component. why would the factory made fold ups standard? wouldn't solid be cheaper to make anyway?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode