New Harley-Davidson CEO & Pres - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

New Harley-Davidson CEO & Pres

This is good news...Wandell has vision and is progressive. JC had a pretty good history in motorsports on his watch, so that isn't a bad thing.

Levatich, has been living in Italy the past six months running MV, so I'd say he has a pretty good handle on the ins and outs.

Harley-Davidson Inc., grappling with a downturn in sales as consumers cut discretionary spending, picked an outsider to replace its chief executive.

The Milwaukee-based motorcycle maker said that Keith Wandell will take over the top job at the company on May 1. Mr. Wandell currently is president and chief operating officer of Johnson Controls Inc. He will succeed president and CEO James Ziemer, who is retiring after 40 years with Harley-Davidson.

Mr. Wandell, 59 years old, will take control of Harley at a time when the company has seen its sales battered as consumers have cut back on major purchases of goods such as boats and recreational vehicles. It has been working to increase sales to women and younger riders to diversify its customer base even as it cuts jobs and its dividend. At the same time, the company has been seeking new sales outside of the U.S.

Amid turmoil in the credit markets, the company's financing arm, which finances about half of all new "Hogs," also has had to seek alternative sources of financing. In early February, the company's largest shareholder and Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc. each bought $300 million of senior unsecured notes Harley issued. Mr. Wandell said his first objective will be crafting a long-term vision for the company. "If you're only working on today and tomorrow, then things are going to stall out," he said.

Harley also said it was shuffling some of its management. It said it was promoting Matthew Levatich to president and chief operating officer. Mr. Levatich, 44, currently is the president of MV Agusta, an Italian motorcycle company that Harley bought in August. James McCaslin will fill a new position as executive vice president for corporate product planning, which will oversee motorcycle product planning and development processes across Harley, the company said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I wish I bought some at $8 a month ago.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
Lets hope it is! Glad to see they kept Levatich and are moving him up! THanks for posting

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Established Member

Does Mr Wandell have any Motor Cycle credibility, Does he Ride a Bike? I for one believe it takes passion for the product to be an effective leader. Lets hope Mr Wendell brings fresh ideas and passion to the job. I saw in another post that Johnson Control had an interest in Motorsports, lets hope this shows up in Mr Wardells leadership as he attempts to grow HD/MV market share.

Rider, Restorer, Painter and Owner of Aermacchi and HD Motor Cycles.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 01:11 PM

Sounds like good news for HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take off your pants and jacket

01 750S W/1000R engine
01 Ducati 748 W/853 kit
03 Yamaha R1 (SOLD)
01 Kawasaki KX 125
88 Yamaha YSR 50
01 Yamaha R6
03 Suzuki DRZ pitbike
1982 Honda 110 atc
Yamaha PW50
1978 Honda 90 atc
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2008 Yamaha Raptor 660
1975 Kawasaki G5 100
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I bought at approx $10, just like I did back in the 80's. Wish me luck.

You come out of corners with the bike sideways like the Beautiful Holy Mother! -- Valentino Rossi, on racing Superbikes vs. GP

2009 Triumph Bonneville SE
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
2006 MV Agusta F41000S
2000 Honda VFR 800 (RIP ...)
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1983 Suzuki XN85 Turbo (x3)
1979 Honda CBX
1977 Laverda 1000 Jota
1974 Norton 850 Commando
1963 Matchless G15/45
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 06:48 PM
CAG

Smart buy.

Good luck. Looks like you are up 60%.

CAG
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
But noooooo. You had to buy GE.......

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 08:54 PM
CAG

I know. what a dope.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 PM

From Yahoo MV agusta Group...Enrico D'Onofrio, formerly CFO at Ducati and a bona fide pasta-loving Italian, will become Managing Director of MV Agusta as part of a management shake up prompted by the retirement of current President and CEO Jim Ziemer. You'll remember that, just last week, Ziemer told The New York Times to "file [Harley's] obituary where the sun don't shine" after the paper exposed a house of cards-like financial situation at The Motor Company. We're guessing this new management has been chosen with an eye to pulling Harley out of that crisis.

We couldn't care less about the new Harley leadership -- sure to be mind-numbingly boring corporate reshuffling of the kind that involves stock options and keys to executive bathrooms rather than anything remotely motorcycle related -- but we do care about the new leadership at MV Agusta. Levatich's initial management, of which we've admittedly heard very little, raised initial concerns due to his being a corporate stooge from Harley, rather than a long-lunch-taking, all-of-August- as-holiday Italian. It's reassuring to see the storied but troubled manufacturer back under domestic management, even if its backers are in a newly precipitous financial position. We'll bring you more analysis as things become clearer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 Ducati 748 Biposto
2002 MV Agusta F4 Evo2 1+1
2009 Ducati 848 White
1986 Honda VFR (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode