Neck and Back pain - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Neck and Back pain

Good morning all.

I went from my first real ride on the Brute yesterday. Only about 100 miles all told, mostly easy riding, nothing fast or out of the ordinary. Everything was fine for the day, but when I woke up this morning it was to debilitating neck and shoulder pain. I can't move my head very far to either side without intense pain, and my shoulders are pinched. I'd like to think this is normal for the first ride of the season, as I'm woefully out of shape. But I never experienced this on my other bikes, even at the beginning of the season.

I think my posture was fine, as my wrists/arms don't hurt, and I was fine during the ride itself. I did use my old trusty helmet for the first time this year (was using a newer/lighter one for the past few weeks) so perhaps this is the culprit? It was also a very windy day, so I'm sure my neck was fighting the wind pretty fierce.

I can't imagine the seating position on the Brute is that far off from my Monster to warrant this kind of pain. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I'm stuck in bed now typing this. Was supposed to attend a Roller Derby scrimmage, and had to tell the girls (who are clearly tougher than I am) that I couldn't attend due to sissy motorcycle neck pain . Any suggestions?

-Gle8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 AM
The Dude

I can't imagine this issue on the brutale. The position is so upright it makes my touring bike seem aggressive.

I've had this on the F4, that is quite normal. Are you sure you don't have an F4?

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 07:47 AM
lee

Boy that's not so good. Good thing you weren't on a Duc 1098 as they're really awful for the neck and shoulders. Given my age, condition and how often I ride my neck is always a little sore when riding but fine once I get off. I think some of it is due to tension on my part. I've often wondered if there was a helmet out there that would allow me to keep my head down a little more. Something with the top of the opening cut a little higher.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:04 AM

I get the same when I don't ride regularly. My knees are a real pain point, too.
Just stretch really well before riding. It seems a bit silly, but riding motorcycles is a physical activity. Stretch before just like you were going out for a game of football.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 AM

All of the things you mentioned can contribute to neck pain- being out of shape, being tense, wind- though surprising it's so intense for you. A great and simple stretch which can help you find relief is to lower you chin towards your sternum, and rotate your head side to side, trying to keep your chin in contact with your collarbones. Gently! Do this a number of times side to side, rest, repeat. That, and ibuprofen really does help.

BTW, I was born and raised in West Philly, near the suburbs, where are you?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 AM

oh, and I think we all want to hear more about "Roller Derby scrimmage"!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Established Member

and go get a C-spine series
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrossk View Post
BTW, I was born and raised in West Philly, near the suburbs, where are you?
I'm in Fishtown/Norther Liberties area. Grew up in Norristown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrossk View Post
oh, and I think we all want to hear more about "Roller Derby scrimmage"!
Heh. I Ref Womens Flat Track Roller Derby. www.phillyrollergirls.com <- shameless plug.

-Gle8
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:59 AM

If you lived in the tropics I'd say get a blood test for dengue fever. But given that you live in the states, you're probably just out of shape, ha!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 12:51 PM
SGR
Established Member

If you rode at high speed most likely is the wind resistance. Maybe a different helmet could help or less time on the freeway...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode