Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:21 PM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
Incredible!!!
fantastic!!!!!: jsm:

O D O N A T A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by odonata; 04-01-2009 at 12:30 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM

Great read! Himatsu is the lion behind the scenes.

And Rossi... truly a great rider, perhaps the greatest of all time but I lost a lot of respect for him with the Bridgestone, etc., thing.

For years he reigned on Michelins specially made for him. When Ducati realized they'd never win as long as Michelin controlled the tires, and the outcomes, they went to Bridgestones and most of the world laughed.

Ducati helped turn the Stones into winners, not Rossi. A few years later, Rossi threw a fit and demanded Bridgestones, too.

Ducati developed fuel and lubricants with Shell. Now Shell is the spec fuel of MotoGP.

Ducati paired with Magneti Marelli to create state-of-the-art traction control. Rossi's Yamaha now has Magneti-Marelli TC as well..

No problem when Rossi had better gear than the rest of the field. When someone else had equipment good enough to beat him, my, how things changed!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
True or not, great read!

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
That was a great story!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvee View Post
Great read! Himatsu is the lion behind the scenes.

And Rossi... truly a great rider, perhaps the greatest of all time but I lost a lot of respect for him with the Bridgestone, etc., thing.

For years he reigned on Michelins specially made for him. When Ducati realized they'd never win as long as Michelin controlled the tires, and the outcomes, they went to Bridgestones and most of the world laughed.

Ducati helped turn the Stones into winners, not Rossi. A few years later, Rossi threw a fit and demanded Bridgestones, too.

Ducati developed fuel and lubricants with Shell. Now Shell is the spec fuel of MotoGP.

Ducati paired with Magneti Marelli to create state-of-the-art traction control. Rossi's Yamaha now has Magneti-Marelli TC as well..

No problem when Rossi had better gear than the rest of the field. When someone else had equipment good enough to beat him, my, how things changed!
We all know it comes down to the gear more than it comes down to the rider or driver. It's true in motoGP its true in F1. So when the competition has better gear than you and you're losing consistently wouldn't you demand the same thing? This is what competition is all about, leveling the field so the best comes out on top. If Michelin came back with a better tire everyone would demand it. I'm glad there isn't brand loyalty cause that would ruin everything.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 02:27 PM

I for one think it's the rider, not the gear, at least in M/C racing. That's why Rossi and the Yamaha beat the Honda although most at that time said the Honda was superior. Rossi's lost more than a bit of his edge in recent years. He can't win on inferior gear anymore, at least not so easily, hence the spec tires, spec fuel, etc.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 03:18 PM

Nice ending. Ha!

E d w a r d B4910s08

Public Service Announcement
.................................................. .....................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Forum Introduction Thread)

Location: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 11:13 PM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
Did we all read it all te way to the very end?

O D O N A T A

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 PM

I did. The thing I wondered was how much truth there was in there and how much was inside jokes that the rest wouldn't get. Obviously Burgess was the crew chief and he certainly had plenty of data on the Honda, but how much? I'm sure he began squirreling away as much as he could the minute he figured Rossi was leaving Honda. I don't recall but did Lawson have any development duties after he retired? Did he contribute anything to the bike's development before Rossi was out of his Honda contract and eligible to test? I actually searched to see if Himatsu and Takahashi are Yamaha execs, but nada. Are they mechanics who got a plug in a magazine? Brolly girls? Or maybe Himatsu is crude Japanese slang. LOL. Still a funny article.

Last edited by emmvee; 04-01-2009 at 11:43 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode