When are your tires warm enough? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

When are your tires warm enough?

How far do you ride before you trust your tires? Any rules of thumb, on say a 75F degree day with street tires?

SENNA #243-SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 PM

When they dont slide around, haha.

That probably not very safe practice for the street but on the track they will usually slide around on the first three or four corners (before I bought tire warmers) and then they are good to go. On the street... I usually dont push hard enough for it to be a concern... If i'm going on a nice canyon ride in the summer though I will run the first few corners and then I feel comfortable on them. But again, i'm not out dragging knee's in the canyons... I made that mistake once before.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:00 AM

with street tires...... 1 or 2 miles (depends on the manufacturer) with aggressive braking and acceleration.....

this heats the tire up...the compression and flexing of the carcass generates the heat.

A gun is not a weapon. It's a tool, like a butcher's knife, or a harpoon, or an alligator.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:07 AM

Great question as the season turns!

E d w a r d B4910s08

Public Service Announcement
.................................................. .....................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Forum Introduction Thread)

Location: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 01:37 PM

The standard Police training is 5 miles, regardless of the weather, in the UK.

After that, let rip.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 01:49 PM

On the street, one thing that can bite you is the lunch stop. Since you've been out already and are warmed-up yourself, it's easy to overlook the fact that the tires have cooled. Don't assume or get overconfident. They cool fast. And heat depends on the tires. Some take longer to warm up.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
when the light on the tire warmers says so! :-)

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvee View Post
On the street, one thing that can bite you is the lunch stop. Since you've been out already and are warmed-up yourself, it's easy to overlook the fact that the tires have cooled. Don't assume or get overconfident. They cool fast. And heat depends on the tires. Some take longer to warm up.

this is why i always park in the sun if on a lunch or gas/snack break.....most of the guys try to park in the shade..... and their tires cool.....

now you know one of my little secrets.

A gun is not a weapon. It's a tool, like a butcher's knife, or a harpoon, or an alligator.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 02:16 AM

I was under the impression that tyres had an optimal operating temperature which was determined by a number of factors related to the manufacture of the tyre (competition, sport, touring etc).

Road tyres are designed to operate at road temperatures (temperatures generated under road use) while comp tyres operate at a different temperature, usually a lot higher than raod tyres due to the increase in heat generated on a track (basically higher speeds and harder accelerations/decelarations).

To make it even harder the tyre pressures and loads on the tyres (solo, pillion, luggage even weight of the rider) also effect the tyre adhesion.

Then there is the age of the rubber, previous useage, even whether the bike is parked outside in hot or cold weather for long durations.

As an indication for a track day a general recommendation is that tyre pressures are set cold at 30 psi front and back with two laps warming up both tyres and rider. Then adjust to suit.

For road use I'd recommend getting the tyre pressure correct (checking before each ride), covering a few miles to generate temperature in the tyre and then having fun. A starting point is the manufacturers recommendation.

Consideration should also be given to changing both front and rear at the same time (even if there is milage left on one of the tyres) and making sure the tyres are matched (same manufacturer and even same tyre - seem to recall reading that manufacturers now designing front tyres to assist with rear tyre traction in the wet).

It's amazing how confidence inspiring a good set of properly inflated and warmed up tyres can make to ones riding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode