New to the forum - MVAgusta.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shropshire, wide open spaces
Posts: 291
New to the forum

Hi all, thought I would take a few moments to introduce myself. I
have been an MV owner a few years back when I had a 750f4. Had the bike for a 1 yr but alas it seemed to be plagued with water loss probs along with the lack of grunt. So it was back to the V twin D***ti 998. Please dont all boo at the same time, but I have had a few of these way back to the early 70's 250cc, 450cc and on.

I am in the process of buying my first MV 1000 to add to the collection. [her indoors is not impressed]. So any advice thats needed in looking for faults etc or is the old 750 that I had literally the same, except for the motor?? Thanks.
jeteast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 01:37 PM
JDS
King of Bling
 
JDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,791
Send a message via MSN to JDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeteast View Post
Hi all, thought I would take a few moments to introduce myself. I
have been an MV owner a few years back when I had a 750f4. Had the bike for a 1 yr but alas it seemed to be plagued with water loss probs along with the lack of grunt. So it was back to the V twin D***ti 998. Please dont all boo at the same time, but I have had a few of these way back to the early 70's 250cc, 450cc and on.

I am in the process of buying my first MV 1000 to add to the collection. [her indoors is not impressed]. So any advice thats needed in looking for faults etc or is the old 750 that I had literally the same, except for the motor?? Thanks.
Welcome on board mate, and you'll enjoy the banter and loads of info this forum has to offer..

You can't beat a well looked after early 1000S in Red & Silver..

I'm still a big fan of the 750's over the 1000's..

They are a lot more involved when it comes to riding them fast, and some of the limited models ie: SPR's and SR are a great buy..

Enjoy what ever you end up buying, and lets hope you have more fun and luck than your previous MV ownership...

PS: Italian V twins also rule !!!!!!

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JDS is offline  
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Delete this ID
Posts: 2,732
Big Welcome Harry

you will find this forum a wealth of knowledge with regards to maintenance

and many other topics will make you laugh

enjoy

p.s. PM sent.
F41NXS is offline  
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 02:38 PM
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Home. In Dixie.
Posts: 13,695
Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Welcome aboard!

No one here will throw stones at you for having a Ducati, especially a 998.

Some of the 1000s run a little hot, (easy fix), some rear wheel bearings have been known to fail prematurely, (easy fix), the EBS relay has gone bad on a few, (easy fix). You may have none of the above issues with yours.

Forks are bigger, engine is bigger, brakes are better on the later bikes. Riding position is a little more upright and the bike is taller. At least it seems taller to me but I'm almost as short as Randy.

CAG
CAG is offline  
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
 
MV-999R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
No one here will throw stones at you for having a Ducati, especially a 998.
I will. A big stone, in fact.

Just kidding.
Welcome aboard and get the F4 1000, as it's an overall improvment over the F4 750
MV-999R is offline  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shropshire, wide open spaces
Posts: 291
Thanks for the welcome. I shall be giving the potential addition to the collection the once over in a day or two. Appreciate your comments on the very few items to check over.
jeteast is offline  
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
fazer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ, USA
Posts: 8,920
Welcome!

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
fazer6 is offline  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Big Randaddy
 
Randarosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 17,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Welcome aboard!

No one here will throw stones at you for having a Ducati, especially a 998.

Some of the 1000s run a little hot, (easy fix), some rear wheel bearings have been known to fail prematurely, (easy fix), the EBS relay has gone bad on a few, (easy fix). You may have none of the above issues with yours.

Forks are bigger, engine is bigger, brakes are better on the later bikes. Riding position is a little more upright and the bike is taller. At least it seems taller to me but I'm almost as short as Randy.

CAG
Let me add my welcome as well. Listen to Caggy, as he knows everything there is to know 'bout MVs. We've got a few others that are very knowledgeable as well (not me, for goodness sakes)

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
Randarosa is offline  
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:09 AM
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Home. In Dixie.
Posts: 13,695
Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Randy and I agree on a lot of things. This is not one of them. There are people here who have forgotten more about MVs than I will ever know.

Now, if you want to know about taking one apart, I'm the man.

CAG
CAG is offline  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 03:00 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 801
Welcome mate. Just ride the sucker,don;t worry about the weather or the water temp.
MORT is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome