Clean Licence 33 80.49%
3 - 6 points 7 17.07%
not saying but heck im in trouble 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Talking Driving Licence - points/Ban

Just received my driving licence back from the DVLA due to a change of address which I completed.

Previous speeding points are up and have also been removed (after 4 years wait), which means I have a clean licence again

How many here on the forum have a clean licence, or unfortunate to have points

in the U.K. its 12 points and out

The number of penalty points varies on the nature of the motoring offence. The more serious the driving offence, the higher the number of points. The minimum number of points for the most minor offences is 2 points, whilst offences such as failing to comply with a traffic light carry a non–discretionary 3 points and other offences have a range of points which allows the Magistrates to vary the punishment depending on the severity of the incident. For example, speeding ranges from 3 to 6 points. Speeding offences dealt with by Fixed Penalty Notices will have a standard 3 points whereas more serious speeding cases which are dealt with at Court can result in up to 6 points being endorsed on the convicted driver's licence. Another common offence, driving without due care, carries a range of 3–9 points, again dependent on the circumstances of the case.

Should a driver reach 12 points in a 3 year period, the Court guidelines are an automatic disqualification of 6 months should be imposed.

New Drivers
Your licence is revoked if you amass 6 penalty points within your first 2 years of driving. It should be appreciated that the DVLA can revoke a licence if 6 penalty points have been obtained by Fixed Penalty Notices. Revocation is automatic, and is not subject to a Court Order
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:22 AM
The Dude

6 points in japan for the first ban (a month). Gets worse after that, as after serving ban, you only have 4 to play with. There are a couple tiers of this, and on the 3rd strike, it's an automatic multi-month ban for any offense.

3 points is a speeding ticket. 6 is for 30+kmh over. doesn't take much. I don't have a clean license anymore, but haven't been banned just yet.....

1 year of being clean and all is forgiven. this explains why I've been renting crappy rental cars a lot....

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Established Member

I've got 8 months to go before my last 3 points come off my license, then it will be the first time since I was 16 that I've had a clean license. Most I've had has been 9, which came from getting caught twice in less than 2 weeks. Annoyingly nearly all the points I have ever got have been when driving my car for work. All but 3 have been motorway or dual carriage way at national speed limit. Only time I got caught on a bike was when I was 16 and got caught on my Honda MB50 doing 48 in a 40mph limit. Luckily they didn't seem too worried that I was riding a bike that should of been restricted to 30mph. Certainly doesn't help getting insurance with 9 points on the license.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:46 AM

Clean! Dropped 43 points in one day by trading in a NJ license for a Vermont one (no reciprocal agreement back in the 80s). Moved to PA shortly thereafter where only the State Troopers have radar and you can pretty much ride like you want to without worrying a lot.
Slowed down a lot, too, in the interest of self preservation...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 01:22 PM

Have to keep a clean license as the insurance is bad at 26 on an mv for your first bike, Points wouldn't get me any prizes in that game. Had six points got caught on a friend scooter about 5 years ago with no cbt (didnt get done for that tho) or insurance. Things you do when your young
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 02:21 PM

Got an instant 3 month ban plus 364 euro fine for speeding in Finland, 125kmh in an 80 zone. After 2 weeks you go to the police station and can state your case to the speeding court officer and possibly have the ban shaortened or cancelled altogether.I think its 3 tickets in 2 years and its an automatic ban again but not sure.No points system as such but the fines are worked out in day tickets, cant member exactly how they work it out but the more you earn plus how bad the offence is can make for an expensive ride!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
100 point system here in NZ. Same as everywhere else: more points for higher speeds etc.
None on my licence at the moment. My gut feeling is that a police officer would be likely to treat an offender with lots of points more harshly than someone with no points, if there is an option to give a warning or write out a ticket.
Still I'm no saint. I have had three speeding tickets in the last 20 years. One for 155 in a 100 zone and 166 in a 100 zone. That was about 18 years ago when I didn't realise that I could bleed. The last one was about 5 years ago for 61 in a 50 zone. Fair enough.
No speed camera tickets yet. These don't carry points in NZ, just a fine.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:20 PM

One of the great things, imo, about Nevada is that they have traffic school for many moving violations. You are eligible if you haven't received another ticket within the previous twelve months. After "attending" traffic school (you can do it online) all of the points from the ticket are dropped and the fine is halved.

Oh, I have a clean license.

2006 910S
2019 BMW S1kR
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:30 PM
X81

Have now got a clean licence for the first time since i got my provisional.

I am ashamed yet oddly proud that at one point i had only 1 line left to fill with points or bans.

Been banned for numerous things totalling just over 3 years. I used to be a very stupid and angry young man.

I remember getting pulled once and the copper looked at my licence and the points page and his words were "bloody hell you've been busy, but as they say, points make........" and before he could finish i said "bus passes apparently" which lightened the mood and i got told to bugger off and behave myself.

Good boy now though
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:49 PM

That's the same policy with us here in Texas, Onsight. But that still doesn't make up for the fact that I need to install a Valentine V1 asap!

The Kid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode