Whoops, static drop - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Unhappy Whoops, static drop

Club ride yesterday, 330 miles in total. Mixed weather but my TV coped with it all. Even the indicators still work after a proper dousing first thing.

Marking a junction on a minor road and whilst maneuvering the bike into a more visible position I wound up crossing an incline but needing to stop due to the narrow width of the road. For some obscure reason I chose the downward side to put my foot down. From there it went badly wrong

Despite sort of realising that my leg would have further to reach and having shifted across the saddle to try and compensate the bike tipped towards me and over we went. The incline was steep, about 30 at a guess, I tried to let her down gently but sort of got fired down the slope rolling away from the bike.

Picked myself up and surveyed the scene, the bike was beyond horizontal, a sad sight to behold. Try a I might I just couldn't lift it, my efforts were moving the bike down the hill and probably making minor scratches worse, so had to wait for others in the group.

Once upright I was surprised. Only damage was to pannier lid (plastic and painted part unfortunately) and a minor scuff to the end if the hand guard. There might be other minor marks, will see when I wash the bike later. Lots of smoke on start where oil had seeped around the rings, quickly burnt off. Hopefully not trashed the cat, surprising how a little oil makes so much smoke. Impressed how well it stood up to my abuse. Bike ran like a champ as usual for the rest if the day. As others have said, as the miles increase the better they run.

Will look into replacing pannier lid but ISTR that they are only available as a complete item at considerable cost. Any ideas for plastic repair? Thinking of wet and dry and then light application of a heat gun. Find something else to practice on first. Painted part is just a little fingernail sized paint though to the black plastic at the leading end, will need to find a touch up match for that.

Put a dent in my day and my pride. Haven't dropped a bike since 2010, was a similar incident. No point in crying over spilt milk though. Lakes and Scotland long weekend in a couple of weeks time to look forward to.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring

Last edited by Bumpkin; 09-11-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 07:16 AM

New Site Garage
Damn that's a bummer Bumpkin but sounds like you've been lucky with only minor scratches on the bike and some hurt pride. A mate of mine went over on his KTM 900 at standstill and he broke his ankle :-O

Current steed - MY16 Dragster RR
Previous Bike - 2008 Triumph Street Triple
Scottish and living it up in South East Spain
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 08:47 AM

New Site Garage
Ah sorry to hear that Chas, could have been a lot worse by the sound of it but bad enough. I've just finished the NC500 today, bikes has been flawless for the week we have been up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bruce
MY15
Edition1 Turismo
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red800 View Post
I've just finished the NC500 today, bikes has been flawless for the week we have been up here.
Did most of that last summer. Hope the midges weren't too bad? On our forthcoming trip, only a long weekend, we'll only be in the Borders (Moffat etc) for one of the two days of riding we have planned.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 06:51 PM

New Site Garage
Surprisingly the only midges we encountered were at Applecross Inn, rest of the time it's thankfully been too windy for them, little buggers can be like Stuka dive bombers at times the way they descend on you.
Yeah some nice roads up Moffat, I plan to come back down through Moffat area, be a shame to do Scotland and not do the beef tub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bruce
MY15
Edition1 Turismo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode