Could MV's be sold in Harley showrooms? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Could MV's be sold in Harley showrooms?

Be interesting to see if Harley decide to sell MV's in their plush Harley showrooms. What do you guys think? I do like the Harley showrooms, attention to detail is fantastic. However, Harley's are such a different machine, I wonder if it would work? Very different customer base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:34 AM

MV/HD dealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicensleazy View Post
Be interesting to see if Harley decide to sell MV's in their plush Harley showrooms. What do you guys think?
nicensleezy,

I bet Erik Buell would have something to say about that. He's having a hard enough selling his bikes as it is. If there were MV Agustas sitting next to his Buells, he wouldn't be able to give 'em away!

Elton
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinflux View Post
nicensleezy,

I bet Erik Buell would have something to say about that. He's having a hard enough selling his bikes as it is. If there were MV Agustas sitting next to his Buells, he wouldn't be able to give 'em away!

Elton
Yes,but Buells are in another league(far lower)and the price difference reflects this.
post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 06:40 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
There are no Buells in my local HD showroom. Not a buell sign or advertisement to be seen either.

CAG
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Ambassador / 007

Waiting for new bike

Send a message via Skype™ to pigiolino
This is the Italian dealers question also....
pier

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 AM

I doubt they will be sold in America in the HD dealers. I do think that MV Agusta could benefit from the HD type dealership where the brand is packaged as not only the bikes, but official clothing, riding gear and accessories. Make them MV lifestyle shops like HD or Ducati stores.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 09:11 AM

I agree that the Buell and MV are in different leagues and to be honest I don't think it would hurt if MV's were stocked in HD stores. But what I really care about and would like to see is MV parts being put on to a distrubution chain like HD's. I have never heard of HD ridders complaing about finding something chrome or waitting 6mths to get one of their parts. I would love to not worry about waiting several months to get a relay. Just my 2cents but that is what I would like to see.
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 09:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to TwistingAsphalt
imho I can't see it. Whenever I've been in a Harley dealership, which I'll admit isn't that often, they've always talked some serious smack about their Buell products.

Dylan Weiss

Work:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Buells

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Yes,but Buells are in another league(far lower)and the price difference reflects this.
adrian,

Agreed. But Erik Buell is trying to produce and market an American-made sport bike. And to his credit, his product is an interesting one with some very trick innovations. The styling isn't for everybody, but styling is a matter of taste, and if you like the way they look, then the Buell has much to offer. Especially now that it's running a Rotax engine.

And while Buells are not sold at every Harley dealership, the Buell distribution network is inexorably tied into HD. As I understand it, there's only a couple of free-standing Buell dealerships; almost all Buell franchises are coupled to HD points of purchase.

Erik Buell hasn't yet built a sportbike that is truly competitive. But he's working on it. Currently, when buyers walk into the Harley/Buell showroom, Buell doesn't have to compete with other sportbikes. If buyers had MV Agustas to choose from also, some Buell sales would be lost to MV. I'm willing to bet that Erik Buell would take legal action to prevent this, but I could be wrong.

Don't forget that last year, there was talk about HD acquiring Ducati. In the end, it didn't happen, but HD did some market research that showed that in the USA market, somewhere around 30%, (I don't recall the exact number), of Ducati owners also owned a Harley. At first blush this seems counter-intuitive, but when you think about it, it makes sense. Both are high line, specialty bikes that appeal to an older crowd, (generally speaking, younger people can't afford either, even though they may covet one). And both are, "lifestyles," at least from a marketing perspective.

I was always skeptical about this market research - the number was much higher than I would have thought, but hey, who knows? And I'm sure the percentage of Harley owners who own an Italian sportbike is much lower than the percentage of Italian sportbike owners who also own a Harley.

So, from a marketing perspective, it actually makes sense for HD to acquire MV. Even though it's not obvious, there's quite a bit of buyer overlap. Not many Harley buyers are gonna buy an MV, but more than a few MV owners will buy a Harley. Hell, I'm thinking about buying a Harley!

Last year I went to a Ducati/Harley dealership in Montpellier, France. (Macadam Ducati) You'd never see that here in the USA, but I gotta say, it was very nice, and seemed to work, esthetically! And they had a wine and beer bar right inside the dealership! Imagine that! It'll be a cold day in Hell before you see a bar inside of a motorcycle dealership here in the USA.

Or maybe I'm all wrong and Erik Buell will welcome MV Agusta into the mix, hoping to pick off buyers who want a sportbike but can't afford an MV. We'll find out soon enough.

Elton
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Well, I think it could happen. I went out for a ride on my MV today and stopped off at a Harley dealer called Shaw Harley Davidson based just out side of Eastbourne, Sussex. Wow, what a set up. As I pulled up, the Harley workshop team came outside to say Hi. All they were talking about was MV Agusta. Then the sales manager came out followed by the shop owner John Shaw. Got to say, what lovely people. They are so keen about this deal. Loads of questions about MV and extremely interested. The owners then very kindly showed me around the dealership including state of the art workshop and warehouse. Got to say, MV would sit quite nice in this showroom. As John said, "we pride ourselves on customer service" and it certainly shows here. The nice thing about it, I wasn't even a Harley owner but they made me feel very special. Thats service for you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode