OK, lay it out: - MVAgusta.net
View Poll Results: Harley purchase of MVA, good or bad?
Good 71 84.52%
Bad 3 3.57%
Indifferent 10 11.90%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

OK, lay it out:

Harley-MV, good or bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:32 PM

I think it's good. After all, it didn't seem that there were other options for MV to move forward. Maybe now, MV can support a race team, produce some new models, and gain the ability to service and support the Marque better than the past.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Established Member

Ask yourself this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
Harley-MV, good or bad?
Why would Harley, who's laying off American workers and has never understood what a true sport bike with horsepower is even want an Italian company that is in financial trouble, & isn't producing or selling many bikes currently.

The best effort they've made toward that is Buell, and folks that just ain't a very good motorcycle.

They're wanting something that we dont' know yet IMO. And when they get it, I expect the MV nameplate to disappear again.

Maybe they want to market MV tractors.

'08 Brutale in Arrest Me Orange

1967 Suzuki X 6 Hustler

Ducati Monster 1000

White and Silver 2011 Victory Cross Country

1982 Kawasaki AR 80 with 51 actual miles

Orange 2011 Corvette
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 07:17 PM

Harley and MV produce vastly different bikes however the passion that goes into them is what I love about this marriage. I think its a very good thing. Both are artistic and passionate in design.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 09:07 PM

Perhaps the introduction and success of the v-rod represents a change in thinking at HD which CAN be conducive to a bright future for MV. After all, they were enjoying ever increasing sales of existing models at the time of it's introduction. One can only hope.

MV Ultra Take the ride!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 01:43 AM

It's a good thing only if Harley brings over their XR1200 that they released in Europe. That's my condition.

Time is a delusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 02:46 AM
Established Member

All things considered, I think it's a good thing.
I don't know much about MV's true financial position but by all accounts the debt level was choking the company, and at the end of the day money talks.
I wouldn't say the 'beggars can't be choosers' thing applied to MV, but there's certainly an element of it, and there didn't seem to be many choices...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 04:06 AM

First of all the Brand MV Agusta will survive for a while. Harley-Davidson is for my taste a better choice than TATA. I'm sure that HD will let the current MV Program (F1, F3 + Naked, new F4 + new Brutale) come reality. What does the purchase mean in the long run is for sure a big question mark. Although I'm happy about MV Agusta will survive, I'm deeply sad that the Italian Icon MV Agusta is now to 100 % in foreign Hands. That sounds to me like Ferrari would be owned by General Motors. However a new chapter has been started.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 04:42 AM

Its got to be good surley! If it keeps the brand afloat with a big cash boost, thats good for MV and the work force. Perhaps some quaters may say itsa shame CC is still Chairman. Perhaps a complete change of leadership may of been a good thing. Tambo is staying and he's a key player in the organisation. I think HD buying is a good idea! Just hope it doesn't become another Proton, but I don't think it will!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Established Member

It really doesn't matter who owns MVA as long as the brand is alive and producing bikes that are exclusive and loyal to the racing spirit of count Agusta. Anyway Castiglioni-led MVA isn't (or wasn't) the "same MV Agusta" as it was 40yrs ago, because there was almost 2 decade gap between 1980-1998. But the brand and the spirit still revived under Cagiva-umbrella.

There is a small possibility that HD can mess with the MVA brand by starting to produce "budget bikes" and that way diminishing the exclusivity of the brand. To me, and I think everyone who likes the brand, that would destroy MVA. But I really don't believe they're that stupid. There's still Cagiva-label for less expensive european-style bikes. They haven't gone budget-way with HD-brand, so why would they do that with MVA?

As much as I dislike their bikes, I have to admit that if any manufacturer in this world knows about the power of a strong brand, it's Harley-Davidson. So MVA is in good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haupti View Post
That sounds to me like Ferrari would be owned by General Motors.
It doesn't sound any better that Ferrari is in fact really owned by Fiat... or Lamborghini and Bugatti by Volkswagen. And Ducati was owned by Texas Pacific investment group (or something like that). What does it matter? For all I care MVA can be owned by HD, Tata, Proton, Honda or sultan of Brunei as long as they keep producing horny bikes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode