A PERFECT Ending ..... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

A PERFECT Ending .....

So..... B.Harris and I are out at Buttonwillow Raceway yesterday having some fun, and I notice a BRAND SPANKING NEW MV 1000R arriving. I figure that I'll go say "Hi" and introduce myself and let the rider know about this forum.

I met Milt and his son, Dylan. Both were really nice guys, and they said that they had heard of mvagusta.net. So, I asked Milt how he liked his 1000R, and he replied "it's only got 1 mile on it...". Sure enough, a quick glance at the tires confirmed that they were virgin. Milt was busy taping off his mirrors and getting ready to get on the track, so I told him I'd check with him later in the day and went back to my pit to prepare for the day.

Around lunch time, I wandered over to see how Milt was getting on with his new bike. As I approached, he was now in his leathers, as was Dylan. There was something vaguely familiar about these two, but I had a hard time figuring out how I might have known them..... and THEN it hit me.....these were those 2 guys that did the video piece for the Discovery Channel... the 2 guys that had gone all the way to Varese and viewed the factory ..... the 2 guys that had actually gotten themselves into CRC for an interview with Massimo Tamburini !!!! Milt and Dylan from "Twist the Throttle"! (click here for the video: http://turbo.discovery.com/beyond/?p...eId=1454865183)

So I told them that I had seen thier video piece on the MV factory, and Milt's face lit up. I told him that I remember him saying in the video piece how impressed he was of the MV factory, and how passionate every worker in the factory was for the MV marque, and that I had also remembered them saying that they too, wanted to someday own an MV themselves..... and here they were with an MV! This fact by itself would have been a great ending to the story ..... but it didn't stop there.

Milt told me that this was the only motorcycle he's ever had that made him cry when he looked at it.....and then he took a deep breath, and told me that his son, Dylan, had purchased the bike for him as a gift. I actually got a tear in my eye, as I realized that this father and son had a very special bond, a bond that is rare in these times. A bond that I had missed out on myself with my dad. Milt must be an amazing father.... and Dylan, a very special son.

Milt has soooo much to tell about the MV factory and the time he spent there. He told me a few stories of things that never made it to the video. He gave me his e-mail address, and said, "let's keep in touch". I told him that I wanted to take a picture of him, his MV, and his son to place up on MV.net, and they obliged. I think I'll e-mail him a link to this site, to this post specifically ..... and invite him to join us in our passion for MV's. I think Milt would make a great member (Dylan, too), and he has CERTAINLY paid his dues. I would love to hear more of his stories about his travels to the MV facility. THANKS MILT AND DYLAN FOR MAKING MY DAY!

Gregg
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 08:27 PM

Let's get them to join and post up more thoughts/impressions!
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 08:30 PM

Wow thats a great story thanks for sharing!
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Dylan has been on the site and posted in response to our praise for the show!

http://mvagusta.net/forum/member.php?u=9216

His words:

"fwiw I'll add one last thought on MV, which is from the top of the company to the guys on the assembly line, it's hard to miss or ignore the level of commitment, dedication and passion that flows inside those walls. Truly a special place with wonderful folks - dare I say, it's a very moto-romantic atmosphere - and imho a unique blend of design, performance and craftsmanship. And while I personally always appreciated the bikes, I find myself now lusting after them. Again fwiw..."

http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread...ight=discovery

Must say- congrats on your F4!!!

Last edited by alvin; 07-08-2008 at 08:39 PM.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Excellent post.

CAG
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:01 PM
The Machinist

Very, very cool Gregg. I regret now not going down and talking to them with you!
How cool is it that his son bought him that bike?!...Awesome!
And how cool is it that he road it for the first time on the track?!

What a great day! It was a pleasure meeting yourself and Mark. I had a awesome time. Albeit a bit hot, but it was worth it! We will have to do it again sometime soon. Maybe with a few more from the site.

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 10:02 PM

Wow that is an awesome story you have there! Very very cool!

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 01:45 AM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
Wow, great write up Gregg!

welcome to our .net family, Milt and Dylan!

O D O N A T A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:19 AM

One of the truely great things that come with having and MV and being a member on this forum

Great postings

Brit Biker with Triumphs and a love of Italians.
138 You are my best friend too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:54 AM

Hi Gregg and everyone else who has been kind enough to post a comment. I have joined the forum. Gregg's welcome at Buttonwillow could not have been kinder. Been around motorcycles a long time and while talking to Gregg it was clear the MV community is special not only because of the machines but because the folks who love the Marque are uniquely warm and friendly.

I know this won't come as news to any of you but the F4 is remarkable. Short-shifted most of the day to keep the revs within reason because while I think breaking in the engine on a track is a great way to get to know a new bike (Dylan did the same thing at Buttonwillow last July with his 1098S) and it still was amazing in terms of how quickly it would get up to speed and shoot out a corner. This is a motorcycle that makes me a better rider. It does everything so well. And selfishly, I just love it. First bike where there's nothing I want to change (at least not yet).

Short funny story. On the way home we stopped along I-5. A guy with a CBR1000 comes over and says, "Man, that's one trick exhaust. Never seen four pipes before. Where did you get it?" He kept asking how he could get a set for his CBR. It took me a good ten minutes to make him understand it wasn't an after market trick set of pipes but how the bike comes from the factory.

Everyone it seems who sees the bike loves it. And now, thanks to Dylan's wonderful surprise gift, I get to ride one. It doesn't get better than that.

So thanks again for the warm welcome. Its a fantastic feeling and I look forward to meeting more of you in person or chatting on the message board.

Milt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode