1078RR - anything I should know? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

1078RR - anything I should know?

In my local (multi marque) dealer's today about something quite different, there's a 1078 Brutale there. Seems it has no docs, the owner's stoney broke, and the dealers aren't really very keen to sell it for him. 1024 kilometres, four months old, I think I sense a bargain coming on...

I was vaguely considering treating myself to a Speed Triple this year, but if I can make sure this chap actually owns the bike and sort out new paperwork, this is a great deal cooler.

So, knowing nothing about MVs, what should I know?

And, I know it varies across Europe, but what would YOU expect to pay for a nearly new Brutale in Euros? Because I'm amazed how little we are talking here...

Oh, it will be making its home with a Triumph 1200 Daytona SE (currently being rebuilt), a Harley V-Rod (don't laugh, I live in a hot country with roads full of loonies) and a Triumph Tiger heap for exploring the trails.

Just an idea at the moment, sorry to take up your time with a daft question...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 PM

Buy it...We're all jealous!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 09:38 PM

Buy it. If it's as awesome as I'm pretending it is, it should be able to pull a wheelie, make a vertical take off and then fly into space.

I have no idea what the price'll be, however. I guess it's the "if you ask, you can't afford it" policy.

Time is a delusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
4 months old???? were the 1078 Brutales out 4 months ago? We're still waiting to see one here.

Buy it...I know I would if I could.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 11:04 PM

No doc's on it? How are you planning on registering it with the local government to ride it on the street?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Rand View Post
No doc's on it? How are you planning on registering it with the local government to ride it on the street?
Go to the registration agency with a sales document and get them to create a new registration document. This is no big problem (it just means sitting for hours and hours in stuffy offices - I've done it before, moving another vehicle here) IF he actually owns the bike, and checking that is obviously the big hassle, which is why no one wants it.

I can find the time for all this - as a computer consultant I can work as well with a laptop in a government waiting room as at my own desk.

It takes months to get any paperwork here - at four months old it is entirely possible he's lazy and feckless and didn't fill in the right forms, and that's why he has no docs. When I bought my Harley, new, it took three months to prise a registration document loose. Or perhaps he is, like me, a foreigner, and has simply got lost in the labyrinthine bureaucracy (amazing how many foreigners never learn the ;language).

Also, the dealer could be lying to me about why the bike is a "problem" and hence they don't want to sell it. Maybe he wants it himself. Maybe it just looks good in the (tatty) showroom. Maybe there is something nasty wrong with it they plan to fix and haven't yet.

At the moment, what I see is a very nice bike at a dirt cheap price with a desperate owner. Having checked the bike itself doesn't have some terrible gotcha, I'll start enquiring further.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
4 months old???? were the 1078 Brutales out 4 months ago? We're still waiting to see one here.

Buy it...I know I would if I could.
Aha! You may have found the gotcha then :-( I didn't know there were two when I saw it, my RECOLLECTION is that it said 1078, but if it doesn't, that would explain the price. You can forget warranties or dealers around here, and sitting up last night and reading the thread about stalling in traffic has put me right off getting a 910 of unknown provenance which I have to fix myself.

I'll go look again Monday.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstoppable View Post
Buy it. If it's as awesome as I'm pretending it is, it should be able to pull a wheelie, make a vertical take off and then fly into space.

I have no idea what the price'll be, however. I guess it's the "if you ask, you can't afford it" policy.
This one's cheap, trust me. Suspiciously cheap. Obvious worries include "does he actually have clean title?"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 01:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
HHHHMMM if it is true, BUY IT. All reports so far are that the Brute 1078 is THE BEST BIKE , PERIOD. I am seriously contemplating one but we won't get them until the end of this year.

MVA Sydney
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 02:04 AM

I had an opportunity to test ride a 1078 RR last week. Really enjoyed the bike etc. However, the only thing I noticed which let it down slightly was the injector covers and ram air tube covers. They are no longer finished off to such a high standard. Also, I wonder how they will look after a little age etc. I don't know what they are like on the Brut.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode