motorcycle tie downs - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

motorcycle tie downs

Came across these comments on another list regarding Canyon Dancers bike tie downs. I use them but only as a back up system. Worth considering these http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...r-tie-down.htm tie downs instead of Canyon Dancers. They seem to meet the requirements listed.

Like you, I too was very happy to find a painless and easy tie-down front end method for the various (full fairing, full bodied) motorcycles I owned.

I used the Canyon Dancer for almost two years when I had the misfortune to need frame alignment services. At this time GMD Computrac was the leading edge of frame alignment in the USA and while there I had lengthy one-on-one discussion with Kent Soignier of GMD Computrack, Atlanta. This was in 1998 when Kent was the first in America to offer laser chassis alignment and set-up services to AMA racers and the public.

Kent showed me how easy it was to put uneven pressure on the handlebars that would twist and alter the front wheel alignment in respect to frame centerline and rear wheel. He pointed out how many upper yokes did not have a pinch bolt securing the yoke in a manner that easily allowed front ends to be misaligned. He also showed me how easily this happened because it was so difficult to put e-x-a-c-t-l-y the same force on both tie-downs, thereby causing immediate distortion pressures on the front end ....... and to make matters worse ....... the bike was (usually) subjected to considerable shaking forces going down the road in trailers with very stiff suspensions (ever ride on/in a
motorcycle trailer? Try it some day, you will not like it.) that exaggerated these
forces for hours and sometimes days while taking a pounding.

Then Kent made all the sense in the world by describing how to tie down a motorcycle in a manner that did not put any twisting forces on the motorcycle's suspension, so I went home and wrote my article to share what I had learned.
http://www.mad-ducati.com/ShowPage2....n/TieDown.html.

The key to the whole tie-down issue is to secure a motorcycle in a manner that allows the motorcycle to be secured without putting stress and pressures on the motorcycle and to allow the bike to ride on it's own free floating suspension without twisting forces applied to it.

So now, some 10 years after my article, which has been used and read by thousands of motorcyclists around the world, there are still many that will secure their bikes with tie-down's attached to (sprung) locations on their bikes usually the handlebars.....which adds leverage to the twisting forces and they happily go down the road not knowing they are twisting their machines out of
alignment. If only they knew that a simple change of tie-down location (on the bike) would avoid harmful twisting pressures and keep their bikes straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode