Arrow Shorty Fitting Disaster - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Shorty Fitting Disaster

As the title suggests, that's exactly what I had last week. It's all sorted now but a job that should have taken an hour max, ended up lasting 4 hours and included a night of cursing myself, a lot of swearing and throwing of tools then a trip to a friend's workshop.

I had wanted to fit the Arrow Shorty to the Brutale for a while and when it eventually arrived I couldn't wait to get home and fit it. 20 minutes after getting home I only 1 bolt holding the footpeg to the frame to remove, put the whole lot back together then take the bike out to experience the new roar of the Brutale, WRONG !!!

No matter what I tried I could not get the last bolt to come loose. Eventually after an hour of blood, sweat and tears I had only succeeded in ruining the head of the bolt. By this time I am absolutely pi$$ed off with myself big time and gutted I couldn't hear the new exhaust.,I had cut a groove across the head of the bolt to try and use a screwdriver, I had tried an adjustable wrench, a heat gun, an easy out ( which broke off inside the head of the bolt ) but nothing would budge it. Eventually I gave up and decided to drown my sorrows with my favourite female friend Stella Artois and go and see someone who knew what they were doing the next day.

the following day I went to see a friend who owns a car workshop for some advice. He gave me a tool he called an impact driver, what a great f%$&ing thing that is. Two smacks with it and the bolt was loose. I'm sure you can imagine my relief. 20 minutes later it was all back together, going great and sounding fantastic.

Once I had got back and had cleared my mess up I had a good look at the offending bolt, compared to all the others which had only a few of the theads coated, the damn thing had what looked like blue locktite rite up to the head. Anyway, I have learned my lesson, no more amateur mechanics for me, or

Brutale,you gotta love it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Established Member

Send a message via MSN to Furre
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatley View Post
As the title suggests, that's exactly what I had last week. It's all sorted now but a job that should have taken an hour max, ended up lasting 4 hours and included a night of cursing myself, a lot of swearing and throwing of tools then a trip to a friend's workshop.

I had wanted to fit the Arrow Shorty to the Brutale for a while and when it eventually arrived I couldn't wait to get home and fit it. 20 minutes after getting home I only 1 bolt holding the footpeg to the frame to remove, put the whole lot back together then take the bike out to experience the new roar of the Brutale, WRONG !!!

No matter what I tried I could not get the last bolt to come loose. Eventually after an hour of blood, sweat and tears I had only succeeded in ruining the head of the bolt. By this time I am absolutely pi$$ed off with myself big time and gutted I couldn't hear the new exhaust.,I had cut a groove across the head of the bolt to try and use a screwdriver, I had tried an adjustable wrench, a heat gun, an easy out ( which broke off inside the head of the bolt ) but nothing would budge it. Eventually I gave up and decided to drown my sorrows with my favourite female friend Stella Artois and go and see someone who knew what they were doing the next day.

the following day I went to see a friend who owns a car workshop for some advice. He gave me a tool he called an impact driver, what a great f%$&ing thing that is. Two smacks with it and the bolt was loose. I'm sure you can imagine my relief. 20 minutes later it was all back together, going great and sounding fantastic.

Once I had got back and had cleared my mess up I had a good look at the offending bolt, compared to all the others which had only a few of the theads coated, the damn thing had what looked like blue locktite rite up to the head. Anyway, I have learned my lesson, no more amateur mechanics for me, or
i know exactly what you mean, its suppose to be an hour job(max), yet you end up using waaaaay mutch more time due to some randomness happening.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:48 PM

Exactly same thing happened to me when I fit the Arrow short exhaust.

It takes me 2 hours, but finaly everything is OK;

The bike is now at my dealer to put a Dynojet Power commander.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'72 MV 350 S
'87 Honda XR 350
(sold)
'02 Yamaha TDM 900
(sold)
'05 Brutale 910S
'06 Triumph Daytona 675
'06 BMW R1200GS Adventure

Taste the MV side of life !
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:56 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Just wait until you try fitting it to the racing headers. You have to cut the Arrow midpipe, change the angle and weld it back together.
Maybe I'll post a pic or two.

CAG
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:03 PM

You talking about your BRute there CAG?

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 PM
CAG

Yes. Because the race headers are about three inches longer, you have to cut most of the arrow mid pipe out.

I have some finish work left to do but here is what it looks like so far.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to ptitbeberose
Just wait until you try fitting it to the racing headers. You have to cut the Arrow midpipe, change the angle and weld it back together.

CAG

Are you talking about the same headers you have on ebay and i'm bidding on? How much trouble is it exactly to fit them to the arrow shorty i have coming? I don't want to bite more than I can chew. Maybe I could buy the one you already cut/welded?

2004 Brutale America
2000 Heritage softail
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 05:33 AM
Established Member

Installed to the stock headers last week and had no bolt problems. Which bolt?
I had more problems stretching the new springs.
I've left the baffle in so far, did the new chip, dyno, PCIII last week, didn't dyno stock but it's 129 on a eddy current type non-dynojet dyno
This tune and the 41T sprocket have been VAST improvements in ride fun
Attached Images

Brutale 910R

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 05:53 AM
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptitbeberose View Post

CAG

Are you talking about the same headers you have on ebay and i'm bidding on? How much trouble is it exactly to fit them to the arrow shorty i have coming? I don't want to bite more than I can chew. Maybe I could buy the one you already cut/welded?
See that shiney area in front of the Arrow stubby? That's where the the arrow mid pipe goes from two to one.

It may be possible to heat and bend the back of the Arrow mid pipe to the correct angle then cut it. That would save you the trouble of cutting the pipe, making a piece of stainless steel to fill the gap on one side you have created by cutting then bending the pipe and welding it all back together again.

Any muffler shop could do it in a minute, but It was Sunday, I have some skills, and I'm not a patient person.

CAG
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up Carl, I was considering changing the headers but after my last exhaust escapade I don't think I'll be trying that myself.

Brutale,you gotta love it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode