MV newbie alert, but already addicted to Italian engineering - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
MV newbie alert, but already addicted to Italian engineering

Hi everyone, just thought I'd put down my furst poast. Since I don't own an MV yet, I've only been reading these forums. But soon I'm looking to get a new bike.

I've had a bit of a hunt around on the forums to get the general concensus of the F4S 750s from around 2002. Actually I found a very similar thread where one bloke was considering an R1 or a MV. In my case I'm either going for the CBR600RR or an F4S. Now I know these are very different bikes, but for roughly the same money, the former is brand new, and the latter is around 2002. I've figured out why people buy MVs and how these compare to the jap bikes, and it really is the same reason why I want one too ('want' being the operative word).

I think my only "concern" now is comfort, and I know it's not why we get sportsbikes, but since I'll be on the road 95% of the time, I kinda want something I can spend a few hours on without it being incredibly uncomfortable.

So I suppose I have two questions:
1. What is the comfort level like, on say a 2002 F4S 750 (e.g. 3 hour ride through the twisties? or perhaps an hour through relatively slow traffic)
2. If it is a little firm/harsh, can you get a different seat - will this make any difference at all?

Actually, i have three more!
4. Anyone know where the dealerships are in Melbourne, Australia?
5. Are parts really quite difficult to get in Australia?
6. Is there a significant heat problem with the undertail exahust for a 2002 model?

I own an Alfa, so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with hard to find expensive parts and servicing! I need a beautiful Italian bike to go with my beautiful Alfa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Welcome aboard!

You won't be able to ride the bike more than about 2 1/2 hours anyway with out stopping for fuel. I have done a few 250 mile days on my 750 with no discomfort at all.

CAG
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 10:10 PM

Agreed the fuel only lasts ~100 miles then its time to refill...

But you can do all day riding on it, the first few times you will be hurting, but your body becomes accustomed to the position and you will be fine.

No real heat problems it will be warmer with the exhaust coming under the tail but not really a problem.

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Good to hear the uncomfort thing was a bit over exaggerated.
I'll be one of those people with only one bike - I'm reading a few things that say the F4 is not such a good idea in traffic as it heats up and can overheat. Anyone know if this is in reference to the pre-Evo 02 models? or does that include the Evo 02 model?

Also does anyone know the significant behind the name "F4"? 4 cylinder? 4-stroke? 4 exhaust pipes?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSkitz View Post
I'll be one of those people with only one bike - I'm reading a few things that say the F4 is not such a good idea in traffic as it heats up and can overheat. Anyone know if this is in reference to the pre-Evo 02 models? or does that include the Evo 02 model?

Also does anyone know the significant behind the name "F4"? 4 cylinder? 4-stroke? 4 exhaust pipes?
The overheating is in the 1000R and up models, the 750s did not have the over heating problem, they do run hot but do not over heat

oh and a little history
http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread...hlight=Ferrari

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.

Last edited by Dova80; 05-26-2008 at 11:06 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 11:41 PM

Welcome!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
^Thanks!

I get the feeling a lot of people use their MVs as weekend bikes and perhaps don't do so many miles a year on it? I think I'd use it heaps. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to really rack up the number of miles on this bike? Also what is the service interval for the F4 750?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSkitz View Post

Personally I find my 750 Evo3 more compfortable than a Pan European on long distances (I'm not one for bouncing on the end of my spine).

The F4 bit is supposed to be for Ferrari (who did some early design on the engine), 4 cylinders.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 08:12 AM

Did 270 miles in one day when I was in California to visit my family. My forearms felt like they were goign to explode lol. I was so sore but only in the forearms because I had not ridden A bike in 2-3 months. But other than that, I had no problems the next few days when I did 100+ mile rides.

In terms of mileage 114 and my gas tank light is on. But I dont care I didnt buy it for the efficiency but more for the grin factor. Good luck with your purchase and welcome to the forums. You are starting on an awesome journey!

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode