Ride with Legends - a day with Ago and Phil read - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Ride with Legends - a day with Ago and Phil read

All I can say is- wow. Thanks to Legend of the Motorcycle and all involved with planning this occasiona. Ago, Phil Read, a handful from Cagiva USA, Cycle World, and Alain De Cadenet took a group of MVs up the coast starting from Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles over a few days journey. I was given the opportunity to meet them in Carmel at the beautiful Quail Lodge to ride with them to Half Moon Bay.

Without knowing what time they would depart, Mike (Indy) and I headed off at 8am for the 1.5 hr ride to Carmel. We got there around 9:30 to find a row of MVs sleeping peacefully- waiting for the upcoming adventure.

In special attendance was the 1078 RR - which I believe is the press bike. Stunning in person

We hung abouts the lobby area and outdoor seating and noticed another rider in the lobby, joined by a gentleman carrying this helmet:

Immediately we were welcomed to a conversation with one of the legends, Phil Read. He is probably one of the most kind and outgoing "celebrities" i have had the pleasure to run into. Full of fun, interesting stories (and jokes about why hes better than Ago ). He was seeking a smoke, and Mike stepped in with some cigars-

He was happy (Phil) ..and of course Mike

We got in a chat with the Cycle World editor (his name has escaped me- Mike?). He mentioned the CC was in the other lot- Mike and I had missed it. So we walked over there where it had been sleeping. No rolling motorcycles into the quail lodge this time. Simply an overnight stay outside. They had taken the CC and F4 1078RR out for some photos earlier and the key had accidently been left on the bike ... with the ignition turned to "on" to ...i presume cool off the bike. It had already been 30 minutes... battery was toast. Bump anyone?

We got to toy around with it- as the editor says.. "its just a bike". He was thinking he should move it with the rest of the MV group in the other lot. He then mentioned that we could move it if we wanted...Mike quickly jumped at the opportunity!!

We grouped up- everyone was ready to go after a good breakfast. We got gas at the station nearby. Wow, who would ever see Ago filling up gas on the new F4 1078 RR 312?

Or a CC.....being filled up by Phil Read???

Ago checked out my bike, and showed his son "his bike"

We hopped over the hill and onto the 68. They sure love cutting through traffic and zipping around corners! They got onto the road to Laguna- what could be brewing in their minds? Alain chatted with the kind lady at the booth who let us go through. We ended up in the center parking area- and nobody was around. Hmm... what if we just did a quick lap?

(I have video of the lap- to be posted soon)

When we ended the lap, a bunch of SCRAMP personel were waiting for us at the entrance. Whoops. Alain did some talking about how he called ahead and how (insert random name here) gave us the go ahead. The SCRAMP people were a bit anal about it but didn't appear to be mad- just a bit shocked we let ourselves on. We quickly just decided to get our asses out of there!

After a quick lunch with the legends:

We shot up the coastline. I can't even say how interesting and amazing it is to see them ride the california roads. They will ZIP through traffic, pass on the shoulders, split traffic, all the things you can imagine to get from A to B the quickest. Racers at heart. We stopped for a few photos

They had asked for my bike to be placed up against the cliff for a shoot with Ago. Then they took some group photos with us.

We arrived in half moon bay safely without any tickets at 5pm. I had gone 25 miles with my gas light on and thought i was going to run out any second.

Matt Stutzman came up to me after we arrived and parked at the front of the hotel. CC keys in hand, he looked at me and said- 10 minutes, take the CC out and have fun.. wow, what an honor!!!

Off to highway 1!

I took it out for a few lights before turning around. Not before cranking open the throttle and seeing what it had inside. That motor is really something, a lot of low end pull. I can imagine it'd be nice to putt around on that bike since it feels so easy to ride. The weight difference to me felt immediately noticeable. It may not be a huge difference on paper, but you can feel it just mounting the bike. Whatever seat they had on the bike- it was much more comfortable. The brakes of course are amazing. Makes me want Brembos- really nice feel. I don't know what else to say- many thanks to those who were involved. Thanks to Mike for going with me, thanks to the Legend of the Motorcycle, and thanks to Matt for the amazing opportunity!

Last edited by alvin; 05-04-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 01:08 PM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
WOW!!!!!! what an event...

wish I could have been there...

O D O N A T A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Ambassador / 007

Waiting for new bike

Send a message via Skype™ to pigiolino
FANTASTIC DAY!!!!!!!!Compliments Alvin!!What AGO sayed about your confirmed pieces on your bike?
Pier

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:20 PM

That's fantastic!!!

Tony

BZ Livin

2003 DRZ 400
2006 ST3S ABS
2007 F4 1000R
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Established Member

What a day for you guys!!! OUTSTANDING

SENNA #243-SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:07 PM

New Site Garage
Dang. Very cool opportunity for you, someone who is very deserving of that honor.

Thanks for the story and the pics!

Griff
twoeleven
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to drmasis
Alvin,
Fantastic tale and pics, what I would have given to be there!

06 F4CC
09 F4 1078RR
15 Multi 1200S
“Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”
― William Saroyan
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:34 PM

Truly impressive! To bad I was on the other side of the planet, in the desert, and missed out on this. Thank You for the great photo story.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 AM
JSM

Gents,
thanks for posting the pictures and story, you are truly very blessed to have spent time with two of the worlds greatest racers and equally as important, it would appear that Ago and Read have "buried the hatchett" regards there personal indiferences
Great Post

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 07:12 AM
JSM

Oh,
and in case you did not know, thats a young Phil Read sitting on the mini me GP in my avatar !!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode