3 days, 1000 miles, Socal MV.net meet through my eyes - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
3 days, 1000 miles, Socal MV.net meet through my eyes

First off, I must say, thanks to Julio (Darkside) for getting convinced by me about how great this ride would be.

Friday morning we both left at 8:30am from San Jose, California. Over 400 miles of road ahead of us, and no sun to be seen . The weather was cold, and I crossed my fingers for warmer weather. After the first 100 miles we stopped for gas and I had to run my hands under hot water in the gas station bathroom to regain feeling. It was quite a cold experience, but with limited space on board, I knew i couldn't hold extra layers if I were to get too hot. What a mistake! We quickly did 200 miles on the Brutales down 101- painless without much traffic. After stopping for a quick bite of fast food, we filled up and headed out on 58 which cuts inland towards the middle of nowhere really. The first part includes some really nice long sweepers, great condition road, worth the trip by itself! But that's not what the road is all about, the middle contains some long straights, fields of grass, and the famous "rollercoaster" of short rolling hills which don't really make any sense.

The last breath before my camera got pummeled by bugs and didn't work again- a video along the 58 rollercoaster. It's a bit stretched in a wide way, but you get the picture. You will see there is no oncoming traffic in the entire video...no comment on the speed

http://gallery.mvagusta.net/admin/ph...agustanet2008/

As you can see in the video 58 has some odd 90 degree turns in the middle of nowhere but other than that it's pretty darn straight!

We filled up in Taft and hopped onto 33 heading towards Ojai. Straight for awhile, then incredible INCREDIBLE twisties. No time for photos there except for the twins to enjoy the view:

And Julio to "admire it" again:

If anyone can, make a trip out to Ojai and ride 33. I've done a lot of roads from all over california and I think 33 is probably my favorite!

---------------

Saturday morning was the day! Many got there before 9am and we lined up on the side street of the gas station. Thanks to Guy filming much of the event:

They started growing:

And people filled up gas:

We headed out on Angeles Crest- COLD morning with low clouds. After 10 miles we came to our first stop-

What a beautiful sight..

Group photo!

I went ahead and setup to take photos. While waiting I took some test shots. You can see the low clouds/fog..

Then came the group!

(Everyone should have a photo in my album)

We came up to Newcombs and the top part of the lot was surprisingly empty. PERFECT for lining the bikes up!

Perfect weather up here- thanks for EVERYONE that came out to the event; including the 3 chase cars (SLK, Porsche, Ferrari).

A group of us headed up from Newcombs where we encountered some road debris and snow along the road:

After a trip to Pro Italia, I was all smiles on the way out-

---------------

Sunday was probably the coldest of all- I metup with Chris (agusta 17) and Julio (Darkside) in Sherman Oaks. We headed out, filled up 90 miles later in Santa Barbara, and again in San Luis Obispo, before hopping onto scenic Highway 1. Although cold, the views were spectacular! We came to Gorda running a little late and lacking reception. We were planning to meet with Richard on his Brutale (rickyleesurf) but unfortunately he came and left. Gorda had a gas station, talk about expensive gas (2ish gallons, 14ish or so bucks?)

After another 10 miles of riding we came up to Nacimiento-Fergusson road. For anyone who doesn't know what this road is, its a small mostly one lane (with good pavement) road that winds up the hills along Highway 1. It's not a famous road, but one that is popular with us motorcycling folks. Only a few minutes renders some incredible views- so if you're going through it, DEFINITELY go up it!

Chris & Julio admiring the views from above!

And another viewpoint looking down on Highway 1:

3 brutales for the calendar shot:

Chris riding down:

Along with Julio:

And me (with a random rider in the background)

30 miles north we stopped to eat at the famous Nepenthe restaurant. Great environment, great people, and best of all, GREAT VIEW at the tables:

When we got to the parking lot, we saw Richards Brutale there! We stopped onto the table area and found him just receiving his food. Everything worked out- and we had a great meal together. Following our mid afternoon (3ish pm) lunch, 4 brutales went up the coastline through Big Sur! Beautiful, epic, great, something everyone has to do in their lifetime. Richard and Chris broke off to Monterey and Julio and I continued to San Jose. I can't express how much I enjoyed riding with everyone; a weekend to go in the history books!

All phots can be found here:

http://gallery.mvagusta.net/admin/mvagustanet2008/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:12 PM

New Site Garage
Excellent, Smithers!!! Thanks for all of your hard work, the organization, the pics and vids, and the story.

I mailed our check to the McCauley Family trust today, with a brief note about who we are and what we did...Thank you to everyone who so thoughtfully contributed to the trust, and to everyone who made this such a special day.

It may not have been a typical run up the crest as far as speeds were concerned, but it was fun in a million different ways anyway, and it sounds like we all made it home safe.

Good to see everyone,

Griff
twoeleven
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 PM

Looks like a great time man! Its a pitty I couldnt make this perhaps next year I will haul the MV out and do a little cali touring with you all.

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Not very lucky..

Thanks for the pics....they came out great!!!
Next year we should take the same route
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:55 PM

Alvin, I just spent the past hour pouring over the pictures in the album -- what a great time, and so very well documented. With the CalSpeedway event the day prior, this was a weekend that will be hard to top!
Good job everyone -- especially Alvin.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
Thanks for the pics....they came out great!!!
Next year we should take the same route
We should do more riding!

2 weeks!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 02:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to punisher203
Thanks For Great Photos Along With Story
Awesome Alvin
Really Nice To See You, Sorry For 2 Short Meet
Hope To See You And Guys Soon.

01 MV AGUST F4S 750 RED/ SILVER (TRADE IN) (no more)
07 MV AGUST F4 1000 BK/WHT (No more)
2010 MV AUGUSTA F4 stolen 5/7/2013
new 2013 Brutale 1090RR Wht/Gold
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 11:16 AM
The Dude

wow, that's fantastic!

thanks for the pics alvin! very cool....

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 11:58 AM

Thanks Alvin!! It was a great day and a great group!

Tony

BZ Livin

2003 DRZ 400
2006 ST3S ABS
2007 F4 1000R
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:36 PM

Wow 3 Sennas! SOOO HOOOTTT!!

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode