VW to buy MV Agusta (old rumor, old thread) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

VW to buy MV Agusta (old rumor, old thread)

In a recent interview former president and still head of the board of VW Ferdinand Piech declared that VW would like to expand its portfolio with a small (but profitably) bike-company. He also confirmed regretting not to been able to buy Ducati when it was up for sale in 1985. Ferdinand also drives a Ducati Superbike so is specially fond of Italian bikes.

Since BMW is the main target for VW-Audi and BMW is entering the superbike class with the new R1000SS it would be likely that VW is looking for a motorbike brand to have this part of the market covered. And maybe enter the WSB competition?

1+1=2 so....

At this moment the only ‘small’ sports motorbike company likely for sale is MV Agusta and since rumours have been circulating freely I wouldn’t be surprised if the Italian company came under German ownership by VW. Remember VW also owns Lamborghini and has been fairly successful in making is profitable.

How many Audis or VW Phaetons have you seen lately at the Varese factory?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 PM

I guess it depends on how big is MV's debt but I'd be happy with a VW/Audi ownership - may get Porsche to help with some of the engineering as well.

Do you think direct injection technology could work on a motorcycle engine? How about magnetic suspension?
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:25 PM
well they did get porsche to make them the cart system they use at the factory to build the bike so they are speaking to the germans about stuff
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:27 PM

NOOOO I dont like a boring company like VW but mv agusta could use the money I guess but I rather hope for a nicer more excotic company
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:28 PM

That would be awesome if VW bought MV and made it a player!

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
Do you think direct injection technology could work on a motorcycle engine? How about magnetic suspension?
I guess both technologies could be very innovative and would bring something new to the world of superbikes. Think about a superbike that is very docile and comfy at slow speeds and very sharp and harder sprung at the simple flick of a button. Could be much beter than the system of Suzuki GSXR that is in car-terms (think BMW M5) very primitive. Car technology has come far enough to be brought to bikes (always some delay because two wheels never forgive as much as 4 when technology goes wrong).

Start dreaming about a F4 1000 with 200 HP, 180 kg thanks to carbon chassis, Titanium parts and other exotic stuff. Tested by and as reliable as a Porsche.

Personaly being a BMW-fan I have mixed emotions, never been very keen on the modern beetles. Could be hard to decide between the fantasy new Agusta or the new street R1000SS. Guess a lot will depend on prices and technology.

Maybe car-industry should also consider looking at bikes. What makes them great is low weight and a lot of power. A BMW M5 is great to drive and has lots of power. In the end it never delivers as much sensations as a superbike (is a lot safer on modern roads though...)
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agusta312sl View Post
well they did get porsche to make them the cart system they use at the factory to build the bike so they are speaking to the germans about stuff

Interesting . If I recall correctly, Porsche learned the chart system from the Japanese in the 1990s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickadelic View Post
NOOOO I dont like a boring company like VW but mv agusta could use the money I guess but I rather hope for a nicer more excotic company

For for VW being "boring", VW is the mass market extension of Audi and also has close ties with Porsche It's been years since I followed the brands but I think VW/Audi's CEOs are of the Porsche family.

Ultimately, the technology the VW/Audi/Porsche group could bring to MV Agusta would be beneficial. Styling, I'm sure, would remain "Italian" as it's a trademark of the brand. I just questions VW's reliability....but then I don't consider MV under Cagiva bullet proof either.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:42 PM

VW also owns Bugatti and Lamborghini.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:44 PM
The big Italian companies should be ashamed of themselves. A great name/marque like MV Agusta should be taken up by the likes of Fiat and given to the likes of Ferrari or Alfa Romeo IMO. They did it with Maserati at look at them now. Very sad indeed. Tifosi through and through me
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:45 PM

Turbo Diesel F4

F = Fahrvergneugen

A gun is not a weapon. It's a tool, like a butcher's knife, or a harpoon, or an alligator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode