Renaissance Motorcycle Shop Is Horrible - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Renaissance Motorcycle Shop Is Horrible

Just wanted to tell everyone how horrible the shop is. I went in early last week and dropped off my tank. The fuel fitting wouldn't go in and where the fuel pump

and tank meet wouldn't seal. I told them to order the nuts that hold the pump to the tank and also to order various small item parts. Last saturday I dropped of

the bike and they PROMISED me that the bike would be done tuesday if there was nothing major wrong. I called at 2:00 on tuesday and they said that my bike

wasn't on the schedule. they said that wednesday the bike would be done no problem. I went in today and they haven't done anything to the bike. They told me

all the problems with the bike. The same problems that I told them on Saturday. they never ordered the nuts or other parts that I wanted. They just ordered

them today and never got in touch with me to see if i wanted the parts here faster. I wouldn't be in a big hurry but I told them last week when I made the

appointment that I was leaving soon. I will be gone for a year. They promised me that it would be done. the owner of the shop told me that it wasn't a big deal

and it wasn't his problem. I just wanted to let everyone know how bad there service is. I am taking it to my local race shop Evan Steel Proformance and if they

can't fix it then it will go to Pro Italia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:39 AM

That's too bad; Normally Steve and Bill do a pretty good job of staying on top of things.
They've bent over backwards more than once for me, and Steve always treats my bike as if it's his own, but he does not like to be put under a time crunch and is often (always) overbooked and running behind.
But I understand what it's like to want your bike, and find it's just sitting there, though this has only happened to me with Scottsdale MV, not with Ren. except when they're wating on parts, and then their hands are tied.
I did find out that the part mine is wating on was not ordered by Ferraci unitl 2 weeks after Renaisance ordered it from them.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 02:02 AM

I mostly dealt with Steve when he was at his old shop when I bought my 748 from him. Always treated me fine. He didnt even mind me spending countless hours just drooling over his bikes each week. He was very patient with me when I ordered my all silver MV from him back in 2001, after 8 months of waiting for MV to build it I ended up getting a red and silver 1+1 off of ebay. I believe Allen was lucky enough to get that silver one when it finally came in. Of course I was never in a rush when i dropped off my bikes so i can understand somewhat. When I dropped my MV off for the 6000 mile service all went well except the valve cover gasket wouldnt seat properly and oil would seep out causing lots of smoke. Took three trips to Steve but he was determined to get it fixed properly. I always know to book well in advance for service. Even though I now sadly reside in Louisiana I would certainly bring my MV to him for service.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I never try to rush anyone that works on my things. My car is in the shop and and has been there for two months. It sat for a month before they could touch it. My paint sat for over 4 months when it finally got done. The only reason that I had a problem with renaissance is that they promised me that it would get fixed on tuesday. It was on the schedule on tuesday but never got touched. I took the tank in early in the week last week with a list of parts that they needed to order and they didn't order any parts. They told me that they would call me and let me know how everything was going and no phone calls. Then when i go in there is no explanation. The owner tells me that parts come in on friday and he might have it fixed on saturday. if he doesn't then I can pick it up on tuesday. I am leaving early in the morning on tuesday and cant pick the bike up. He didn't say anything. I then left. That is why im mad.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV ROB View Post
I believe Allen was lucky enough to get that silver one when it finally came in.

You mean this one? Ironically, I wanted the red/silver to replace the one that was totaled but Andy (who I met that day I was there) convinced me to go with all silver.

I know Renaissance has grown since I last stop by in 2005 but if I know Steve:

1) He doesn't like to be rushed. He has the small time, old fashion shop mentality -which isn't bad

2) He can get overwhelmed and as a result a bit grumpy at times. He's service bay can't turn around bikes like Pro Italia.

3) But on the plus side, I've found him to bit pretty honest. He won't try to cheat you but he will still charge you for every little washer.

4) Don't know if this has changed but he said he reserves Saturdays for "out of towners" like people who ride down from Phoenix to get their bikes serviced. At the time, that helped me out because it's a hassle to drive 90 miles one way and off a bike one week and then make another 90 mile trip to pick it up. Help me out big time when I had to have the MV towed down there.

So, I suppose he's probably having an off time right now.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 AM

I dont know anything about that shop in particular, but I think what you experienced is very common as a general theme for moto shops. Unless you are "one of the boys" (i.e., you know guys in the shop personally, etc.) you by-and-large will get horrific service, reliability, and accountability. More often than not (easily over 60% of the time) I have brought a bike in for routine service or to have something fixed - the bike is returned late, well over cost, and in worse condition than when I brought it in. Once in TX I brought a kawa ninja in for nothing more than its 5000 mile service and when I picked it up and rode home, it barely ran. When I called (furious) after limping home, the shop said "not our fault, you brought it in that way." First, that was a lie, the bike was runnig fine. Second, even if it had been true, why didnt they fix it!?

Anyway, IMHO, the "average" walk-in customer (even if they purchased the bike there) is treated with contempt and disregard by moto shops because shops are a very limited resource and they have a backup of customers so none individually is considered important.

In my line of work, if we treated our clients like moto shops do generally, we would be out of work in about 3 days.

Recent example? My bike (F4) just returned to a shop for a leak repair that the shop said was made when the bike was in a few weeks ago to have it repaired in the first instance. But, the bike came back not fixed and leaking worse than before even though I had told them explicitly where the leak was. I am not at all mechanically talented. I am lucky to know the difference between a standard and phillips screwdriver - and yet the "leak" was clear as day to me and diagnosible in <5 mins. An MV mechanic should have been able to spot the leak, while blindfolded, in another room, while asleep.

They now have had the bike for 4 days (on its second visit, that is), and do you think I've gotten even a coutesy phone call yet saying what they are doing to resolve the problem and when it might be resolved? I would love to suggest that whne the new MVs come out I will likely buy mine from a different store - but in the end, what do they care? They make so many sales that one doesnt make a bit of difference to them. Customers have no leverage.

It just gets irritating when time and again the customer forking over the cash is considered nothing more than a mere nuisance. Maybe if there were shops lined up and down the roads there would be competition and hence a better service experience.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:52 AM

Allan your first bike was totalled? Did I miss something?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obmot View Post
Allan your first bike was totalled? Did I miss something?
Yes. First MV was a red/silver 750 from 4/2000 to 1/2002 which was totalled when a BMW X5 got in my way; Second was the silver 750 from 2/2002 to 10/2004 -sold ; and then there's my current 1000 from 8/06 to present.

Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack this thread
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 02:29 PM

[QUOTE=Allan Gibbs;177785]You mean this one? Ironically, I wanted the red/silver to replace the one that was totaled but Andy (who I met that day I was there) convinced me to go with all silver.

oh that was RUDE!! lol yah that one. I waited soooo long for that one to come in but I gave up hope and found that red and silver which I was quite happy with. I plan on finding another red and silver F4750 or Senna 750 when I pay off my Concours 14 . I still remember the day Steve uncrated the first Senna in his old shop, I wanted one then and still want it now. Im curious to know how many silver ones they brought to the States.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode