Has the MV brand image been damaged? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Has the MV brand image been damaged?

Sadly, I think the brand image has been damaged. All these various models and colour schemes in quick succession. Its not only damaged the image but also the sale prices. People are not buying them because of whats been happening and who can blame them. I suspect even dealers have had enough and I feel we could see some of them packing in their MV section. At the end of the day, MV have only got themselves to blame. Unfortunately, I don't think bike mags etc take them serious at the moment. Time will tell!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:09 PM

I don't think MV have a large enough presence within the UK that anybody other than existing MV owners would notice to be honest.

What image do they have exactly?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley Hare
I don't think MV have a large enough presence within the UK that anybody other than existing MV owners would notice to be honest.

What image do they have exactly?
Yes i agree with you.... not everyone except us know abt MV progress.

TO most other bikers

Its just a expensive bike without any trophies
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:26 PM

Kind of. I know a dealer was really pissed off at the latest U.S. sales promotion being 2007 F4Rs to $20,000 USD. BUT, when I spoke to that dealer on Saturday, they told me they already had deposits for the F4RR.

On the other hand, the press MV has been getting lately in the U.S. with the 312, Masterbike, and the Bonneville Speed Record has changed the perception the F4 is all show and no go (a stereotype set with the 2000 F4 750). So, I think MV is in the best marketing position it's ever been in the U.S. So, to the general sport bike rider - who may have always wanted an MV but were turned off the lack of power and price, this current sales promotion is a good thing. The general sport bike rider doesn't care about special editions or a $100,000 motorcycle. They just want a good looking bike that can keep up with their friends and not cost them an arm & a leg.

But to the MV enthusiast, yes, the brand may have lost it luster - but MV can't keep selling to the same 3,000 people.

Last edited by Allan Gibbs; 11-27-2007 at 05:00 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonioshabirto

TO most other bikers

+1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'72 MV 350 S
'87 Honda XR 350
(sold)
'02 Yamaha TDM 900
(sold)
'05 Brutale 910S
'06 Triumph Daytona 675
'06 BMW R1200GS Adventure

Taste the MV side of life !
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs
On the other hand, the press MV has been getting lately in the U.S. with the 312, Masterbike, and the Bonneville Speed Record has changed the perception the F4 is all show and no go (a stereotype set with the 2000 F4 750). So, I think MV is in the best marketing position it's ever been in the U.S. So, to the general sport bike rider - who may have always wanted an MV but were turned off the lack of power and price, this current sales promotion is a good thing. The general sport bike rider doesn't care about special editions or a $100,000 motorcycle. They just want a good looking bike that can keep up with their friends and not cost them an arm & a leg.

But to the MV enthusiast, yes, the brand may have lost it luster - but MV can't keep selling to the same 3,000 people.
+1
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Not so Down Here. The brand is very well respected, gets great press, wins a lot of dometsic races, and sell very well. Albeit we are a tiny market so the sales volume is not an issue. Maybe it's because we don't bother with so much of the bullshit that seems to go on in other countries (like the UK).
MV is alive and well down under. Our Importer has been given special models in appreciation from CC including a Cagiva 500 GP bike, so they must be happy.
The reception to the new models is very high with my local dealer saying his bookings are way up for the new models. They are new buyers with most MV owners opting not to trade up.
Also Australia is a very big market for other Italians, and is the largest market per capita for Dukes and Harleys in the world!

MVA Sydney
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:58 PM

I don't see the brand damage. Perhaps the new color schemes are a question mark, but I will withhold judgement until I see them in the flesh. Otherwise it's just continuous improvement from my perspective. Why not more hp and torque? Particularly if the pricing is roughly the same. It devalues the older bikes, but that's a fact of life. Finally, , I don't see how they had an option after the success of the 1098. Until the new model is ready they had to respond. If they introducted nothing in Milan I suspect they would have been just as much rancor.

08 BMW HP2 Sport
10 MV 1090RR
86 BMW R80 G/S
47 Indian Chief
73 Norton Commando Cafe Racer
70 BMW R50/5
70 Triumph T100C
68 BMW R60/2
80 Vespa PX 125
Derringer Indian Board Track Replica
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonioshabirto

TO most other bikers

Most of whom have never ridden an MV and have NO idea what they are missing.

As for all the variants of the F4 and some sort of perceived brand dillution, I don't feel that's the case either. Castiglioni has always said that this bike will be with us for a long time (gotta pay for all that development and tooling somehow) and that the business model he was going to employ is like Porsche. Specifically, the 911.

Additionally, Ducati admitted that they terminated the 916/998 design too early.

Alex
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:56 PM
You know what? I have a 05 750 brutale. I love that bike and so do all the people that stop to take a close look at it. I believe that the exotic looks of the bike will keep people intoxicated. I know that a lot of people are into the how many cc's is it and how fast does it go. But to me, it is plenty fast, plenty fun, and plenty sexy. Damage has been done in how much moolah I have spent
to enjoy the MV experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode