Your ride today??? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Your ride today???

Most of us in the US have today off, and if we get an early start, there should be some good riding out there...

Are you going to/did you ride today? Where did you go, how far, and what bike?

I am heading out right now, it is cool out, but clear. I am heading south to the backroads of lower Corona, through Lake Elsinore (the town, not the actual lake!) and then up and over Ortega Highway and back. Today's mount, 2005 MV Agusta F41000 Tamburini. It will be about 120 miles all together.

What did you ride today??? How was it...

Today's ride thread is started, share your day here...Pictures too!

Griff
twoeleven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:46 AM

OOOOOOOoooooo

Ride Safe guys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoeleven
I am heading out right now, it is cool out, but clear.

Griff
twoeleven
I am a very long way from home with still six days before I get back, even then it snowed at home yesterday. I am jealous of you, enjoy your ride and be safe.

Gawaine
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 10:17 AM

Happy and safe ride!
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Guys you should see the view from my window as I read this thread: It's 4.20pm here in the UK and pitch black out. The rain is hammering down and even at lunch time it was cold enough to make me numb when I went out for a something to eat. Worse than that, there's a thread on here about looking on the bright side of winter - well i'm afraid I just can't. The roads have been salted and that means if we ride our MVs between now and spring we're violating them!

OK I'll stop going on and besides, if any of you have any great rides to tell us about they make really enjoyable reading. Have a good day all you who are off out.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 11:00 AM

I'm at work....but the MV's at Pro Italia getting news shoes. And today's the day of their 30% sale for Ducati items and 15% for other items.

www.proitalia.com
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I dedicate this short tale to all of those who couldn't get out the on two wheels today, I shall attempt to put you where I was this morning.

I used to live right down by the beach, Hermosa Beach to be exact. A morning like this would have found me in the ocean surfing, cold water and glassy surf crashing heavy under a thick marine layer. I loved it down there, but it was no fun to ride. Heavily congested and 45 minutes away from any kind of open road, it was a trade of the beauty of Mother Nature for the thrill of living somewhere that I could ride.

Four years ago this winter I moved inland to the East, near the intersection of the 91 and 15 freeways, the Inland Empire. There is a lot to love about it here, close to Los Angeles, yet minutes from nowhere but open country. The backdrop of the Ortega Mountain Range of the Cleveland National Forest reminds me of where I grew up in Colorado. It is typically much warmer here on any given day than it is in Hermosa, but it is the riding that will keep me here for some time.

It was bright and still misty in the lower elevations, but the sun was quickly burning the last of the morning fog away as I surveyed the horizon. I rolled the Tamburini down the short drive and thumbed the starter. This bike almost explodes to life at the first touch of the ignitor, it is by far my most anxious to start motorcycle, it just pops to life.

The Tamburini always feels different from whatever I have recently been riding (in this case, GSXR 750 from yesterday), from the second I reach for the bars and realize how hard the seat it. It definately reminds you this is different. On my roll down the hill towards the freeway entrance, I took a few deep swerves to get the feel back, and worked the warming motor through a few gear changes. I hit the on-ramp light while green, which is rare, and accelerated downhill for the 180 degree right hander that puts you onto the 15 South. You can't screw around here, as tempting as it is, a low side on cold tires would put you into the southbound lanes of the freeway...

With the on-ramp in my mirrors and a check of clear traffic, I pushed launch. The bike accelerated fiercly and I began a gentle angle across all of the lanes, after applying my horn instead of the blinkers...(Is there an FAQ on that, I really don't need those buttons inverted!). I arrived in the fast lane after using my mirrors to verify my elbows were still there, and set a nice cruising pace for the few mile drone down the CA15.

I peeled off at Old Temescal Canyon and banked right to head in the south direction. I trolled past Tom's Farms and saw some Harley guys beginning to congregate outside the hamburger stand. After the last of civilization was left behind, I twisted my hand a bit more, and let the bike breathe in the morning air. I could feel the cool air piercing my perforated suit on my chest as I accelerated, brisk, but not too cold. The road winds aimlessly through some rolling foothills here, shooting its way through long open sections, and banking itself through tree-lined corners. With the mountains rolling around in your peripheral vision, and the trees and power lines racing by as the deserted road lays out its tracks in front of you, this really is a great place to ride.

The road was deserted and the Tamburini was howling out of the corners, the pull of the bars driving me to twist the throttle more, only to be rewarded with the increasingly evil noise filling my ears. I arrived on the outskirts of Lake Elsinore, and returned to a far more reserved clip. Snaking my way along the foothills on the wide neighborhood highway, there still was hardly a car on the road.

I arrived at the Ortega Highway intersection and made the right hander onto the CA74. I zoomed up the front side, past the Lookout and out and over the summit, down into the valley to the Candy Store below. That run is my favorite part of the road, and the capable Tamburini was operating well within its limits. Because construction continues just to the west of there, I turned around and re-traced my route back to the start, I had not come up on a single car yet, in my lane. I repeated the entire sortie one more time, only upon returning to the bottom I continued back north through Elsinore, beginning the return trip home.

Traffic was noticeably heavier on that second run over the summit, and coming back down I was stuck behind a line of cars for the last little bit. The backroads were still mostly deserted, although it was clear the people were waking up and joining the day. I made my way back up onto the 15 to ride north back towards my house. I stopped to refuel, rode home, and put her back into the garage, mission accomplished. Oh, but I snapped a pic first, of course...

It was a really nice morning for a ride, and I don't think I even thought about surfing today.

Griff
twoeleven

***Disclaimer: This story is completely fictional and for entertainment purposes only, no speed limits were harmed in the making of this story...I assure you.

Last edited by twoeleven; 11-24-2007 at 07:45 AM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:35 PM

Griff,

Wheels are dirty; shame on you.

Thanks for sharing, Peter
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:54 PM

Well that sir is a very nice "story"

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 12:53 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Smile

Thanks. I have read it three times - I feel as though I was there and it was my Dainese jacket in the mirrors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode