How to haul an MV - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

How to haul an MV

Any help would be appreciated. I have a two hour drive to get it home, how do you all haul in the back of a pick up without scratching anything and make sure it gets home safely? I thought about the canyon Dancers I think it is that goes across the bars. Didnt know if anyone had any better ideas.

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:12 PM

Baxley Sport Chock--Totally secure and safe, and you can even use it to park the bike in the garage.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

This is not my Truck so I cant really install anything in it.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:27 PM

Just ride it home!

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

lol its supposed to be like 30 degrees and riding it for 2 hours is not going to be fun..lol Besides I only have 600 miles till i have to take it back. I would rather keep then for something a bit more fun than highway riding.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:50 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I use the canyon dancers, I think. It's two sleeves that go over the grips and the tie downs hang from them. I use those in the front and then wrap a Simpson axle strap around the rear wheel and attach two more tie downs in the back. It is probably over kill as the two front ones will work fine.

You do have ramps to get it off the truck, right?

CAG
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 11:01 PM

If you are going to use a pickup you also have to consider how you are going to get your new pride and joy in the bed of the pickup without dropping her. Best thing is to find someone with an enclosed trailer set up for bikes. Ask the local shop. It might be worth a few bucks to pay someone to help pick it up. The Canyon Dancer is a perfect way to tie down the front end. The Baxley is a great choice and you can simply place it in the front of a trailer or pickup bed and strap down the bike properly. It won't move as it has big rubber feet. You will have the added advantage of using the Baxley in your garage...or living room! Be careful and good luck.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Established Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Krokus_910R
Lacking a chock, which is by far the best way to secure your bike, Strapping it in is a good second choice.

Canyon Dancers can twist your grips, so use caution on the throttle side. I use one all the time, the grips will return to their shape after a little bit, faster with heat.
There is a better strap out there but for the life of me I can't remember the brand.

I also rent a U-Haul Motorcycle trailer sometimes, it's cheap and has a ramp. When I use my truck I put the wheels in the gutter at the end of my driveway which lowers the tailgate a good six inches. I have two 8 foot 2x12's which is my ramp and the other I walk up on as I push the bike into the truck. Not stylish but it works.

When I strap the bike in, I do the front first, and have the kickstand up. I attach the straps as low as I can get them in the trailer or truck, and the other end to the handle bars.I pull one side tight a little until the bike tilts, then pull the other side. A little on each side as the suspension compresses so the bike is straight up and down and there is no more moverment in the forks. They make a plastic block you can also put on your tire and under the steeringhead to keep you from having to compress your suspension so much, but I hav enever used one.

I also secure the rear of the bike for left to right movement, and up and down movement. I once just tied the front down, and the bike was slightly leaning, I hit a bump and the rear tire came up and the bike jumped to one side almost breaking the turn signaL. Take your time, tie the bike down, check everything 3 or 4 times.

One the drive home, look at all the people that will be checking out your bike in the truck. If you stop anywhere, be prepared to talk about your bike and answer lots of questions.

Enjoy yourself.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokus_910R
Canyon Dancers can twist your grips, so use caution on the throttle side. I use one all the time, the grips will return to their shape after a little bit, faster with heat.
There is a better strap out there but for the life of me I can't remember the brand.

I agree, when I move my track bike around it stuffs up the grips. Another member (was it lewdog?) posted a link for some others www.cyclecynch.com

They look better to me and good value at $49.99 for the CCII with includes tie downs, so I ordered a set

SENNA 070/300
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 01:44 AM

If you do end up using mere pull downs, be sure to compress the front and rear shocks as much as humanly possible. This'll keep the damn thing from doing some embarrassing at the most improper moment.

Time is a delusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode