New Styling! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
New Styling!

Ok I feel like a ramble.

There has been a lot of discussion recently wanting major upgrades to the F4 and Brutale, so lets have a think about that. WHAT WOULD YOU WANT TO SEE CHANGE? - Heres you chance to have your say...

I will start out.

Have you seen the plethora of new models from the recent shows? Have you noticed how many styling cues there are from the F4 and Brutale across the new models?

In the naked class you can really see the Brutale's influence across many models now. The headlight which was universally panned when it came out, is now looking mandatory, even on the new Honda CBR naked. Except the Tuono which in my eyes is a design styling abomination.
On bikes like the Apilia Shiver, the new Monster, The Moto Morini etc etc the combination trellis frame attached to the side plates is becoming the norm. The low slung pipes, (horribly copied on the monster S4 and S2), is becoming normal, but you know, not one of them seems to have the "wholeness" of design integrity of the brutale. Although the new Hyper Motards coming out from Ducati, KTM, BMW etc are a new breed and I would put them in a different category.
So what should be changed (not graphics) but overall design of the Brutale?

In the sport class it gets a bit harder.

Would it be safe to say that pure sports bikes follow Moto Gp styling? If so then you can see this influence in the new CBR RR, the R6, R1, the GSX RR, the ZX RR etc, and even in the real avant garde KTM. The current GP trends are "origami" type fairings, low slung, and under engine exhausts, real stubby angular rear ends with enourmous number plate hangers, dual sided swingarms, short stubby frames and seating position etc.
Is this the trend we would want the "new " F4 to follow?
My thinking is the buyers of the above machines (especially 600's) will be younger guns wanting the latest and greatest and have them looking like GP replica's.
Is this really the buyers of an F4?
Personally I am close to 50. 25 years ago I would have been all over the new R6, now I have no interest (except purely track, and then it is just a device). I was attracted to the original F4 750 because as a young guy I could never afford an MV but had this burning desire, so when older I jumped at it.

Ducati has had to go back to it's 916 styling cues to satisfy it's buyers for the new 1098. They did include (wisely) some styling cues from their GP bikes. Ducati went back to a single sided swingarm, to two underseat pipes and body work similar to a Desmocedici, best of both worlds.

So what would you see changed on the F4? Lose the SS Swingarm?, lose the 4 pipes up high?, change the fairings?, change the frame? the wheels etc.

This brings up another trend.
Notice how many manufacturers are brinig out modern replicas of some of their classic models?. Ducati with the sport range, Harley, BMW, and all the Japs. Have you seen the new Honda CBR - F range?
Imagine a faithful modern replica of some of those glorious MV's, now that gets me excited!

Sorry back to the F4 and Brutale, what would you see needs changing?

I must say I still love seeing an old or modern 911, and the styling has evolved but is timeless. So for a Ferrari, they are jaw droppingly beautiful. But these cars are not made for the WRX, Supra guys.

MVA Sydney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 06:09 PM

One thing I really, really need is a lower seat height. I'm practically on tippy toes which makes low speed manuvering very scary. I'm 5' 5" btw.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 06:24 PM

I think style wise the MV is a GRAND SLAM and therfore should not be totally scratched to start anew. I think a restyled head light and mirrors would be all the style changes I would like to see made. Keep the 4 pipes, keep the fairing, keep the tail section. I would like to see ALOT less weight. Maybe a 30 lbs reduction. I maybe asking for too much there. Also I would like to see them stick to FIM rules. Its kind of premature to make accusations but if FIM doesnt allow 1100 cc I-4's in Superbike then MV made a major boo boo. If that is in fact the case then they should have kept it 1000 cc's and redesigned the motor. Increase stroke and reduce the bore and increase the redline just like how Suzuki did with the 750 to make it more streetable. And of course include a slipper clutch out of the box. ALL this would make the perfect MV in my opinion.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVASyd
Ok I feel like a ramble.

There has been a lot of discussion recently wanting major upgrades to the F4 and Brutale, so lets have a think about that. WHAT WOULD YOU WANT TO SEE CHANGE? - Heres you chance to have your say...

Greg,
I was just shutting down when I saw this and it got me thinking, particularly after the thread on F4 forum re new engine in old carcus!

When the F4 came out it was years ahead of its time which is why the F4 is still as it is now. MV have a real problem here in coming up with a replacement that will last half the time let alone ten years. MV have to avoid the trap of following current styling cues as the bike will be out of date within a year. Look at the Ducati 999 which was disapointing the moment it arrived at the showrooms.

I don't reckon the 1098 will fair long as much as I love it now, I reckon Ducati will have to consider a re-style in a couple of years...along the lines of the Japanese.

So, where does that leave us? Looking at the F4 I think we are all agreed the headlight needs a re-think - not just to follow the trend but something radical...

We are all pretty protective of the 4 exhausts, and they could be retained, but exiting on one side of the belly pan (4 nice little stubbies on one side??!) or through the seat rather than under - a bit desmodici - granted. The sound is vital and must be seen as a priority.

Being a designer I'm a great advocate of 'form follows function' and the F4 is in dire need of a major diet. Taking off the kilos will start to determine the form and give styling cues for MV to work on.

I saw a Ducati Hypermotard at the weekend and got chatting to the owner. I loved it...its just engine wheels and handle bars...so simple but so beautiful.

The MV engine has to be designed to be more compact and lighter as it will be the heart of both the F4 and Brutale - thats what will start to generate the form. So I totally agree with your views re- 'wholeness' of design.

Reference the 'classics' I will never forget back in the Seventies when 20 to 30 MV Americas trundled into our town. The noise was awesome and from that day I always vowed to get an MV. Shame it took 30 years!

If MV were to try this, aka the 'Paul Smart' Ducati, they would have to get the sound replicated to the exact pitch and volume for it to tug my heart...and if they do it...I will be first to sign on the dotted.

Not sure if anyone agrees with my ramblings, but its getting late, I'm pissed, and about to crash out....hopefully dreaming of that MV wail!
Later,
Tont

The wife said "Go buy some Art"...
...................__O
................_-\<,_\
...............(_)/ (_)
I bought art.....MV Art!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Tont, I think you got it nailed.

Must have been the beers.
I agree, nothing too radical but yes the front headlight, mirrors and fairing around there. Yes to the four pipes, and agree four small curvy items exisiting the bellypan (ala modern version of the old MV's), this would be with a dual swingarm, and a loss of 15 kilos, and re styled rear, some larger side fairing vents, keep the engine revvy and screaming! and we are good to go.

MVA Sydney
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 PM

Now this is sensible!

Headlight changed, even, dare I say a two piece look, that accentuates the front end.

More/larger cutouts in the fairings, for obvious reasons. Sharpen them a touch too.

Mirrors that look similar to the Lambo Diablo! MMMMMM mirrors!

07 F41000R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVASyd
Tont, I think you got it nailed.

Must have been the beers.
I agree, nothing too radical but yes the front headlight, mirrors and fairing around there. Yes to the four pipes, and agree four small curvy items exisiting the bellypan (ala modern version of the old MV's), this would be with a dual swingarm, and a loss of 15 kilos, and re styled rear, some larger side fairing vents, keep the engine revvy and screaming! and we are good to go.
Aah I remember beer !?!

The single sided swingarm is as significant as the four exhausts and their tone in defining the art of the MV for me. I would hate to see the single sided rear end go.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Banned

guess I better run out now and buy another, before all the changes

as far as im concerned im happy as it is

why change for the sake of change

but then perhaps its just me
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 11:26 PM

I rather like the bikes as they are, too, but I'm always up for a new look as long as it ain't too much of a change.

I know this must be a faux pas, but I've never seen an F4 in person before. I bought my brutale from an owner and the closest dealer is some 400 miles away (I do my own work). Bastards.

Nevertheless, as an uninitiated eye on the F4 and from what I've seen out there on other bikes and the like, I agree on a changed headlight, maybe even something crazy like a W of lights. However, losing the single-sided swing arm or the organ pipes would be drastic. There'd have to be some kind of nuclear fusion engine that attached to a hover apparatus, otherwise, I say those should stay.

Time is a delusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 11:27 PM

oh, yeah, and anything can always lose a few pounds.

Time is a delusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode