How did you learn to wheelie? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Cool How did you learn to wheelie?

Any one consider themself a skilled wheelie master? what did you practise on, how long did it take you to master the art and how many times have you flipped over backwards...

My next goal in life is to learn to take a proper wheelie and i must gather all the info i can...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:10 PM

www.ononewheel.com

thats in the states
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:13 PM

Watch one or two episodes of superbikes on Speed TV and that should put you on the road to wheeliedom. Don't forget the ICON gear.

They actually had a wheelie school on one episode, I think it was in So Calif
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:41 PM

I learnt to wheelie as a kid on a push bike..then a little more on a the dirt.

I used to spend a lot of time on one wheel on my RG and GSXR and I learnt to do wheelies on a road bike just by slipping the clutch and getting it to come up if you feel you are going too far back off and/or tap the back brake.

Just do it gradually until you get a handle on how much throttle it takes to lift the wheel off the ground and sooner or later you will find the balance point and work out how to stay there though I'd be practicing on a dirt bike or even a push bike to begin with if you are not confident.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 PM

There are a few sites out there. Google how to do a wheelie. Of all the bikes I have ever owned the Brutale's front wheel comes up the easiest but is the hardest to control for long distance wheelies. I can keep the front wheel up all day on a GSXR or ZX9r but I can only ride a few hundred yards on the Brutale. Maybe other people don't have this problem. I think it has something to do with the short wheel base.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 08:21 PM

I learned on a BMX bike as a kid. When I finally got my first motorcycle at age 20 I promised myself that as soon as I felt confident enough riding around normally that the wheelie was going to be the first real stunt to learn. So after riding for about 3-4 months I have been riding around on one wheel ever since. I even mastered the dreaded 12 O' Clock High Wheelie, the most elusive, rarest, dangerous and difficult of ALL wheelies. Never looped one yet, and do not intend to ever. Thank God!

Its not that hard to do. All you have to do is rev out first gear to about 10-11 Grand on the Tach. Close the throttle and wack it back open before the needle falls to far. Thats it. The front end will come right up. dont wack the throttle back open to wide or you'll loop it. Its a dangerous balance of wheel up/ wheel down but you'll get it after some practice. Dont forget you dont have a front brake when the front is off of the ground so cover the rear brake. Disclaimer: This is strictly given for informational use only. I do not advocate or reccomend that anyone wheelie their motorcycles (even though I wheelie everyday LOL!). Wheelies are dangerous and should only be attempted by capable and skilled riders. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. Also wheelies are killer on drive train and suspension. If you wheelie, you are doing so at your own risk. LOL!

Last edited by F4R312; 11-08-2007 at 01:56 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 10:22 PM

New Site Garage
Disclaimer: Don't try this at home. I am by no means a 'wheelie master', but I am certainly capable. I learned on a BMX bike as a kid, then dirtbikes, then finally on an R1. The advantage of my R1, MV, GSXR 750, DRZ400, CR250, and my since sold RC51, is that they will all wheelie WITHOUT clutching, easing the learning process. I would describe my process as progressive, my first wheelies on the R1 being floaters only a few inches off of the ground. As I mastered carrying this wheelie farther and farther from each start, I began to let the wheel rise.

I don't do 12 o'clocks, don't need to...Just high, long floaters at or close to the balance point, that can be aborted by just barely closing the throttle, then adding it back in before touchdown, for a nice soft landing. I have been riding all of my life, and my advice is go slow and stay in your comfort zone, and stay away from people. I have the benefit of miles and miles of deserted backroads to practice on!

Here's a nice one from Clint Ewing to give you some motivation!!!

Be safe and sane...

Griff
twoeleven
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
You can ride much faster when both wheels are on the ground. In the early 70's I learned to get my motocrosser back on the gorund as quick as possible over jumps to minimize air time and maximize acceleration.

Have you noticed that MotoGP bikes now have anti-wheelie electronics to go along with the traction control???

Intentional wheelies are for the SuperBikers crowd. When the front end naturally comes up a bit under really hard accelertion out of a curve, then you are using your motor properly, and you won't have to try...just exhilarate in the sensation.

Just my opinion (one of those 2 thing everyone has, the other an anatomical orifice).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 02:59 AM

Certainly in the UK they have wheelie school. Not into them myself, however done in the appropriate place, they obviously require certain skill and handeling
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 04:25 AM

Talking

I taught a guy at a set of lights once. He did a good 10m on the back wheel !

Try sitting neutrally, most guys try leaning forward, it makes the whole prospect much harder.

Just bunny hop at first, then you will progress to fuller fun.

NOTE Learning to wheely is no good for chains, cush drives, fork seals and most of your machinery.Its wiser to do this tomfoolery on a cheaper bike.
Attached Images

07 F41000R

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

Last edited by Ozboy; 11-08-2007 at 04:30 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode