Mexico - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Mexico

If anyone has ridden to and from Mexico via the San Ysidro - Tijuana border crossing, how does one get from the TJ side back? (Earlier this evening, I sat in an automobile and did not see a single motorcycle come through.)

It would appear that if one simply waited in line, the bike would overheat.

Yet lane-splitting seems impossible given the pedestrian street vendors running throughout traffic.

Is there another route, or perhaps simply a choice of time of day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor
Yet lane-splitting seems impossible given the pedestrian street vendors running throughout traffic.
I don´t know Tijuana boarder crossing, because I´m living in the centre of Mexico. But forget American way of driving. In Mexico it´s more together and relaxed, but beware of the stronger vehicles, like trucks, pick-ups and so on.
Lane splitting is possible even with pedestrians and vendors and cows and donkeys and chicken or whatever you can find on road .... Or is your signal horn not working ... then you have to go to repair it BEFORE driving in Mexico. It´s something like an insurance
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 08:30 PM

go in the Sentri lane and cut over to the normal lanes to the left between the concrete barriers and poles...do that as late as you can. I've been told if you go through Sentri w/o a pass they will impound your bike..

I've hit my mirrors on a few cars in TJ. s**it happens. I've done it the hard way too by splitting the normal lanes and avoiding vendors. fun
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 08:33 PM

I think I will just stay out of mexico on a motorcycle.

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dova80

watch your life pass before your eyes as you wait for hours waiting to cross back in a car... for people who cross frequently a bike is ideal.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika
watch your life pass before your eyes as you wait for hours waiting to cross back in a car... for people who cross frequently a bike is ideal.

I suppose so.. I have heard stories about people driving in mexico. Its just a bit to different for me..lol

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 10:35 PM

yeah i dont think ill ever go to Mexico, on a motorcycle or in a car, ive heard about way to many bad things that go on down there, also ive had someone i know disappear down there years ago.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Riding in Baja

I live in Yuma,AZ and ride on the other side every chance I get. They have some very nice roads and I've never had a problem while riding there. I always cross the border in Tecate, Mexicali or Algodones. I just ride to the front of the line very carefully and never had any problems.

I guess common sense goes a long way. Never ride at night, don't break the law, ie; guns, drugs, contraband ect. and make sure you purchase Mexican insurance before you cross. It cost about $29.00 a day for full coverage and if you happen to have an accident your fault or not they will impound your vehicle.

The road from Tijuana to Ensenada is like the Pacific Coast Hwy, and on the way back from Ensenada you can take a road that goes thru the valley and up to Tecate. The best road is Hwy 2 from Mexicali to La Rumorosa.
Attached Images

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 02:15 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dova80
This would definitively be the wrong decision. I enjoy riding in Mexico. There are great places to ride. It´s only different to over-regulated good old Germany or the US. You will get used to it instantly. Don´t be afraid because boarder crossing only. Belive me and find out! I hope,all my Mexican friends agree!
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode