Foggy Racing & MV Agusta No Go in 2008 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Foggy Racing & MV Agusta No Go in 2008

Just read this on www.crash.net.

Team Foggy Racing, owned by former four-times WSBK champion Carl Fogarty, has abandoned plans to return to the World Superbike championship.

Foggy Racing was sidelined from the 2007 world championship after failing to find a replacement for Petronas, which left at the end of 2006 following a five-year association in which the FP1 Superbike was developed and raced against the established manufacturers.

Fogarty then revealed plans for a return in 2008, as the factory team of legendary Italian marque MV Agusta no less - but this much-anticipated partnership will not happen, after the search for sponsors to back the project again proved fruitless, and the team will now be sold.

"Everyone knows that this is a difficult time for motorcycle sponsorship," began the Briton. "However, we hoped that the combination of my team with an iconic brand such as MV Agusta would have been an attractive proposition for potential sponsors both in the UK and abroad.

"Regrettably, despite the enormous excitement generated amongst motorcycle fans, this has not proved to be the case, leading us to the conclusion that the market will not support a professionally-run outfit of our size without significant financial input from a manufacturer. So I have decided to bring this chapter of my career to an end by putting our state-of-the-art facility at Burton, our race trailer and hospitality unit up for sale.

"I would like to thank all those who supported our efforts during the Foggy Petronas Racing project and I hope that the tide turns in favour of the efforts of privately funded teams.

"On a personal front I am now focusing on a number of new opportunities, both inside and outside the motorcycle industry," Carl concluded.

Foggy Petronas and its underpowered 900cc FP1 motorcycle took two pole positions and two podiums during a four-year WSBK career from 2003-2006. 2002 was spent setting up the team and developing the motorcycle away from the racetrack.

Troy Corser, James Haydon, Garry McCoy, Steve Martin, Chris Walker and Craig Jones were among the riders that represented Foggy Racing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 02:51 PM

That is sad to read indeed. I was looking forward to seeing MV Agustas on the track again inWSBK.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 04:54 PM

Hmm, does this mean MV will commission another (more sponsorship capable) team for next year?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 05:21 PM

this is terrible news just what is wrong with people not wanting to sponsor? it seems in italy and spain there is no shortage of people and companies wanting to go racing, but here in overtaxed underpaid down trodden football, cricket , rugby obsessed britain we cant find funding . maybe the large proportion of blame can be laid at the press n medias door, anything to do with two wheels is shunned like shit on your shoe, toseland is going for his 2nd wsb title this weekend and you will be hard pushed to find more than a paragraph in the newspapers. yet beckhams fatjher is poorly and its non stop bloody coverage!!! makes me angry......................ok rant over!! lol
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 05:47 PM

If you look to the past as an indicator I think you will find that, flush with cash from the sale of Husqvarna, there is no way Sig. Castiglioni is not going to go racing with or without Foggy. The Italian business equation: cash on hand=race 'til we're broke.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 06:50 PM

I think it's fantastic news....I didn't want Foggy associated with MV in any way. He's a twat.

VELOCEMOTO HD The Art of Italian Sportbikes on film.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocemoto
I didn't want Foggy associated with MV in any way. He's a twat.
+1

BTW http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10292
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Established Member

Lets all chip in, !!!!! LoL..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 11:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
I really hope this is not the end of MV's WSBK entry in 2008. It will be great for the sport when they come back properly.

Fingers crossed.

MVA Sydney
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 03:10 AM

That sucks would have been great to have them out there,So whats he going to do with all there stuff? Looks like there could be a big sale......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode