for those with suspension complaints... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

for those with suspension complaints...

...I can't recommend strongly enough setting up your front and rear sag correctly. I waited till I had about 1,000 miles on my new Brute to let the suspension settle in some, and adjusted the preload today to get about 1 1/8 (ish) inches of sag. What a difference. I had previously set the rebound and compression to their "medium" settings and found the ride to be great on smooth roads and a bit of a handful on anything less. But now, WOW. It's still very sharp handling, but just feels great. Anything less than badly rippled roads or potholes and the bike is really smooth. After a long sport ride I dialed in just a click or two more rebound, an Voila!
20 minutes, one friend to help, and I couldn't be happier with the handling of the bike. (The seat, on the other hand, still leaves alot to be desired- but I guess I'm aiming for perfection )
Really, if you haven't taken the time, you should do this.
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I plan to do this, and have a quick question regarding your 1 1/8 (ish) inch measurement.
Would you explain your measurement method? I mean, was it by lifting the chassis to full suspension extension and measuring the amount of sag or compression of the suspension settling with just the bike's weight? Or by measuring sag when you placed your weight in the riding position? And if so was that from static at rest? or from fully extended suspension?

And is that measurement for both front and rear suspension?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

hey esq'zme: I first measured fully extended suspension by levering bike onto sidestand and getting the wheel off the ground- front and back, one at a time. Then while I sat on the bike and balanced it upright (by lightly holding onto a nearby fence) my friend measured (from the same points) the now slightly compressed suspension. Initially there was too much sag, both front and rear. I increased preload and rechecked the compressed suspension a few times, and got to that 1 1/8 inch (@ 30 mm as recommended in the Sportrider link) that's been cited, as well as other places.)
I followed the procedure from this link: www.onthethrottle.com/v2/
There is a general video of the above procedure, as well as a specific one for the Brutale! (look under the "suspension" heading). It's explained easier and more clearly than I probably did here, and it really is easy. You just need a key spanner for the rear shock which I scavenged from my tool box from some older bike I used to have. Oh, and yes, the amount of sag is the same front and rear. I now have a bike that feels just fine! I may continue to play around with rebound and compression settings, mostly out of curiosity, but for the street, really it's fine as it is.
Hope this helps

Last edited by mrossk; 09-27-2007 at 12:21 AM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Thanks...just what I was looking for. Ride safe (and quickly, too).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode