Riding in Switzerland - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Riding in Switzerland

OK, looking for some guidance from forum members in Europe. I have a (slim) chance of moving to Switzerland early next year. Probably Geneva--I know a little French but zero German, so that seems like the best choice. Not to mention location, scenery, etc. But I have a few questions about motorcycles there:

- Is there a nearby track--meaning within a 2-3 hour drive? I assume the rest of the riding is spectacular...

- Is it abnormally expensive or difficult to own/license/insure a bike in Switzerland? I know cars are "somewhat" more expensive than in France/Germany, but curious if bikes are discriminated against?

- How about pricing for MVs in Switzerland--I found a price of 30,000 online. I assume that is SF not Euros? Does anybody know if there is a dealership there? The MV Agusta Swiss website directs you to Lugano-Paradiso, which is actually Italy.

Thanks in advance to anybody who replies. This won't make or break my decision, but it is a factor.

2005 MV Agusta F4 1000 AGO
2006 Suzuki GSXR750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Established Member

Many years ago I worked in montreux and my friend there had many cars and bikes, but few plates, one was allowed to swap plates from machine to machine. Made sense you could only have one registration on the road at once. great roads, great food very anal people but i like that. I don't think my neighbours in the apartment once said hello. I speak french and german but I still had a hard time conversing in the begining.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 06:56 PM
The Dude

arguably they don't speak german there anyway.

Yeah, I remember that, you can switch plates between vehicles.

Police are stiff tho.

They make lots of nice watches there to keep the elitist soul happy....

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 08:12 PM

In Swiss they do speak German, and French, and some Italian. None of them very well, but way better than me In Geneva they mostly speak French, so you're OK.
Anyway, yes, you'll find plenty of track nearby, in fact, 2-3 hours drive and you're way past Lyon, and knowing how the French people like bikes, you're bound to find tracks there. Or you can go to Italy, Torino or Milan are close enough, and I think you ver well know what you'll find there...italians love motorcycles more than anyone in the world.
Shouldn't be too hard to register your bikes in Swiss, but if you have problems, there's always France, where as a EU citizen, you can register your vehicle with no problem. All you need is a residence there, which costs roughly 200 Euros per year(I wanted to register my car in France due to very high taxes in my own country).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:08 AM

hi,
I am from switzerland, but i live in the german speaking part close to zurich. as soon as you are a residence in ch you can register without a problem a bike. prices are higher then in the us, and yes, the prices here are in swiss francs. there are mv dealers in and arround geneva. racetracks are fairly close too. smaller tracks +-200miles, bigger tracks like mugello are 350miles. contact me if you need assistance, as well as we organize mv tours and track events www.fast-travel.ch

cheers
peter sporri

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode