I was "sort of" involved in a bike crash - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I was "sort of" involved in a bike crash

Hi guys, Just want to tell you all about what happened to me today as an example to us all to ride well within our limits on the road.

I headed up into the verdon canyon today (largest canyon in Europe) to meet a friend. I rode from my place in Grasse via Castellan on the famous "route napoleon." I rode through the small town of St. Vallier at the start of the road and passed a two bikers and their girlfriends one guy had a Fireblade 954 and the other a recent (maybe this years) CBR 600. I waved to them as I passed and thought nothing more about them. I got onto the route napoleon and upped the pace though still riding well within my limits. They were a lot of cars RV's and caravans whiched slowed my progress somewhat though I was still making good progress and enjoying overtaking the cars and slower bikes on the road. I was lining up an overtake when vrooooooom a bike shot by a CBR600 with a pillion on the back which sort of shook me up a little as to that point I'd thought that I was pretty fast and didn't expect to be passed like that the next split second vrooom and the fireblade passes with a pillion a girl on the back. The riders and pillions had helmets gloves and leather jackets on but were wearing jeans, I was in full 2 piece leathers.

I was pretty put out by the way that I'd been overtaken and decided to keep with these guys. They were riding really fast making split second and in my opinion dangerous overtakes and cranking their bikes over a long way (especially considering that they had a pillion and couldn't hang off). I lost them a few times as I waited for safe over takes on the fast but twisty mountain road but caught them once I was passed the car that was holding me up. We got onto a more open road and they picked up the speed I let them go a little but kept them in sight and felt reasonably confident that once were were in the really twisty bits I would catch them as they had pillions and I didn't.

We reached the twisties and I was soon about 5 or 6 bike lengths behind the 2nd guy (I kept a little back so as not to be seen to be pushing him). Any way they hit the twisties and their speed was still incredible their bikes were leaned over and they actually even pulled a couple of bike lengths on me on the first turn as I expected them to take the turns slower. I thought at this point that they must be proffesional bike testers as there's 2 French Magazines "Speedbikes" and "Moto and motards" who regularly road test on that road and I assumed that these guys must be proffesionals. I got to about 5 or 6 bike lengths behind them again and followed them through 3 more turns they were so fast that I had my knee dragging!! I noticed the guy in front of me seemed to be taking the turns really wide but I didn't think much of it and then we entered a fast but reasonably open 180 degree turn I caught him on the entry to the turn which sort of suprised me as he didn't seem to be turning in. I turned fairly late and fast but still comfortably with my knee scaping the road. Whilst this was happening I saw the guy I was following went straight on and off the road and lucky for him he went off just before the armco into scrub land. Their was loads of dust as he laid the bike down and him and his girlfriend were engufed in the dust. His mate turned round and went back to check him as did I.

What a lucky lucky guy! His girlfriend had no injuries at all and not even a mark on her. He was pretty bashed up but with no serious injuries and his bike had gravel rash on the right side but the levers, foot pegs etc. were OK in fact except for a scratched fairing, mirror and screen there was nothing wrong with the bike!

He must be one of life's lucky guys and god must really want him to stick around as if he'd crashed anywhere else on that road he and his GF would have been seriously hurt if not dead. Lucky he crashed where he did as obviously he was riding well beyond his limit and was an accident waiting to happen. Hopefully he'll now slow down or take some classes at a cornering school. I left them and continued on my way once I was sure that I was not needed to help. I took it pretty easy after that feeling pretty bad that I'd let myself get sucked in to such fast riding on the road and thought a lot about what had happened all day. Not only could he have been killed but he could have killed his girfriend too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 04:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vatoloco
Thats what happens when u have a girl on a bike, you do stupid things lol.

but im glad everyone was ok
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I am always extra careful when I have a passenger on the pillion. My worst nightmare is to be responsible for injuring some pretty girl. It is one thing to put myself at risk. Something else entirely to place others at risk.

Glad to hear the characters in your story will live to ride again, hopefully with more sense then before.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me
I am always extra careful when I have a passenger on the pillion. My worst nightmare is to be responsible for injuring some pretty girl. It is one thing to put myself at risk. Something else entirely to place others at risk.

Glad to hear the characters in your story will live to ride again, hopefully with more sense then before.
Having your life in someone else's hands definately isn't fun, I was once a pillion on a zzr1100, and to be honest, the whole route, I was wondering how it would be best to jump off. The person who I was with knew how to ride, but going by trucks rather quickly isn't something you can get used to quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by d-_-b Tamburini d-_-b; 09-24-2007 at 11:13 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me
I am always extra careful when I have a passenger on the pillion.

Just not with the pillion itself...... Got you again, Bud.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 07:00 PM

Glad the reptile was ok!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 11:10 PM

Crashing with a passenger is tacky. Very tacky.

2008 MV Agusta F4 312 R
2002 Ducati ST4S
1998 Ducati 748
1994 Ducati 900SS
1980 Yamaha TZ250G
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 12:28 AM

I always baby the bike when there's a passenger. Save the spanking for later.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzardo
Crashing with a passenger is tacky. Very tacky.
Yep, my first thought was for his passanger as she wouldn't have known much about the crash until it happened. She seemed very cool after the event and was more concerned with her boyfriend and his welfare than kicking his ass for riding like a prick. He by the way seemed more bothered about his bike than anything else and was almost wailing about his broken bike!! A reasonable and fairly usual reaction when you crash on your own but maybe less of a concern when you've got a passenger on the back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode