Bike wont trip street light? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Bike wont trip street light?

Hey you guys ever get to one of the stop lights that triggers by a big magnet under the road, and bike is not substantive enough to trigger it so you end up sitting at the red light forever?

There is one problematic light on one of my rides and if a car doesnt come up behind me I end up stuck. So after a few cycles of the other directions I usually just go, I figure thats legal since I have stopped and since the light wont trip in my direction. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 06:42 PM

I often wonder about this myself, but I just end up getting off the bike and pushing the crosswalk button!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:06 PM

I usually just go as well, some of them just dont trip.

There is the right way, the wrong way and then there's MY way!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Established Member

There are magnets available that mount on the bottom of the bike. Do a google search. I found this one quick. www.signalsorcerer.com
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
You don't need any special magnets to trigger lights so I wouldn't buy into those trying to sell trigger magnets.

You don't trigger the sensors since the sensors in some particular intersections are adjusted for detecting larger objects with more iron in it. Magnets assist by "increasing" your iron content by creating a magnetic field around your bike triggering these types of sensors (disclaimer, i could have that wrong) (more and more they are being replaced by camera sensors ..much better). You can go to a hardware store and buy some powerful magnets and stick them on the bottom of your bike. I used to do this with my old R6 and it seemed to improve! Now i just either avoid those intersections or just make a right turn instead.

It has been discussed with LEO input and generally you can TRY to argue that:
1) Your vehicle is DOT approved
2) Any intersection that does not detect a DOT approved vehicle should be deemed as "malfuncted". A malfunctioning light generally acts as a "stop sign". It's really up to the judge on this one.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 08:19 PM

I usually wait one full rotation, then go.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 AM

Here in TN (recently passed a new law) it is legal to make a left on red if the light does not trip.....I apply the same rule if going straight as well.

A gun is not a weapon. It's a tool, like a butcher's knife, or a harpoon, or an alligator.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Established Member

A trick I learned from my Harley daze was to put the bike in neutral and then put the kickstand down (touching the ground). I always kept my foot in front of or on the kickstand for when the light changed to pop it in place, change gears and take off. (Uh, you can't have the kickstand down and in first gear if you haven't already figured that one out.) Beats "adding" anything (sensors, magnets, etc.) to the bike. Works every time.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:39 AM

^^Maybe with a big heavy steel harley side stand, but not a barley there auminum mv one.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 10:29 PM
CHB

I'm glad to see this is happening to others I have to blow a light by my house at least twice a week and it doesn't cycle. It will only turn if it is tripped. I have asked local police about this and the office who spoke with siad "you better not run that light in front of me!!" I know if I ever get a ticket for it I will be able to fight it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode