Sometimes I wonder about the mechanics at dealerships.... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Sometimes I wonder about the mechanics at dealerships....

So, I take a trip clear accross town, to make sure I'm finding the most competent mechanic for my service intervals, as this is pretty much my daily driver...so Miami, Atlanta and NC are out of the question...

I stop at the Honda/Yamaha/Kawi dealer. I ask the parts guys if they can do service on "other bikes". I get "sure, we can definitly work on anything from Ducs to Hondas to anything...but define other bikes". So I tell him it's a Brutale and his tone of voice completely changes from "We can do anything" to "Uhh...you might wanna check with service on that."

So thier service dept is at a different building, behind the sales building. I bring it back there, and this is where it gets good.

I ask the guy the same question and when he asks me about what bike it is, I tell him "MV Agusta"....then I get back "Who's it made by?"

I'm thinking to myself "I think I should just turn around and leave...." But I decide to entertain myself. The guy says "MV Agusta....but who makes it? Tell ya what, roll it around so I can look at it..." He goes to look at it and doesn't even know what MV Agusta is, let alone the Brutale.....and this is the same guy working on everybodies motorcycles??????

I'm sorry, if you don't know what an MV is, you definitly don't need to be in the service dept wrenching on bikes. Only two of the 6 people in the service dept at the time, knew what an MV was. Goes to show, just because they work at a dealerships service dept...I still wouldn't trust them to even drain my oil....

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 08:01 PM

I see it all the time....Moto Guzzi? Is that an American bike? Who makes that?

Others have no idea about bikes other than the brand or type of bike they ride. Cruiser, sport etc.

One guy asked me what bike had the most hp on the dyno. I told him a turbo Hayabusa............face went blank and told me he never heard of a Hayabusa.

Others ask me if they should read motorcycle magazines or books.
Well, if it is a passion or even a hobby why wouldn't you?

This might be acceptable from the average guy on the street,(not really) but if your profession is motorcycles, you should know this stuff!

Be afraid..........
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 08:05 PM

I've heard..."Is that a French motorcycle or something?"
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 09:02 PM

Yeah, and I bet they don't know that tires have a right and a wrong direction when fitting ....

Doc
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
"MV Agusta"....then I get back "Who's it made by?"

"MV Agusta....but who makes it? Tell ya what, roll it around so I can look at it..."

That's absolutely ridiculous. I would have made tracks out of there so fast...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogunz
That's absolutely ridiculous. I would have made tracks out of there so fast...
Agreed!! Only a MV trained mechanic would touch my bike... you pay a huge amount for the bike in the first place why skimp on the skill level of the tech??
(Unless you are trained/skilled and you do it yourself)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Oh believe me...they're definitly not touching my bike. I was just searchin around...you never know, could be a guy like I found at the Yamaha dealer (the guy that'll actually be workin on it), some old fart that knows everything about MVs, and actually owns one, just isn't an "MV tech". I was just seein if there was anybody else in town. And to be honest...showin off, just a little

I also absolutely hate when they refer me to the Moto Guzzi dealer. "Yeah, Atlantic Moto sports sells MVs." It's MV Agusta, not Moto Guzzi...wtf? Is that so hard to grasp? Just cause both companies start with an M, doesn't mean it's the same bike

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 03:10 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
"Yeah, Atlantic Moto sports sells MVs." It's MV Agusta, not Moto Guzzi...wtf? Is that so hard to grasp? Just cause both companies start with an M, doesn't mean it's the same bike

LOL
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agusta01
Agreed!! Only a MV trained mechanic would touch my bike... you pay a huge amount for the bike in the first place why skimp on the skill level of the tech??
(Unless you are trained/skilled and you do it yourself)

I'm with you Graham, we all know how expensive parts can be for MV's. Servicing can be a lot more expensive than other makes, but it has to be false economy trying to save a few £ or $ by taking it to a guy who doesn't know his Moto Morini from his Moto Guzzi. I'm very lucky. My dealership is just down the road from where I live, but bearing in mind my annual mileage on the bike is low (3 - 4000 miles max.) I would take the bike 2 - 300 miles to a MV dealership if I had to, rather than use someone who's qualifications were dubious.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 03:34 AM

New Site Garage
When the warranty is over I will do it myself. The mechanics mostly are not passionate enough to work on an MV. Even from MV dealers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode