MV Agusta Forum banner

Too soon for a Brutale?

5K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  oicdn 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I've been reading this great board for the past couple of days and I have to ask a question - I got my motocycle license 2 months ago so is it too soon to be wanting a 910R?

I've been practicing my skills on the 2008 1200 Low Sportster with no problems so far. Hubby is getting a Ducati Monster S4R S soon and was going to get me the 695 if I wanted it. It was alright but when I sat on the 910R just for the heck of it, well it fit me like a glove and it is a lot more sexy looking than the Duc.

It has more power than I will ever need as I have no desire to go 100 mph or even close (I made it to 45, might as well try for 65 :) ). Hubby has no problem in me going for the 910 over the 695 since it has been proven with the Sportster that if I get the bike I like and comfortable on off the bat, then the enjoyment of learning is that much more. Actually, we would both be learning this type of riding together since his background is Harleys.

My only concern is the touchy trottle I have been reading about. We asked at the dealership yesterday and they confirmed it is fixable. In my thinking it should be fixed before we even give them the $$.

I would love to hear your advice and experiences. Mucho thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! :)

You will get people telling you to go for it, no doubt.

But the answer is no.

You don't have nearly enough experience, despite any level of maturity, responsibility, etc.

Get the 695, ride it for a year or three, put on lots of miles, do a few trackdays.

It's not only about you and your safety; You put others at rick when you ride a bike like that, without the knowledge to ride it safely.

Sorry, but those are the facts.

#4 · (Edited)
fazer6 said:

But the answer is no.

You don't have nearly enough experience, despite any level of maturity, responsibility, etc.

Get the 695, ride it for a year or three, put on lots of miles, do a few trackdays.

It's not only about you and your safety; You put others at rick when you ride a bike like that, without the knowledge to ride it safely.

Great Advice !!!!!!!!

Regardless if the bike's throttle has been fixed, this bike still deserves a load of "respect". If you've never had an Ass-Puckering experience on any other bike.....the 910 is one that will suprise you if you're not prepared/experienced for that unexpected situation.

#6 ·
the brutale 910 is about the worst possible bike you could get due to the touchy throttle and your inexperience. one little moment of indecisiveness during a slow speed turn and fubar-- you and your bike are gonna have something bad happen by accident in a hurry.

#7 ·
I have found but one thing in this life which can please all five senses simultaneously, that being the love of a woman. Before the Brutale I considered a steak dinner followed by a fine cognac and tobacco to be the closest thing to it.

Taste? you ask....FEAR!

It's my 6th bike in 11 years moving up from v-twin cruiser thru v4 touring to naked sport. Avg. 15,000 mi. per. Been down twice, 1st and last. I'm still not ready for her but like the aforementioned pleasures a test ride left me filled with desire for more.

#8 ·
fazer6 said:

But the answer is no.

I totaly agree !

Welcome on board RebelRider !

#10 ·
I agree, way too much potential for disastor for the inexperienced rider. But I can understand the "fits like a glove" aspect.Try sitting on a bunch more bikes. You will find something that is more suitable for gaining experience and also fits well. Have you tried SV650 Suzuki? how about new Triumph Street Triple 675? For that matter, the small Ducati Monster. Kawasaki Versys? The new Aprilia Shiver? All of these bikes have plenty of performance and are less apt to get you in over your head as easily as the Brutale will (notice I didn't say 'can").

#11 ·
I'd love to say that I disagree with all these arguments, but the truth is, all the advice above is totally true!

We love prospecting and potential Brutale owners but... not at the expense of your safety. It's definately not a beginner bike and it's punishing for those lacking experience. It's very, very fast and extremely light = getting you in trouble in a hurry!

695 is still no slouch, but I' still recommend!

#13 ·
The Ducati your husband recommended would be a good choice or even the S2R1000. My wife has the S2R1000. It has a nice even throttle response, good brakes, and enough power to pass rapidly.

#15 ·
I think you are on the right track with the Brutale, but I would certainly not get the 910. You can buy a nice used Brutale 750 for a lot less.

If you are just going to ride around once in a while when you have time, get the Ducati. If you are passionate about it and see your self riding every spare minute you have, get a Brutale 750. The 910 is a different animal and I would stay away from that one.

CAG

#16 ·
I wouldn't outrule a Brutale. The Human is growing with the challenge. I remember the 1991 were I jumped from 250cc 21hp two stroke Bike onto a Kawasaki ZZR600 with 100hp. This was a challenge and a big change either. But I grew with it and got comfortable. So with some common sence and respect You will not hurt yourself or anyone else. Although I agree a 750cc Brutale would do it for the first.

#17 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded. Guess I'll look at the baby Duc again and find out how much extra it will cost to raise the handlebars, get it painted and add some bling.

See y'all in a year or two when either hubby or I add the MV to our collection.

#18 · (Edited)
Rebel Rider said:
Ms. Rebel: Don't leave us just because you don't yet have an MV! We'd love to have you and your husband as new friends. As for which scoot: I categorically agree on the question of a 910. Ducati has a new 696 coming out that you might look at as well as the 695, and the S2R1000. Enjoy and learn on a more sensible bike, mature in the sport, and join us with a Brutale when you are more seasoned. RIDE SAFE, HAVE FUN.

#20 ·
While 910R is too much of an animal to start, I can assure you that 750 would fit right.
My mom came from Kawasaki ZZR250 onto Brutale 750 and she had no problems at all.
Especially if you have been riding before, 750 is not too much to go on. But stay away from 910.
Of course, there is a problem if you want a new bike. But you can still try to find well maintained used 750.

#21 ·
Rebel Rider said:
Thanks to everyone who responded. Guess I'll look at the baby Duc again and find out how much extra it will cost to raise the handlebars, get it painted and add some bling.

http://www.zianet.com/GenMar/D103.html

#22 ·
You know, i remember this exact thread months and months ago.
I also remember that i was all for it, if you used your brain not your sack. due to the fact that my first bike was a 97 TL 1000s "man killer"
But now that i have owned my Bruty for a while i have to agree with everybody else here.
I consider myself a good rider, lots of miles and track days under my belt.
I have to tell you this bike has scared the pants off of me before.
This bike takes a special kind of finesse to ride well, a very smooth throttle hand, especially at high speed in the twisty stuff.
And its just RETARDED FAST.
To quote a previous thread.
"Its the nastiest most pissed off little bitch of a bike that i have ever ridden"
So good luck in your search and remember to keep the shiny side up.

G
#23 ·
Rebel Rider,
Congrats on getting your license... it is a big accomplishment.
I would not recommend starting out with the 910R. In my opinion you should start off with a bike that you can grow into and discover your riding style with, and at the same time gain confidence in your skills and riding ability. I started off riding a Monster 620, and spent a few years with her. It was the perfect first bike.... and i continue to ride the 620 on the track. I got my 910R last year, and it was a huge jump for me... learning to manage the power and throttle control is something that i am still working on. It is very easy to buy a bike with pure emotion, but it is critical to think about your safety on the road.

I definitely think you should go with the 695.... Maybe go for a test ride on the duc. You won't be disappointed!

Good Luck!
moto_bella

#24 ·
You should really start out on a small bike like a 600 monster, SV or even a dual sport. You will learn more and be more confident if you start out slow and work your way up. The learning curve will be faster on a slower bike, if that makes sense to you. When YOU feel YOU are REALLY ready, then sell it and buy the 910. Again, not to insult you or scare you........we just want to keep you safe and develop a life long passion for motorcycling.
Put it this way, you wouldnt let someone who just started driving hop in a Lamborghini or Ferrari would you?
Good luck and be safe! We'll all be here, ready to answer questions for any new rider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.