Li-Po versus Lead Acid, a decent article. - MVAgusta.net
 8Likes
  • 6 Post By silentservice703
  • 2 Post By italia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Li-Po versus Lead Acid, a decent article.

https://www.motorcycle.com/products/...s-vs-realities

Read it all and apply it to your specific situation.
Edward, Deano, lucydad and 3 others like this.

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from TENTATIVELYSept. 30-OCT.4, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silentservice703 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 06:43 PM

Thank you for this article.

HP

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Turismo Veloce 2105
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:16 PM
Established Member

I put a 19AH Shorai in the Dragster and it cranks like Robert Downy Jr on Saturday night. The charger (BMS) is small & light and comes with a nice cable that can be installed on the bike permanently. The Shorai is 2 Lb 6 Oz vs. 6Lb 13Oz of the Yuasa I took out.

2017 Dragster

2014 BMW R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:36 PM

New Site Garage
Just put a conventional lead-acid into my Moto Guzzi: low cost, no need for a new charger. However, when it is time for my Dragster RR I will likely opt for lithium.

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly....
2018 MV Agusta 800 Brutale RR-- "Betttina" in Giallo-Nero
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 01:24 PM

New Site Garage
I've got Shorai batteries in 3 of my bikes, and when the others' lead acid batteries die, will go Lithium in those. All my Shorai are 4+ years old and still going strong. Pretty sure weight reduction in my track bike is worth a couple of seconds a lap.
esq'z me and Brutale800RR like this.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 12:59 PM
Established Member

My brute has killed 2 out of 4 Shorai's in the last 5-6 years probably due to a gremlin batter draw and me not paying attention until 1 of the lith cells always dies. Shorai warrantied one but refused the other due to... whatever the reason. It's now back chunky AGM even though the Shorai always started the bike WAY WAY better.

The lith-ion has been running fine on the Piaggio scooter for years though. Also, that motorcycle.com piece seems like paid advertisement by Full Spectrum.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 04:09 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
My brute has killed 2 out of 4 Shorai's in the last 5-6 years probably due to a gremlin batter draw and me not paying attention until 1 of the lith cells always dies. Shorai warrantied one but refused the other due to... whatever the reason. It's now back chunky AGM even though the Shorai always started the bike WAY WAY better.
Yeah, Shorai are great unless neglected. I have 7 Battery Tender Plus's on a power strip in my garage that is connected to a 7-day timer, set to run 18 hours one day per week. Parasitic draw varies by bike, but I wouldn't let a Shorai sit for more than a few weeks without plugging into an appropriate charger for a day

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 03:45 PM
Established Member

^ thanks for the inspiration. going to get me another tender now and using the power strip & putting them on a wifi enabled plug now. should've done this years ago I think.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 10:24 AM
Established Member

Iíve always used Yuasa batteries, but my Ducati 907ie has a flat battery and used the big YTX20. It has the same battery I bought it with which is now knackered. As a result Iíve now plumped for my first lithium battery, itís a Shido one. It weighs 1.4kg vs 6.7kg for the lead acid one. A 5.3kg saving!! Thatís huge from just 1 item!! I appreciate not all batteries are that big or heavy but itíll be interesting for me to see how I get on
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 07:46 AM

Thanks. I have been debating a new battery in one of my bikes to drop some weight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode