Oil filter, chain and coolant questions!! B4 750 - MVAgusta.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Oil filter, chain and coolant questions!! B4 750

cdanlr

INTERNAL COMBUSTION RECREATION FOREVER
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brutant; 09-13-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: no longer relevent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:09 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The chain has to be slack enough that it isn't under tension when the rear axle center, swing arm pivot and transmission drive shaft axis are in alignment (tightest point in the rear wheel arc of movement). The factory specifies adjustment slack to achieve that. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN YOUR CHAIN.

Yes, you can remove the oil filter without removing the headers....but it is very tight. Some exhaust will not permit it, some will. Give it a try. I can on my 910R.

Coolant is coolant. Unless you want something extraordinary like Evans Coolant, or you are going to the track and coolant is not allowed (water only). Go to your local auto supply and buy a quality brand name "Long Life" coolant. Save your pennies.

They are all a formulation of Ethylene Glycol, even the over priced Motul or Eni and other motorcycle branded stuff.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Last edited by esq'z me; 08-25-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:33 AM

Propylene Glycol is more kind than ethylene glycol for animals, domestic and wild. It is classified as low toxicity and environmentally friendly antifreeze.

E d w a r d B4910s08

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
(Forum Introduction Thread)
2. Include your LOCATION in your profile: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
3. Include your BIKE MODEL/S in your signature: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
Special thanks to forum member Donsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:39 AM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Propylene Glycol is more kind than ethylene glycol for animals, domestic and wild. It is classified as low toxicity and environmentally friendly antifreeze.
But it does have some deficiencies when compared to the modern "long life" ethylene glycol coolants. Tried it in my bikes for a while, Deteriorated and I went back to good old "Prestone"

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Cdanlr

Last edited by brutant; 09-13-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: no longer relevant
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:44 PM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutant View Post
Thanks.
I use Honda long life coolant in other engines so I'll just use that. Just that I've seen alot of chat in the bike press and online about using motorcycle specific coolant due to the variety of alloys used in bike engines, radiators etc.
Automobile engines and cooling systems use all the same materials as motorcycles. Your Honda brand long life coolant is the same thing as cars use, just has a nice label.

The chat you hear is mis-informed or ill-informed..... or selling advertising.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:08 PM
cus

Donít forget that if you are running a different size rear sprocket to the original your tension will differ in the measurement from the swing arm point to the chain centre line. Same goes for front sprocket.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Cdanlr

Last edited by brutant; 09-13-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: no longer relevant
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutant View Post
Thanks.
I know that chain tension is critical on MV's because of the rear hub, looks like someone over tightened it:surprise......
Chain tension is equally important on ALL bikes

Pinch bolt torque is critical on MVs.......
The Factory recommended torque is wrong use ONLY 15lbft/20Nm

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Pinch bolt torque is critical on MVs.......
The Factory recommended torque is wrong use ONLY 15lbft/20Nm
You've been saying that for a long while. I'm checking mine this week. Maybe this is a good moment to remind everyone why that is... as a PSA.

E d w a r d B4910s08

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
(Forum Introduction Thread)
2. Include your LOCATION in your profile: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
3. Include your BIKE MODEL/S in your signature: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
Special thanks to forum member Donsy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode