RC Owners - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudman View Post
I have only experienced abs on a mt09 during a 2 hour test ride, I found it very intrusive and and dangerous. if I brought the bike I would of disconnected it immediately.

I'm sure it's nice to have that safety net hanging around in the background just incase of an emergency, however on the road I have locked the front wheel a few times in an emergency and I can honestly say if I had abs it would not of helped my situation at all and would of only made things worse (extended braking distances).

I found the best solution was to completely release the brake to regain full control the bike and take evasive action (steer around the obstruction albeit at a higher speed)

I'm sure ABS algorithms are getting better all the time and there are systems out there that actually work.

MY OPINION IS electronics are NO substitute for riding skill obtained by time in the saddle.

That said I brought my F3 because of the riding aids, I explored the limitations and turned them off permanently.

So your only experience with ABS is on a 2 hour test ride on a Yamaha and you have completely come to the conclusion its useless. Were you just ragging the shit out of that MT-09 to get ABS to engage on those amazing Brembo's it's clearly lacking.

2017 MV Agusta B3
Ducati Panigale 1199
Ducati SF -Sold
Ducati Monster -Sold
Harley 48
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudman View Post
I have only experienced abs on a mt09 during a 2 hour test ride, I found it very intrusive and and dangerous. if I brought the bike I would of disconnected it immediately.

I'm sure it's nice to have that safety net hanging around in the background just incase of an emergency, however on the road I have locked the front wheel a few times in an emergency and I can honestly say if I had abs it would not of helped my situation at all and would of only made things worse (extended braking distances).

I found the best solution was to completely release the brake to regain full control the bike and take evasive action (steer around the obstruction albeit at a higher speed)

I'm sure ABS algorithms are getting better all the time and there are systems out there that actually work.

MY OPINION IS electronics are NO substitute for riding skill obtained by time in the saddle.

That said I brought my F3 because of the riding aids, I explored the limitations and turned them off permanently.

So your only experience with ABS is on a 2 hour test ride on a Yamaha and you have completely come to the conclusion its useless. Were you just ragging the shit out of that MT-09 to get ABS to engage on those amazing Brembo's it's clearly lacking.
No, i was not ragging it when ABS was engaged, I was riding in normal road conditions in traffic etc, ABS cut in 3 times in 2 hours.

ABS is not for me, other people prefer to have it. I would rather crash knowing I was wholely to blame, and not because of electronics.
theknurl likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:28 PM

New Site Garage
Fairbanks, if you rode where dudman does, you would want everything to work perfectly. I've lived and ridden there (Fairford & Mildenhall) and had to deal with black ice and b roads. You want to be in control. It is not like the riding in the USA.

At STT we demo most of the new Yamaha sport bikes, R-everything MT's etc. The ABS isn't that great on any of the bikes. It is certainly not greater than a skilled rider that is doing more than braking. In my opinion only - a good track rider/racer is probably safer without it. Cheers D23

D23
CCS/ASRA #19
Staff Instructor SBTT South
'Yamaha R1 Superbike
MV F3RC
Zuma 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Gold_Saw View Post
The only thing that I can come up with is that your GF's RR versions is build in Q3/Q4 of 2018, and your RC in Q1 2019 and the new european rules are implemented in your version.
While im not 100% sure of this, the new rules say that bikes from 2019 on must have ABS ON at all times and cannot be disabled.
Just to add a little off topic how this rule is interpreted elsewhere. I did a test ride on the new MY19 Aprilia Tuono Factory SAS and the dealer asked me if I wanted to have the ABS to be switched on or off. I was curious whether this was still allowed as I heard that as of 2019 it would not be allowed to have that function anymore. And he said that the homologation rule indead stipulates that the ABS cannot be turned off as default setting, but Aprilia programmed it the way that it would always start with ABS on and then you can deliberately turn it off. When you turn off and start the engine again, the ABS activated again. In my opinion that makes more sense than having track day riding customers pull fuses and stuff...
Ducati23 and XPARAUK like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode