6Likes
  • 1 Post By theknurl
  • 1 Post By theknurl
  • 4 Post By esq'z me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

2013+ F4 Hub question

Hello

New F4RR owner here and was wondering if the weak hub design is affecting the 2013+ F4 models ?

I also read somewhere to loosen and re-tighten the swingarm pinch bolts to 20Nm instead of the 28 but not sure if that's the case with this particular model

Thanks!

- 2014 F4RR
- 2012 Brutale 1090RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:13 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The rear hub was improved in 2010. High swing arm pinch bolt torque can still distort the bearings. Torque to low side of spec, or Noel's spec ....just use a good torque wrench.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:38 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
The rear hub was improved in 2010. High swing arm pinch bolt torque can still distort the bearings. Torque to low side of spec, or Noel's spec ....just use a good torque wrench.
I'm so sick of fighting against this BULLSHIT.......I've sold over 1,200 3810-2RS bearings.......with ZERO FAILURES
TORQUE THE PINCH BOLTS TO NO MORE THAN 15LBFT/20Nm
GLADLY MY BEARING SALES ARE ALMOST ZERO......PEOPLE ARE LISTENING TO ME, NOT YOU

Ed, I tested what it took to distort the bearings did you????? you used to say it was chain tension......
So I sent you an outer race that was brinnelled 360, didn't look at it did you........if you did you'd know it wasn't chain tension
I sent one to Carl too, he didn't catch it either

What you don't know is from '65-'69 I worked in the Engineering Dept of HiShear Corp an aerospace fastener manufacturer
Guess what section? Installation Tools ......so all I worked on was feeding fasteners and torquing them
If I didn't have any work I'd go to the Metallurgical Lab and learn from my mentor Louie Ecker, formerly Chief Metallurgist
at North American Aviation for 28 years......I'd known him since I was 5

Please don't post the BULLSHIT FACTORY TORQUE NUMBERS ANYMORE
mitchy likes this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
The Following User Says Thank You to theknurl For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:58 AM
Old Wing Nut

You never sent me any dead parts Noel. Maybe Carl, not me. Anyway, yes, I know you did distortion tests and proved your point.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:42 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Ed,
I sent it to Carl and he was supposed to send it to you.......and I wanted it back but that didn't happen either

It was a perfect example of the destruction of a bearing
mitchy likes this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
I'm so sick of fighting against this BULLSHIT.......I've sold over 1,200 3810-2RS bearings.......with ZERO FAILURES
TORQUE THE PINCH BOLTS TO NO MORE THAN 15LBFT/20Nm
GLADLY MY BEARING SALES ARE ALMOST ZERO......PEOPLE ARE LISTENING TO ME, NOT YOU

Ed, I tested what it took to distort the bearings did you????? you used to say it was chain tension......
So I sent you an outer race that was brinnelled 360, didn't look at it did you........if you did you'd know it wasn't chain tension
I sent one to Carl too, he didn't catch it either

What you don't know is from '65-'69 I worked in the Engineering Dept of HiShear Corp an aerospace fastener manufacturer
Guess what section? Installation Tools ......so all I worked on was feeding fasteners and torquing them
If I didn't have any work I'd go to the Metallurgical Lab and learn from my mentor Louie Ecker, formerly Chief Metallurgist
at North American Aviation for 28 years......I'd known him since I was 5

Please don't post the BULLSHIT FACTORY TORQUE NUMBERS ANYMORE
I will def order a set from you in the future but for the time being is it fine to torque the pinch bolts to your recommended numbers or is it meant for the aftermarket system? (20nm)

- 2014 F4RR
- 2012 Brutale 1090RR
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:58 PM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowjudo View Post
I will def order a set from you in the future but for the time being is it fine to torque the pinch bolts to your recommended numbers or is it meant for the aftermarket system? (20nm)
Torque the pinch bolts to 20 nm regardless of hub installed (although Mitchy's hub can probably withstand more). Overtighten pinch bolts at your own peril.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Torque the pinch bolts to 20 nm regardless of hub installed (although Mitchy's hub can probably withstand more). Overtighten pinch bolts at your own peril.
Ok done that, thanks!

I also made sure to have the chain stretch on the loose side aswell

- 2014 F4RR
- 2012 Brutale 1090RR
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 05:11 PM

New Site Garage
wowjudo,

What these blokes said. The new hub is better but the spacers are shit. After about 30000k you can no longer torque up the hub nut without locking the rear wheel due to hub spacer wear. Then try finding hub spacers! Then buy a Mitchy hub!

Cheers

Deano

2009 1078RR Brutale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode