Hard to turn wheel on paddock stand - MVAgusta.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Hard to turn wheel on paddock stand

Something I've been meaning to ask for some time, but when my Stradale is on the rear paddock stand the wheel is very hard to move, which is a bit of a pain when cleaning the chain. I'm pretty sure I bought the right size to fit the hole, so why would this be happening? Is the shaft slipping inside the hole (ahem)?

I've noticed that when you turn it one way, it actually unscrews itself slightly, which is worrying.

2015 MV Agusta Stradale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:14 AM

New Site Garage
Pin size 42.5mm.

Well before you start doing work on the bike, first be sure to check the rear stand pin bairings are rolling freely.
Lean a bit on the pin and try to turn it. If its smoothly then check the bike.

Roll the bike forward, backwards and feel if it rolls normally or very heavy to push.
Cause if the rear wheel doesnt want to turn over you'll be dragging the bike forwards and that will cost alot of efford and will be noticable.

Small steps first: loosen the pinch bolts and try and retighten to spec between 28-32nm. See if the wheel moves freely.
Also might as well check front sprocket if everything is okay in there and clean it out of debris.
If not, like MVBERT said maybe hub maintenance might be required.

*You havent mentioned how many kilometers/miles you have on your stradale, but heres the maintenance interval for the hub
From rivale workshop manual
Attached Images

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:23 AM

Some axle pins are fixed while others are with bearings. Seems like you may have a fixed pin as exemplified in the stock stands. You might want to invest in another version. I recommend checking out what Alex has in stock at GP Racing. The Moto-D Pro-Series Single Sided Swingarm Rear Stand is good design.

E d w a r d B4910s08

Public Service Announcement
Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s
Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:35 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Put some grease on the pin.??

If the pin is screwed into the stand then it likely is not a pin that spins on its own bearings. What kind of stand are you using?

The plastic pins on the stock MV stands are known to expand (from chemicals? environment?) and get tight in the hub. Can be fixed with careful sanding to reduce diameter slightly.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:44 AM

Try spray silicone on the axle pin. --The stock pin cover is most likely polypropylene which responds well to silicone.
esq'z me likes this.

E d w a r d B4910s08

Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

The rear hub had the cush drive update just a couple of months ago and the bike moves fine off the stand, so I am going to assume the bike itself is not the problem.

The stand is a fairly generic cheap Warrior stand, as attached. I was using it previously on my old Multistrada (I might add, without this problem), but I bought a new 42.5mm metal pin to replace the much smaller Ducati one. It's a simple screw in affair, so the pin is fixed?

Perhaps I'll try some of the grease then!
Attached Images

2015 MV Agusta Stradale

Last edited by TruffleShuffle; 05-16-2019 at 07:15 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:19 AM

this is the stand I mentioned with a bearing made available from another site sponsor:

https://mygpracing.com/product/pro-s...wingarm-stand/

E d w a r d B4910s08

Bike Model/s

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruffleShuffle View Post
so the pin is fixed?
seems so... otherwise, it would spin by hand.

E d w a r d B4910s08

Bike Model/s

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:04 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The photo you posted would appear to show a bearing between pin and stand.
Does the pin rotate in the stand? If that is a bearing and the pin doesn't rotate then the bearing or something about the pin installation has a problem.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
The photo you posted would appear to show a bearing between pin and stand.
Does the pin rotate in the stand? If that is a bearing and the pin doesn't rotate then the bearing or something about the pin installation has a problem.
Indeed, and yet I thought it was fixed - so perhaps that is the problem and I haven't installed it properly (I really didn't think that was possible, but there you go). Will check later this evening and see what's up.
Edward likes this.

2015 MV Agusta Stradale

Last edited by TruffleShuffle; 05-16-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode