Brutale 920 Hates the Wet.... - MVAgusta.net
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Brutale 920 Hates the Wet....

Hello everyone, Sorry to be introducing myself to many of you this way but I'm stumped (that isn't difficult) My Beautiful 2011 Brutale 920 really dislikes the British weather.
Last week she sat out in the rain for a while and then on starting misfired like a choking Gorilla... And was even worse when I went to pull away at which point she stalled almost throwing me off like an angry donkey.
I left her to dry out the following day and her condition returned to normal.
Today we had a little rain whilst she waited patiently for me at work and then once again when I went to fire her up she again misfired and continued to do so throughout the short 7 mile journey home.
Any ideas to what may be causing this? I've got a can of ACF50 and a plan on adding extra rain protection to the bikes electrical components but it would be handy to have a better idea of what could cause this.
Many thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:44 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicesterBrutale View Post
Any ideas to what may be causing this?
Just a guess, but I would say leaving out in the rain is causing it.

Seriously, I have no idea but welcome to the forum. Someone who has had similar experiences will probably offer constructive suggestions.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:57 PM

Welcome to the forum. Might I suggest a waterproof cover with a built in heat shield for the exhaust. Other than that I'm sure others will chime in. If you do end up using a cover try to figure out a smart way to transport it. Maybe... if you can... get two covers and leave one at work for those surprise storms. A PITA but maybe necessary.

E d w a r d B4910s08

Public Service Announcement
Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s
Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks peeps, I'm not a fair weather rider and this bike will have to endure everything the British weather can throw at it including Snow and frost... An impossibility for a touchy Italian?? It'll be coming with me kicking and screaming... Surely a little rain shouldn't do any harm?? Looks like I've got a fight on my hands. 🙈

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 05:38 AM
Established Member

Sorry cannot help with the error but my 920 has spent it's life in all weathers with no issues as far as running is concerned, might take a few attempts to start it though.

Turismo Veloce
Brutale 920
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 05:40 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
There are three places I would check for water intrusion: The main ECU harness connection, the fusebox, and the dash connection.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
There are three places I would check for water intrusion: The main ECU harness connection, the fusebox, and the dash connection.

Is the right answer.

I'm a few junctions up the M40 from you (assuming your forum name includes your actual location) and it's not exactly been biblical rain recently so I would suggest that the issue will be visible as only a little rain is causing problems.

If not immediately visible and you are able, get the bike somewhere dry, covered and well ventilated and run it up. Then use a plant sprayer or similar to mist the above electrical components 1 by 1 to narrow it down.
cruiser and esq'z me like this.

Proud owner of a 2015 F4 and a graduate of the school of 'stupid hurts!'
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:38 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Also -- what about ignition systems? -- Coils - leads .. etc...

"There is no law of Nature, requiring the Universe to make sense"
"103% of all people do not understand Statistics"
"Sapere Aude -- Dare to KNOW!"
-- DKDravis --
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:26 AM

New Site Garage
could it be something silly like the plug caps are not pushed fully home and filling with water?
esq'z me and Edward like this.

MV F4 750 EVO3 2003
MV Brutale 910s 2007
Honda VFR800 1998
Honda MBX 125 FE 1983
F4 Agusta mini moto replica
Chinese Quadbike made of peanut butter (crunchy).
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin View Post
Sorry cannot help with the error but my 920 has spent it's life in all weathers with no issues as far as running is concerned, might take a few attempts to start it though.
Thankyou... Garage trying to tell me it's Italian and therefore should spend its life under a blanket but seeing as there seems to be no one else with this problem I'm guessing it's just mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode