My advice on Lithium Ion batteries & the 40A fuse - MVAgusta.net
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

My advice on Lithium Ion batteries & the 40A fuse

I've had 3 different Lithium Ion batteries in my 910R. I can tell you this... they're all the same. Well, at least the ones I bought in the $100-$120 range from Amazon and eBay (one is blue on top, others are red on top). And when they die, you will have no warning.

Lithium batteries are super lightweight. This is true. They feel like 1/4 the weight of a standard battery. They have great cranking amps. This is true. Your starter will crank faster than it ever did with a standard battery. For those who have the slow-crank problem when the engine is hot. A Lithium battery will take care of that. Lithium batteries claim they can be discharged hundreds of times without detriment. If you over-discharge a standard battery a handful of times, it's history. My experience with the 2 lithium batteries that have died on me is, the claim is NOT true. I sometimes forget to plug my bike in to float charge when I'm away for more than a couple of days. My standard battery was useless after 4 or 5 times of doing this, as expected. But my Lithium batteries died as well after 4 or 5 times of being overly discharged.

Okay, so they're not as tough as as they claim. It's still worth the price just to shed some weight, right? There's another bad thing about lithium batteries. You can't tell when a Lithium battery is about to fail. With a standard battery, the starter will sound slow to crank every time you start the engine even after it has been fully charged. A Lithium battery gives you its all or nothing at all. The last two Lithium batteries that died on me left me stranded. The bike started and ran fine in the morning. After a stop or two, it suddenly wouldn't crank at all. I jump started, but wasn't be able to go too far because the battery light on the instrument panel would come on and engine would eventually die (40A fuse burnt, more on that later). So it seems with a standard battery, cranking amps degrades as capacity degrades. With a lithium battery, cranking amps remain the same even though capacity has degraded. You just won't able to crank as long. Here's another thing... A standard battery going bad will show low voltage when you test it with a voltmeter. With my lithium batteries, they still showed over 12V. The button on top of the battery to check the battery level is useless unless the battery is dead. But you'd already know it's dead because your starter won't crank. The only way to know the health of a lithium battery is to load test it.

In the end, I still decided to get a Lithium battery for the weight and cranking amps. I just have to load test it before I ride if I forget to float charge the battery.

On the 40A fuse... I replaced mine with a automatic resetting breaker. They have breakers that fit into the same socket as the fuse. This has saved my butt several times. The 40A fuse seems to burn out when your battery is low. The battery is sucking up so much juice trying to get recharged that the fuse burns out. Without the fuse, your alternator no longer charges the battery. You can run a few miles on what's left in the battery and the engine dies. The only solution is to hook up the battery to a charger and replace the fuse. With the breaker, it trips as it gets hot and it resets itself after a minute or two once it's cooled off. This at least allows the alternator to charge the battery a little bit at a time. And eventually as the battery gets charged enough to where it's not sucking up more than 40A the breaker stops tripping. A note: auto parts stores only seem to carry breakers up to 30A. This has worked fine for me.

2007 910R

Last edited by moocowman; 04-01-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocowman View Post
I've had 3 different Lithium Ion batteries in my 910R. I can tell you this... they're all the same. Well, at least the ones I bought in the $100-$120 range from Amazon and eBay (one is blue on top, others are red on top). And when they die, you will have no warning.
Greetings Clavin,

Have you tried SHORAI with its dedicated charger? I've had mine for 10 years without fail. Every time my bike cranks I just smile given the hell's worth of battery problems for the prior 30 some years.

As a precaution towards longevity I fitted MOTOLECTRIC HICAP starter circuit. The battery works flawlessly and stores on the charger with ease, park the bike inside, plug it in. The process never gets old because the consistent cranking power I appreciate.

PS. Never blown a fuse associated to the battery.

E d w a r d B4910s08

Public Service Announcement
Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s
Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature

Last edited by Edward; 04-01-2019 at 09:17 AM.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward View Post
greetings clavin,

have you tried shorai with its dedicated charger? I've had mine for 10 years without fail. Every time my bike cranks i just smile given the hell's worth of battery problems for the prior 30 some years.

Ps. Never blown a fuse associated to the battery.
+1

Proud owner of a 2015 F4 and a graduate of the school of 'stupid hurts!'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

No. I haven't had a Shorai battery. The last time I needed a replacement I remember searching for it on Amazon, but the size wasn't available. "YTZ10S Lithium" doesn't turn up a Shorai. There's a YTZ12S, but not 10S. It's obviously available somewhere, as many MV owners have mentioned the brand. But I was in a hurry to get a replacement and Amazon's shipping quick.

Had mine been on the charger I'm sure they would have lasted longer. I'm just not in the habit of doing it. My comments weren't regarding the longevity of the batteries. It's their ability take my abuse. Most of the time, I ride daily. So, I don't have the habit of plugging it in. It's those times when I'm away on travel, we get rain for several days, I break my ribs, etc. when I forget to plug it in. I have ATVs for the family I keep on chargers all the time. Three of them have Lithium batteries between 2 and 5 or 6 years old. So, I'm sure they'll last if you keep them charged. I guess the little disappointment I have is I had hoped they'd survive my forgetting to keep them charged better than standard batteries. Still, Shorai or not, I'm sticking with Lithium for the weight and cranking amps. Next time I suppose I'll wait the extra days for the Shorai.

On the 40A fuse popping, this has happened on my bike every time I run it on a low battery and I get jump started and ride off. It probably wouldn't happen if I had removed the battery and charged it or had the bike towed home and charged. But I think the act of making the alternator do all the work of charging the battery and running all the electrics at riding RPMs is just too much for the fuse. I looked into this before and at least another person has observed the same problem. Most people are likely more careful with their bikes. I'm not proud to admit I often neglect and abuse my things. It always puts me in odd trouble normal people don't experience.

2007 910R
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 AM

I have let my battery drop down a few times (including once to the point that my charger said it was dead and wouldn't turn on) and have bump started a few times and never blown a fuse.

Proud owner of a 2015 F4 and a graduate of the school of 'stupid hurts!'
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
On the 40A fuse popping, this has happened on my bike every time I run it on a low battery and I get jump started and ride off. It probably wouldn't happen if I had removed the battery and charged it or had the bike towed home and charged.
I've rarely had to jump start a bike so looking into it reveals a range of interesting products out there to do just that, jump start bikes. These are basically secondary power supplies. Since you have a range of vehicles maybe this approach would would warrant looking into it further, if you haven't already done so.

Side note: I always thought a secondary Lith bat could be included on bikes as a standby -- pretty much the same thing as a secondary power supply. Unconnected it shouldn't drain for at least a year. That said, I imagine adventure riders have this figured out.

E d w a r d B4910s08

Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
"YTZ10S Lithium" doesn't turn up a Shorai. There's a YTZ12S, but not 10S.
I previously provided the link for your 2007 910R Shorai battery.

The world according to Amazon is an illusion but thats another story

E d w a r d B4910s08

Bike Model/s
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:22 PM

New Site Garage
Sounds strange. I have had a shorai on my Harley for 7 years now. It holds charge for at least 2 months without a charger on it. Ive had 2 batteries in that time. The first one failed after my voltage regulator on the bike failed and killed the battery and my rear LED lights. Shorai did replace it for me with a large discount on a new one.

My Brutale came with the MV branded lithium battery from new. On the pre delivery inspection the original battery wouldnt hold charge and the "upgrade" battery was all the dealer had in stock, so they fit it free of charge. Its 4 years old now, 10k miles and holds charge over winter without needing the trickle charger. I think its a "Shido" re-branded for MV.

I think you are having some real bad luck with the batteries you have chosen.

Are you using a lithium specific battery charger/tender ?

some "regular" battery chargers will kill some lithium batteries pretty quickly...explanation here : Can I charge my lithium battery with a lead acid charger? - Enerdrive Pty Ltd
nigelrb likes this.

cheers
bogie
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:06 PM

If you are blowing 40 amp fuses you may have a problem in that circuit. Maybe some corrosion
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:15 PM

New Site Garage
I had a similar problem with regularly blowing 40 amp fuses.

Turned out to be the ecu. Spiked something in there when I fired her up.
Have you got any more random faults on the bike?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode