Yes, Another Hub/Axle spacer thread - MVAgusta.net
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Yes, Another Hub/Axle spacer thread

Okay, I know there have been a couple of posts lately regarding the spacers inside the hub, but I am starting my own because of what I have just encountered with it and I don't want to muddy up anyone else's post.

Let's get the basics out of the way: I have a 2008 Brutale 910R. I bought it 6 1/2 years ago and it had 7500 miles (12,000 km) on it. I had the 7500 mile service and the 15000 miles service done on it at a dealer. From that point on, I have done all the maintenance on the bike - learning a lot along the way and very grateful to many of the members of this forum who helped me when I needed help. I first tackled my hub in early 2015 with 28,000 miles and found to my surprise that it had a 2010+ upgrade hub. From that point on, I made it a habit to check the hub at about every tire change which is at least once a year. Well, I had a couple of nail in tire situations which meant changing the rear tire more often than normal and I kind of stopped checking the hub (my bad, I know). So... all that's to say that I don't actually know when the last time I checked the hub (and when I say, "checked", I mean removed).

I needed to replace my chain a while back and had trouble getting the rear sprocket. Eventually it came in and I went about replacing the chain. My bike has 47,000 miles (75,000 km) at this point. I took the pin out of the nut on the left/chain side of the axle and the nut was loose - I felt it move when I removed the pin and I was able to unscrew it by hand. I immediately looked down between the sprocket carrier and the hub and I could still see space between the "hat" spacer and the hub, but I could tell it was closer than it should have been. Thankfully, it hadn't gotten close enough to get into contact with the hub/swing arm. I had just been reading some threads on here about other riders and that space running out and making contact, so I was relieved that I at least caught it before that happened.

Okay, so I took everything apart and the hat spacer and "floating" middle sleeve have worn grooves where the chain side sleeve had obviously been spinning independently. Both bearing sleeves looked good. I went to the dealer and it turns out that there are two "parts" of the hub assembly you can order separately and they are the hat spacer and the middle sleeve (you otherwise have to order the whole hub assembly). Obviously parts that seem to have a tendency to get worn. When they came in, the middle sleeve is noticeably heavier. It looks like the original sleeve was aluminum and the new one is steel. I would also like to point out to anyone who has not looked at the sleeves, the two sleeves that ride inside the bearings (on either side of the middle sleeve) have slight tapered edges - so their profile doesn't sit completely flush. - that's why it can wear a grove inside of the other spacers.

I inspected hub pretty thoroughly and it all looked okay outside of those two spacers. Everything is back together and I've put another 700 miles on it since

I can't believe I didn't tighten the nut the last time I had it off (and it had to have been at least a year or more, 8000 miles??), but I feel like that is the only explanation for what happened. I am also mad at myself for not keeping a better record so that I could at least know exactly how long ago and how many miles it has been since I last had it off.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience for what it is worth.

The attached images show the space between the hub and the hat spacer (worn on top, new on bottom) and the grooves worn in the two spacers. The middle spacer was worn severely on the left/chain side but also worn a tiny bit on the right/wheel side. I have also attached an image from when I originally took the hub apart years ago that shows two additional spacers with their tapered edges.
Attached Images

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R

Last edited by lc_brutale; 08-25-2018 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Added image of sleeve/axle assembly for reference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 06:14 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
The sprocket side nut needs to be checked regularly to avoid this type of damage.
Before every ride I always give the nut a wiggle with my hand to make sure it is tight.
But saying that the sprocket side nut does not loosen with the set-up in my hubs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
The sprocket side nut needs to be checked regularly to avoid this type of damage.
Before every ride I always give the nut a wiggle with my hand to make sure it is tight.
I am going to make that a habit myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
But saying that the sprocket side nut does not loosen with the set-up in my hubs.
I feel like you are trying to suggest something there...
theknurl and mitchy like this.

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 03:58 PM

New Site Garage
Just changed the back tyre and thought I'd service the hub. Sprocket nut was loose, spacers grooved. I'll be checking regularly before rides in the future.

Cheers

Deano
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 05:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
@Deano: could you post year and model of bike so this post is useful to others.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 05:11 PM

But ....... but, but, but ........ If you have the sprocket side nut retention spring-clip in place, how on earth can the sprocket nut loosen? that spigot on the clip that engages in the hole should stop it rotating if properly fitted?

Now, this raises another point...... Although my bike has only covered 6k miles, it is an '05 so is now 13yrs old. To this end, I thought it might be prudent to check the hub grease, so just a few weeks ago stripped it down and re-greased it. On reassembling the bike, I took it for a little test ride. When I got home that spring-clip was hanging loose and just about to fall off. Because the spigot on the clip does not go all the way through and protrude through the spindle like it does on the wheel side (obviously to allow ease of use of the stand) it would seem it is quite easy to think it is seated in the spindle hole when it isn't really. Yet another thing to check ......

Bike - 2005 F4 1+1s - Almost stock except for Silmoto cans & de-cat

Location - bottom left corner of the UK
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 06:58 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
@Deano: could you post year and model of bike so this post is useful to others.

Firstly I never noticed my bike had disappeared from my avatar box or whatever it's called. It was there before they fucked with the site recently. It's a 2009 1078RR Brutale.

Secondly, I went to finish putting it all back together after the rear tyre/hub service and noticed it was a bit hard to push. Loosened the sprocket nut which I had torqued to 150nM (recommended 200nM) and it all spun free again. Stripped it all again to check but it would appear the wear in the spacers is now enough to lock it all up if the sprocket nut is torqued correctly. So now it's a wait for parts if they're available and a just nipped up sprocket nut, which seems to be its natural state. I have the 2010 updated hub after the original shit itself at 5000k. Bike now has 48000 on the clock. Hub was last serviced at 36288k when the last rear tyre was fitted. Hub was fine then so in the next 10000k those grooves definitely deepened.

Cheers

Deano
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
The spring-clip thing is definitely easy to miss not getting in all the way.

In my case, the spring-clip was in fully, so the nut did not rotate. That's why the only explanation I can think is that I didn't tighten the nut correctly before putting the spring-clip in and over time it allowed the spacers to spin independently. I still can't believe I didn't tighten the nut before putting the spring-clip in...

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Firstly I never noticed my bike had disappeared from my avatar box or whatever it's called. It was there before they fucked with the site recently. It's a 2009 1078RR Brutale.

Secondly, I went to finish putting it all back together after the rear tyre/hub service and noticed it was a bit hard to push. Loosened the sprocket nut which I had torqued to 150nM (recommended 200nM) and it all spun free again. Stripped it all again to check but it would appear the wear in the spacers is now enough to lock it all up if the sprocket nut is torqued correctly. So now it's a wait for parts if they're available and a just nipped up sprocket nut, which seems to be its natural state. I have the 2010 updated hub after the original shit itself at 5000k. Bike now has 48000 on the clock. Hub was last serviced at 36288k when the last rear tyre was fitted. Hub was fine then so in the next 10000k those grooves definitely deepened.

Cheers

Deano

Deano, glad you caught it before it did some damage! That was certainly a big relief to me.
theknurl likes this.

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 10:57 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post

Cheers

Deano

Deano,this is the spacer I am talking about in the PM I sent you.
Have you still got one?
https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/attac...1&d=1535514961
Attached Images

cruiser likes this.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode