Maintenance and stupid questions related to maintenance!! - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
Majmv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Wayland, Ma USA
Posts: 82
Maintenance and stupid questions related to maintenance!!

How is the Mv fam doing?? So picked up my dream bike a couple week ago. MY10 f4 black ( drop dead gorgeous). Iím from Boston and itís still the middle of winter and I wonít be able to ride it for atleast a couple of months. So I wanted to do some basic maintenance before it sits for another 2 months. The bike was barely driven last year according to the previous owner. The bike is in my garage now connected to a trickle charger and tucked her in under a motorcycle cover. Now comes the stupid maintenance questions.
1) The bike is low on fuel and I wanna fill it up and put fuel stabilizer in it. Since Iím from Massachusetts, Usa there r few to none ethanol free gas stations here. I found a power equipment store which sells ethanol free 94 octane gas from vp racing. Should I go with this or Sunoco or shell v power which has about 10% ethanol I think. Also what gas do you guys use in us which mandates 10% ethanol in all gas stations? Can I put fuel stabil in ethanol free gas ? Or should I just not bother with ethanol free gas and just stick with Sunoco or shell
2) Iím gonna do an oil change too already ordered a hiflow filter hf567 and eni 10w-60 oil. Whatís the oil capacity cuz I downloaded a manual online and it says 3.5 kg. How am I suppose to measure liquid in kgs?? Unless itís a typing error and they meant 3.5lts.
3) coolant change- what coolant do u guys use?? Engine ice?? Does it work around town at low speeds?
4) Iím also gonna bleed the brake fluid and replace it with a fresh. Plus replace the clutch oil as well. Those look pretty straight forward according to the repair manual. So I donít have any stupid questions about that. Thanks in advance for all ur bright answers to my stupid questions.
Majmv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
Majmv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Wayland, Ma USA
Posts: 82
Also I wanna lower the ride height a little. Iím 5í10 on my license( actually 5í91/4Ē). Should I go see a dealer?? Also the bike has 4900 miles on it. Should I do a valve check now or at 7500miles as per the manual??
Majmv is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 12:31 PM
Old Wing Nut
 
esq'z me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 17,935
Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Well... Congrats on your new bike. No such thing as a stupid question.

If you want to spend too much money on fuel buy the VP. Any good brand 90+ octane E10 gas will be OK...IF you add ethanol treatment. As for percentage of ethanol, the only guarantee you have is that it contains up to 10%...but not more. I like Startron ethanol treatment, other like Stabil marine ethanol treatment. There are some others out there. The key is it is not just a stabilizer, but a treatment for the damn ethanol.
Purolater makes a better quality filter than the HiFlow. Do a search and you will find the number (I can't remember it at the moment).

The oil quantity is not a typo, but it does work out to about 3.5 liters. Put in 3 and then add as needed to get to full after starting and running for a minute, then sitting off for a minute.

I use a Long Life standard ethylene glycol coolant in my street bikes. It happens to be Suzuki brand, but that's just because I got it for free. I've used Prestone in the past. There are as many opinions and choices as there are members here. Do your research and pick your poison.

No need to look at your valves yet, or even at 7500 miles unless you just want to.

I would not lower the bike. I am shorter than you are. Learn to ride it before you ruin the fantastic handling.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
esq'z me is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
 
MV Arthur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Midtown Manhattan, NY, USA
Posts: 2,393
I commute in the city. I lowered all my pre 2009 F4's I've owned as the constant body shifting at each stop light was annoying. I dropped my first F4 a few times at slow speed and stopping. However, I haven't found the need to lower my 2013, and I'm 5' 9", perhaps 5' 10 and a half with my Sidi boots on. I would definitely give it a few hundred miles before considering it.

2009 F4 RR 1078 312
2005 F4 Tamboweenie
2005 F4 1000S
1999 Aprilia RS50
1996 Ducati 916
1959 MV Agusta TREL 125 Centomila

PAST - 2013 F4RR, 2008 F4 312R, 2005 F4 1000S, 1999 F4 750 S
MV Arthur is online now  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
Majmv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Wayland, Ma USA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Well... Congrats on your new bike. No such thing as a stupid question.

If you want to spend too much money on fuel buy the VP. Any good brand 90+ octane E10 gas will be OK...IF you add ethanol treatment. As for percentage of ethanol, the only guarantee you have is that it contains up to 10%...but not more. I like Startron ethanol treatment, other like Stabil marine ethanol treatment. There are some others out there. The key is it is not just a stabilizer, but a treatment for the damn ethanol.
Purolater makes a better quality filter than the HiFlow. Do a search and you will find the number (I can't remember it at the moment).

The oil quantity is not a typo, but it does work out to about 3.5 liters. Put in 3 and then add as needed to get to full after starting and running for a minute, then sitting off for a minute.

I use a Long Life standard ethylene glycol coolant in my street bikes. It happens to be Suzuki brand, but that's just because I got it for free. I've used Prestone in the past. There are as many opinions and choices as there are members here. Do your research and pick your poison.

No need to look at your valves yet, or even at 7500 miles unless you just want to.

I would not lower the bike. I am shorter than you are. Learn to ride it before you ruin the fantastic handling.

One of the reasons I got the Mv( apart from its looks) is this site. One reply and I got answers to all my questions. Thanks a lot esqízme.
I will probably go with shell v power and use startron ethanol treatment.
I wanted the purolator filter but couldnít find the #. Googled it and some were saying use a r1 filter and some mentioned a Suzuki so I bought a hiflow that fits my bike. Maybe I will use a purolator next fall when I store it for winter. Hopefully find the # by then.

Since all coolant is just poison anyways I will go with engine ice cuz I think it will help keep the bike cool a couple degrees which isnít much but still something is better than nothing.

I will probably wonít lower the bike and drive it a few hundred miles to get a feel of it.
Majmv is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
Majmv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Wayland, Ma USA
Posts: 82
Do I need to add ethanol treatment every time I fill up my gas with 10% ethanol or just when Iím storing it for winter??
Majmv is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
Majmv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Wayland, Ma USA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Arthur View Post
I commute in the city. I lowered all my pre 2009 F4's I've owned as the constant body shifting at each stop light was annoying. I dropped my first F4 a few times at slow speed and stopping. However, I haven't found the need to lower my 2013, and I'm 5' 9", perhaps 5' 10 and a half with my Sidi boots on. I would definitely give it a few hundred miles before considering it.
Idk how u do it in ny traffic. I am gonna try to avoid traffic the best I can. I will drive a couple hundred miles on it and see how she feels
Majmv is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 05:17 AM
Old Wing Nut
 
esq'z me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 17,935
Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Add the ethanol treatment any time you park the bike. While you're riding you are using it up, so treatment won't really help anything.

Search Purolater in this forum. It will pop up.

By the way, Suzuki uses an odd thread pitch on their oil filters. They don't fit anything but Suzukis. Honda, Yamaha etc all use a common thread pitch.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
esq'z me is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 05:19 AM
Senior Member
 
silentservice703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Duxbury, MA, USA
Posts: 20,821
Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majmv View Post
Do I need to add ethanol treatment every time I fill up my gas with 10% ethanol or just when Iím storing it for winter??
You are attempting to protect your fuel tank from the detrimental effects of ethanol.

When I fill my bike, I add the ethanol; treatment when I get home....every time.

I also have a 14 gallon fuel tank at home for top ups. This is always treated so when I use that fuel, I know the receiving vehicle is protected.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020


'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
silentservice703 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
Majmv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Wayland, Ma USA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Add the ethanol treatment any time you park the bike. While you're riding you are using it up, so treatment won't really help anything.

Search Purolater in this forum. It will pop up.

By the way, Suzuki uses an odd thread pitch on their oil filters. They don't fit anything but Suzukis. Honda, Yamaha etc all use a common thread pitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majmv View Post
Do I need to add ethanol treatment every time I fill up my gas with 10% ethanol or just when Iím storing it for winter??
You are attempting to protect your fuel tank from the detrimental effects of ethanol.

When I fill my bike, I add the ethanol; treatment when I get home....every time.

I also have a 14 gallon fuel tank at home for top ups. This is always treated so when I use that fuel, I know the receiving vehicle is protected.

Damn esqíz me and silentservice both get up way early in the morning. Thanks for all the help guys. I will post some pics really soon.
esq'z me and esq'z me like this.
Majmv is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome