2013 F4 exhaust servo motor - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

2013 F4 exhaust servo motor

Recently bought a 2013 F4. At the time I was told "Yeah, it can need a bit of throttle to start". I was skeptical but, given 2nd hand F4s are like rocking hose sh%t and it was replacing a 1098 that was, quite frankly, bonkers, I let it slide.

Today (this is a few months later), I got the message on my dash of an exhaust valve fault.

First things first: check the valve. So I stripped off the heat shield plat (noticing that there was a missing bolt) and found the following:
  • The valve is jammed in the "Open" position
  • The cables that move the valve were missing!
So I surmised that this bike originally had an AM exhaust (something I was thinking of doing anyway) and the cables had been removed so they weren't in the way. Subsequently, the valve has seized while sitting in the garage somewhere.

Now, I am aware that, providing the servo is working, it should *think* everything is dandy. My guess is the servo has packed in. Problem is I cannot find the bloody thing. If the cables were still attached I;d be able to trace them back to the motor but, as they are missing I have no way of working this out.

I found these pictures that seem to show it behind the RHS frame but I cannot a) see it or b) see big enough gap it could have sit in, nor any mouting points.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be really grateful.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 11:21 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
From the diagrams it would appear to be inside of the left side frame plate near the main frame mount.

The default position for the valve is full open (spring loaded). Check into a "ServoBuddy" to plug into the harness and replace the whole mess.

I'm surprised you didn't have a fault code before if the cables were disconnected/removed. Maybe it already has a ServoBuddy and that has failed?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 11:37 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Ed, from a guy who proclaims men do not read procedures...it is hard for him to tell his left from his right..

let alone go here: Team Double 3 Racing | MV Agusta and download his manual (which we know reveals all)....

or use the SEARCH function to find myriad threads on the subject.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Ed, from a guy who proclaims men do not read procedures...it is hard for him to tell his left from his right..

let alone go here: Team Double 3 Racing | MV Agusta and download his manual (which we know reveals all)....

Now be nice...... he's a newbie.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 12:30 PM

Ed, I was being nice in his introductory post....
esq'z me and esq'z me like this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
From the diagrams it would appear to be inside of the left side frame plate near the main frame mount.

The default position for the valve is full open (spring loaded). Check into a "ServoBuddy" to plug into the harness and replace the whole mess.

I'm surprised you didn't have a fault code before if the cables were disconnected/removed. Maybe it already has a ServoBuddy and that has failed?
I thought the same, except I thought it would be on the RHS and it wasn't there. It is the right location, I think, because I found the mounting point on the inside of the frame. So I am thinking that, as you have suggested, there may be some sort of mod that has, maybe, broken. Now all I have to do is trace the cable...

Maybe the manual kindly supplied by the poster below will help.

EDIT - It was on the LHS I'll post some info below

Last edited by isaachunt; 10-14-2017 at 05:37 AM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post

Thanks for the reply and the link to manual. I actually found the site through results on the subject so I have been reading them. I have not found one which goes along the lines of "all the bits that make the exhaust valve operate seem to be missing (we'll I think they are missing because I have not found them where I expected them to be)". The diagram I cut and pasted into the thread were from one of those threads. The point was I was stating

1) I have read this
2) I cannot find the motor where this says it is supposed to be
3) Can you help?

Incidentally, I did find the reference to these manuals in another thread and started to read through them. I *think* that is the manual I got the *second* diagram from.

The problem is I am not finding things that are supposed to be there. It is easier to find thing broken then to not find things that are missing because not finding them where you are looking might be correct IYSWIM

Aside from that; RTFM doesn't make for an interactive and useful forum :/
Digital and Digital like this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Well, I found the servo. I had to lift the tank off to see it as it is really well hidden. Photos attached which are taken from the LHS with the tank lifted and the LHS fairing removed. The easiest way to explain is that it is mounted the other side of (and to the left as you are facing the LHS of the bike) of the small fuse box.

I have not worked out how to remove it yet. There is a bolt at the top and it feels like it is not attached at the opposite corner. In my case it looks like the cables to the valve were disconnected but the motor left behind. turning on the ignition does not make the motor rotate. I don't know yet if this is because the test is purely electrical and not mechanical (i.e. a voltage check) or it tries to rotate the valve as part of the test. I would have thought the latter as either could include a power test.

Next step is to check the voltage across the connector but getting that out of the servo is proving difficult as there is very little space to work.

If there is power to the connector, given the state of the valve and the lack of cables (and possibly motor) a ServoBuddy, suggested by @silentservice703 might be the answer.
Attached Images

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 07:10 AM

Isaac (May I assume that is your name), here are some detailed pictures taken by member @910BrutaleHydrogenNorway:

Name:  Exhaust Valve Actuator LocationC.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  1.36 MB

Name:  Exhaust Valve Acuator MountingC.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  1.24 MB

Name:  Exhaust Valve Actuator Internals.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  765.9 KB

As you can see, from the pictures and the diagram you posted, the mounting bolts go through rubber grommets. It appears they then go to frame bolts. The lower mount is difficult to access but is on the diagonally opposite corner to the upper mount.

The picture I really wanted you to wee is the last one. It shows the internals of the actuator with massive corrosion and degradation that would seize the actuator and give your symptoms even if the actuator cables were disconnected from the unit as the actuator is frozen in place.

Chuck

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Email/Paypal:

'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaachunt View Post
Thanks for the reply and the link to manual. I actually found the site through results on the subject so I have been reading them. I have not found one which goes along the lines of "all the bits that make the exhaust valve operate seem to be missing (we'll I think they are missing because I have not found them where I expected them to be)". The diagram I cut and pasted into the thread were from one of those threads. The point was I was stating

1) I have read this
2) I cannot find the motor where this says it is supposed to be
3) Can you help?

Incidentally, I did find the reference to these manuals in another thread and started to read through them. I *think* that is the manual I got the *second* diagram from.

The problem is I am not finding things that are supposed to be there. It is easier to find thing broken then to not find things that are missing because not finding them where you are looking might be correct IYSWIM

Aside from that; RTFM doesn't make for an interactive and useful forum :/
I have to respond to this. There is a standard when approaching motorcycle maintenance. LEFT and RIGHT are observed as if you are ON the bike riding. The manual clearly states this in the "How to Use This Manual" section. Your initial interaction with me left me with the opinion that you believe you are better than those who wrote the book. Frankly, that set me on edge.

This morning, I researched the Parts Manual, the Maintenance Manual, and searched the forum using the Advanced Search function in the TOOLS menu. I did this not because I was unsure of my skills as a MV Agusta mechanic, nor because I was unsure of my forthcoming answer to your query; but, I did it because I wanted to refresh my memory and find the correct answer - again. "Repetition is the key to learning." (H. G. Rickover)

That research took me all of 30 minutes. I enjoyed a nice cup of coffee doing it and I now have some archived pictures that are easier to access.

The point is, we get many questions on the forum from people who are too lazy to simply RTFM, IYSWIM.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Email/Paypal:

'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode