Limestone quarry dust on bike - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Unhappy Limestone quarry dust on bike

Was meant to ride into Wales yesterday but mate who lives over that way bailed on the ride as there was some rain forecast and was fearful of having to polish the bottom of his crankcases again (serious OCD...). So self and another mate rode into the Cotswolds, other direction and better weather forecast, for lunch at a pub in Hook Norton.

It occasionally rained lightly for the first hour or two, nothing that required waterproofs, so the road varied from moist to dry in places. At one point we passed the entrance to a quarry which had a layer of limestone dust stretching about 1/4 of a mile in either direction from lorries exiting the site. Due to dampness of the surface this was liberally spread across the nether regions of my TVL. I understand that limestone dust is particularly corrosive so once home I thoroughly washed the bike with a soak, SDOC100 and rinse and agitate with a soft brush where I could reach, externally it looks good again now. However, any moisture would have likely carried this solution into the deepest recesses which is giving some rise for concern in the medium to longer term. Will go and spray some WD40 into anywhere I can reach this morning in the hope that this will help. Any other suggestions short of a full strip down?

Interesting chat with the time-warp beer delivery drivers at the pub!

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 05:48 AM

I though there was someone doing the ACF50 corrosion treatment in the UK for bikes. GL

even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!!

Last edited by lefin102; 04-01-2017 at 06:24 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Yes, various locations. Usually done before winter but not a bad idea to thoroughly douse the bike. Thanks for suggesting.

Tried to get my local guy to do mine late last year but he'd had a spell in hospital and want taking bookings. Bought the liquid myself but didnt find the time to apply it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 08:13 AM

New Site Garage
WD40 would be my suggestion too.

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Have done some application of WD40.

New AllYearBiker franchise in Hereford (local to me), have fired off an email to them.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:11 AM

New Site Garage
TV's look a little different to how I remember ^^^, yours has furr, damn quarry dust. lol.
I would on this rare occasion get out the pressure washer (I never normally use one on a bike) and carefully spray in the area's that are effected keeping away from bearings and seals just to be sure its all gone and then dry, spray WD40 and leave for a while to soak.
I love the smell of WD on an engine reminds me of my yoof polishing up the 2 stroke, quick squirt of the WD brings out the black nicely, no silicon polish in them days.

MV F4 750 EVO3 2003
MV Brutale 910s 2007
Honda VFR800 1998
Honda MBX 125 FE 1983
F4 Agusta mini moto replica
Chinese Quadbike made of peanut butter (crunchy).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 12:49 PM

I would've dried off everything with compressed air or a leaf blower

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:06 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Red face

ACF50 in an aerosol is good I have done mine and it looks great . iF you read the website the can can do two treatments . I used the whole can with a load of newspapers underneath sprayed liberally and left to soak for 24hrs. It does creep and can be messy afterwards but it works. Absolutely do not get it on the pads or the discs. I have used it mixed with parafin as a freeing oil before.

It brings black plastic up like new and protects it as well. I spray a small amount into an old ice cream container and use a childrens paintbrush and the small foam type paintbrushes from a kiddies kit to apply into small gaps.

Well worth it. Lots of smoke on first start up but it vaporises around the engine.

I also use the ACF50 GREASE it is mega and has dielectric properties for electrics.

ACF-50 Anti Corrosion Treatment

Corrosion Block - Anti-Corrosion compound, oil and grease

Keep your MV in good repair: motorcycle boots are not designed for walking.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:34 AM

New Site Garage
I am bout to apply some ACF 50 to my bike and I am OCD about keeping her shinny, not riding in the rain often.

On greasy areas, sprocket, brakes and belly of the Tre-Pistoni, I use Simple Green. I do use the pressure washer, but I know where to spray hard and where to go light. I have always used it on my KTM dirt bikes and it works great.

Terry_________________________________________
Tecumseh Minibike, SL 70, KE 100, XR250L, KLR650, ST800, XR650L, 525EXC, 450EXC, GS1200R, 2016 TVL 800
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode