Lithium battery repair/modification anyone ? - MVAgusta.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Lithium battery repair/modification anyone ?

So I received this from a member, it would charge but still showed 9.6V across the terminals. So I hooked it up to my Li specific charger which ignored it with "broken connection" message. Tried hooking it up to a regular battery charger and still no luck or effort.

Since it's now dead I decided to cut it open and see if it's repairable or can me modified to be used in my track bike if it's not good enough for a road user maybe.

The BMS system obviously has inbuilt short circuit protection, lose items from under seat storage touched battery while going over a speed bump in town, causing bike to cut out instantly.

I'm thinking of de-soldering all the cell's to remove the circuit board at the top, then using copper plate links to re-solder into the configuration that will give me the correct voltage.
This should then charge ok on my charger I recon, and I can pop into the 2nd bike for track days or coaching.

What do you guys think ? Anybody done this before ?
I recon it should work the same as what the original Lithium batteries used on race bikes which had no BMS system or protection.

I wouldn't want to use it on a road bike with lights and lots of charging, but I think for my second track bike it should be ok ?
Attached Images

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 09-30-2016 at 04:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 10:20 AM

New Site Garage
Maybe it's just me but seems buying a new one would be easier.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 10:25 AM

Uhhh, fire hazard maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 10:27 AM

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingertight View Post
Maybe it's just me but seems buying a new one would be easier.
Duh , great input man, who would have thought of that. The bloke has no money (like me) I gave him my spare, so I'm trying to make it work before it goes in the bin "Mr. Silver Spoon".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDUBB View Post
Why would you think that's even remotely related, they short circuit the battery? Any decent input ?

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Last edited by Donsy; 09-30-2016 at 04:43 AM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
It's days like this that I miss Lee dearly :-)

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 12:20 PM

New Site Garage
Okay so practical advice. I'm no battery expert but I do know this. The protection circuit is there for very important reasons. Among them are:
1. They keep the battery from charging above its safe voltage.
2. They keep the battery from discharging below its safe voltage.
3. They regulate the current draw so it is not higher than the battery can provide.
I think in any application, using a lithium ion battery without the proper protection circuit is dangerous and since they are prone to explode or catch fire, if one doesn't have the money to buy a new battery, one won't have the money to fix a burning bike.

Love you Dons. And I mean that in the most sincere and manly way.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingertight View Post
Okay so practical advice. I'm no battery expert but I do know this. The protection circuit is there for very important reasons. Among them are:
1. They keep the battery from charging above its safe voltage.
2. They keep the battery from discharging below its safe voltage.
3. They regulate the current draw so it is not higher than the battery can provide.
I think in any application, using a lithium ion battery without the proper protection circuit is dangerous and since they are prone to explode or catch fire, if one doesn't have the money to buy a new battery, one won't have the money to fix a burning bike.

Love you Dons. And I mean that in the most sincere and manly way.
Now that's better, thanks mate.

Ok, I've posted various threads with info on Lithium batteries in the past, so I'm well aware the affects and dangers of these cells.
I'm also well aware of the differences between the various Lithium batteries, which incidentally very few guys on this forum are, you know ...... Lithium Iron, Lithium Ion, Lithium Iron Phosphate .......etc.
I also know that only some of them have this inbuilt safety system, and that this particular system is not the same as used in say Ballistic, Shorai or the Racing batteries which I also have here.

Then there's the fact that many companies used to buy and supply the A123 Lithium Phosphate cells seperate, many people or companies used to and still use these to make up custom configurations for various applications. Google eBay and YouTube for info and construction versions, something like this -
http://www.ebikeschool.com/how-to-bu...m-18650-cells/
It's watching this that has me wondering if I could save these cells in a similiar fashion. It will go into my bike, so no overcharging and other influences, it's just plain curiosity and thinking outside the box.

Therefore wondering if anybody else had done any work on these specific cells, successfully, without purposefully blowing them up.
These are obviously the "pouch" style cell's. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._battery_cells
There is also BMS systems available very cheaply on eBay which is good for self installation if push comes to shove. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Battery-P...3D162200869725
Attached Images

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Last edited by Donsy; 09-30-2016 at 10:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donsy For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 11:18 AM

New Site Garage
IMHO, if there is a protection board out there on the cheap, it might be worth it from a strictly safety/no guessing perspective for only $14 AU.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Yup, I was heading that way, but didn't know till after I starter this thread.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode